• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What's The Last Movie You Watched? VIII - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it did then this movie melted my mind.

MPW-30819

9/10

In theaters, HP7 part 2. Loved loved loved it. :)

At home, Date Night. It wasn't anything special, but it was good ... And I like Steve Carell and Tina Fey.

I probably am being unfair--they probably did as good a job as they could with all the material. I did like the expanded fight, but Harry's verbal smackdown of Voldemort isn't there and that for me was the climax of the entire series! Harry strips Voldemort of his name, his mystery, and his ego. He morally triumphs over the dark lord without having to raise a wand, if I remember right, especially since he also gives Voldemort a chance to repent. And he lets Voldemort know that Snape was disloyal to him. Harry destroys Voldemort there without touching him.

That's nice and all and works for the book, but you do realize, it's just them circling eachother with a lot of dialogue. What a bore to watch on film.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 - 9 or 10 out of 10

I should have posted this on Friday but I've been busy all weekend. But seeing it on Friday with a packed crowd and this being a genuinally great film made this an great experience. Completely satisfying. It was a smart decision to dedicate 80% of the film to the battle of Hogwarts. I was worried about the timing of all the scenes and what they had left. But it occurred to me quickly (for the best in terms of how the beginning scenes unfolded) they were saving the bulk of it for Hogwarts. I do think it was smart to split this up into two films. The money is a factor of course, as the numbers this weekend are evident, but story wise, had this be one film, no way some of these scenes would have gotten the detail that they deserved. There is a lot of essential story elements in the book that you can't really miss. The filmmakers barely make any changes, but it works, and the changes are good and justified. Hell, there are parts that are better than the book, as unfair as that may be to say.

The highlights of the book are also the highlights of the film. And the ending just filled me up with a lot of emotion. After ten years, seeing each film on opening day finally came down to this and ending on such the perfect note. Reminding us of the past while celebrating the present. It's all there. So yeah, there's isn't really any problems I have with this film. I can't believe it's over. But what a terrific run this story has had. It's been quite the personal journey for me and millions of other people. I'm glad and fortunate to be apart of the generation that witnessed it from start to finish. It just goes to show how lucky we all are that we're getting to see all these huge films that have happened over the past decade in general. I'm going onto college in August and I remember being nine and watching the first film in theaters in 2001. What a fitting end of all things. For Harry and his friends, and mine.

Black Moon

I bought this with Zazie dans le metro recently. Haven't seen both, but I have faith in Malle.:cwink:

Ripley's Game - 8.5/10

Enter the Void

I can't reach a conclusion I'm happy with. It's a head trip that's at times rash and literalized but still so inviting and transcendental to its repulsive, disgusting world. I like movies that scar, save certain experiences like the last two Transformers movies, and Gaspar Noe delivers something that doesn't hold back, for better or worse.

RANGO!

someone here said the film was too kiddy, so I never went to see it. Rented it last night and LOVED it. Whoever said it was a kids film was on crack.

Recount 9/10

If you haven't seen this movie, I urge you to find and watch it. It's about the 2000 Presidential Election. Has a great cast too. Kevin Spacey, Denis Leary, Laura Dern and Tom Wilkinson

That's nice and all and works for the book, but you do realize, it's just them circling eachother with a lot of dialogue. What a bore to watch on film.

Kind of like how Batman and the Joker just sitting and talking to each other across the table is a bore? :woot: ;)

Not to single you out personally, but I never understood the "bore" argument. I also never understood the idea that having some streamlined form of their conversation negates any extension of the battle that may precede it (not saying you personally think this). By all means, I wanted and loved the extended fight, and I'm not crying over lost moments. It's just that I can't for the life of me figure out why some think that Harry and Voldemort, [BLACKOUT]both mortal,[/BLACKOUT] circling each other in front of staff and students in the ruins of Hogwarts as the sun cinematically threatens to rise in the background, all leading up to the moment after 10 years...is boring.

But that's just me I guess. In my mind, I always envisioned such rich cinematic potential for the moment, including the previously mentioned looming sunrise, the tension and electricity in the air, and the admiring eyes of all that Harry [BLACKOUT]died to protect.[/BLACKOUT]

Having said all that, I did like what they did in the film. :)

My oh my this was painful to sit through. The pacing was unnecessarily slow, most of the characters were one-dimensional stiffs (Mickey Rourke's role especially), the script was sub-par, and the focus seemed to be mostly on Stark's inclusion in The Avengers. That would make sense since this is mainly a tease for The Avengers film, but I would expect some effort to create a decent stand alone flick.

As far as I'm concerned, the filmmakers failed to create any sort of captivating
experience throughout most of the movie and this is disappointing given the fact that I thought Ironman was pretty good.

5 or 6/10

The only plus side was the last 25 minutes or so during the battle sequence.

Last edited:
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 9/10

Kind of like how Batman and the Joker just sitting and talking to each other across the table is a bore? :woot: ;)

Not to single you out personally, but I never understood the "bore" argument. I also never understood the idea that having some streamlined form of their conversation negates any extension of the battle that may precede it (not saying you personally think this). By all means, I wanted and loved the extended fight, and I'm not crying over lost moments. It's just that I can't for the life of me figure out why some think that Harry and Voldemort, [BLACKOUT]both mortal,[/BLACKOUT] circling each other in front of staff and students in the ruins of Hogwarts as the sun cinematically threatens to rise in the background, all leading up to the moment after 10 years...is boring.

But that's just me I guess. In my mind, I always envisioned such rich cinematic potential for the moment, including the previously mentioned looming sunrise, the tension and electricity in the air, and the admiring eyes of all that Harry [BLACKOUT]died to protect.[/BLACKOUT]

Having said all that, I did like what they did in the film. :)

The dialogue in the book from what I remember would have been too long for a movie. They could have shortened it, but from what I remember, it was more about how Voldemort will never experience love and everything and blah blah blah what has been brought up in the films already. We as the audience already know the subtext of everything at this point. Batman and the Joker had them sitting at a table with Joker doing most of the talking. In a completely different film and in a completely different context.

The dialogue in the book from what I remember would have been too long for a movie. They could have shortened it, but from what I remember, it was more about how Voldemort will never experience love and everything and blah blah blah what has been brought up in the films already. We as the audience already know the subtext of everything at this point. Batman and the Joker had them sitting at a table with Joker doing most of the talking. In a completely different film and in a completely different context.

I agree. I loved their final confrontation in the book, but it was a ton of exposition and I think it ran the risk of dragging on in a movie. I kind of liked that Harry tried to explain it to him (and he sounded scared ****less as he tried), but just like in the book, Voldemort didn't want to hear it.

Voldemort was never going to understand. But Harry finally did, and that was more important in the long run.

Full Metal Jacket

I bought this with Zazie dans le metro recently. Haven't seen both, but I have faith in Malle.:cwink:

Black Moon is something else...a French New Wave version of Alice in Wonderland maybe. I've only see one other Malle film, Elevator to the Gallows, and I've been meaning to check out more, especially Zazie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"