What's The Last Movie You Watched?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bone Tomahawk - 9/10

****ing excellent. :up: This is how you do slow burn. With intriguing character build that culminates in a jaw dropping third act. I can't wait to watch Brawl In Cell Block 99 now.

:up:

Entertaining mesh of Die Hard and Towering Inferno that feels like an expensive B movie that tries to cram in way too many elements and has a lackluster finale.

6.5/10

Brawl in Cell Block 99 - 10/10

Jesus Christ, count me in on the S Craig Zahler train. What films besides Blade Runner 2049 and this came out in 2017? This made me forget them.

I'm anxiously awaiting Dragged Across Concrete.

Last edited:
ftvpcFSFGHKPG4s7W48eJUkUUUV.jpg

Black Sabbath - The End Of The End (2017)

The concert movie from their last gig which took place in their hometown Birmingham. Also with interviews in between and some songs that they play in a studio (which they haven't performed in decades), like The Wizard with Ozzy on harmonica. After the last live extra number, we see them perform Changes in the studio, which is just Iommi and Butler on keybords, and Ozzy on song. That was a bit emotional.

Would've loved to see more studio stuff like that since there's lots of old great (but less "concert friendly") songs they could've played in the studio shots, and also since the live show is rather short IMO. But over all I enjoyed this last goodbye from the Sabs.

Seagal swaggers around a small Appalachian town in a series of snazzy jackets, whooping Kris Kristofferson's henchmen on the way to bringing down his toxic dumping business. The plot is all over the place and this was arguably the start of the barely mobile Seagal, but the film has a certain charm and a closing song written by Seagal and performed by Richie Sambora. :D:

6.5/10

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018)
Yoga Hosers (2016)

A Ghost Story (2017)

A rewatch of a huge favourite from last year. Still a truly beautiful flick.

Atomic Blonde (2017)

Another rewatch. I remember this getting a lukewarm reception, but I still enjoy this flick, althouth it has some flaws. Theron is such a totally badass here, and I love the cast of MacAvoy, Goodman, Boutilla and others (like my fellow countryman Bill Skarsgård in a small role, who went on to play Pennywise).

AVP: Alien vs. Predator

Excellent creature and practical effects, they hold up very well. Essentially a streamlined, less pretentious version of Prometheus with some good creature action to boot.

aqg0kGm.jpg

Mandy

By far one of the most imaginative and ghoulish movies that has come out this year. While the plot may be pretty straight forward (and it is), everything else feels like a fever dream that has come to life. Imagine if you're stuck in purgatory but your destination is actually on your way to hell... this is what this movie feels like. I guess you can say this is what every heavy metal fan from the 70s/80s had in their head when they were listening to bands like Dio or Black Sabbath. And what helps the incredible visuals is the incredible score and the late Jóhann Jóhannsson for my money produced his best work. As for the performances, it's mainly Nicolas Cage's show and he delivered a somber yet unhinged performance. He also has his Nic Cage rage moment and it was glorious. I also thought Andrea Riseborough was great as always and man she's such a great great chameleon actor. And holy hell, Linus Roache was so far removed from his role as Thomas Wayne. He was incredible. And for what little time he had in this, Bill Duke was Bill F**kin Duke. If I had any complaints it would be the simple plot and I would have love to see them go all out on the gore early on. Overall, it's a fantastic art house horror revenge flick and this would make for a great double feature with Revenge which also came out this year.
9.5/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"