Transformers What's your biggest gripe so far?

I will definitely buy the new Optimus Prime if they make a quality one. A Masterpiece version would be incredible...I don't mind shelling out the money.

nosebleed said:
I will definitely buy the new Optimus Prime if they make a quality one. A Masterpiece version would be incredible...I don't mind shelling out the money.
i want an actual metalic one......

but not before buying a BB:cwink:

I'm only buying Optimus if they release a alternate version with his G1 colors.

The only things that'll stop me from getting BB and Prime will be that i'm either flat broke or dead lol

BB was the whole reason why i got interested in the movie and Prime just cemented it.

People are leaning hardly on Bay, when in fact the screenwriters are the real villains here.

It's BAY who decides the look of the 'Formers, not the screenwriters.

Cosmic said:
Scorponok is definitely a part of G1. He came along very late in the line as the leader of the Decepticon faction of the Headmasters. He has also made appearances in the cartoons.

Soundwave was one of my favorites, but I can understand the difficulty in bringing him into a live-action movie. I've yet to hear of a way to do it that really sounded like it would work, and look cool onscreen. They can decide what to do with Soundwave later, if and when it's time to talk sequels. I don't know what the hell is going on with Starscream, though.

In regards to Masters of the Universe, I always thought the villains they created for the movie were awesome. I know you were dying to see MER-MAN, STINKOR, and JITSU make it into the film, (so was I) but I thought the new villains were a perfect fit. And the original characters were on spot, for the most part.

I agree with you on X3, though.

I don't disagree with your comment on MOTU. Funnily, it had A LOT going for it... not the least of which was an awesome(!) performance by Frank Langella as Skeletor and also the creepily beautiful Meg Foster as Evil-Lyn (those are her real eyes!)--- talk about perfect casting!
What ruined it was 1) Horrible director, 2) low budget, and 3) over-reliance on human characters and Earth setting instead of Eternia and 4) complete unfaithfulness to the original story (where's Prince Adam, Orko, and Cringer?).

About the only difference between MOTU and the new TF movie from my point-of-view is the bigger budget. Everything else is pretty much the same in terms of unneeded reimagining.

3 Dev Adam said:
It's BAY who decides the look of the 'Formers, not the screenwriters.

The designs are not nearly as disastrous as the script. I actually never had a problem with them, and judging from the trailer they seem to work just fine.

And to be perfectly honest, people who still complain about them not being “transformer-ish” enough sound a little insane to me.

You know, this TINO thing. This is where the geekyness becomes preposterous.

I mean, come on. They’re definitely transformers. They are giant robots who disguise as vehicles and you have the autobots and the decepticons and the leader of the autobots is Optimus Prime who’s a truck and you have Bumblebee who befriends a young human and so on and so forth.

The question the fans should be asking is “is this going to be a good transformers story

The answer is no it won’t, but the fans seem to care more about Megatron not having a mullet. Way to go fans.

Headless Knight said:
The designs are not nearly as disastrous as the script. I actually never had a problem with them, and judging from the trailer they seem to work just fine.

And to be perfectly honest, people who still complain about them not being “transformer-ish” enough sound a little insane to me.

You know, this TINO thing. This is where the geekyness becomes preposterous.

I mean, come on. They’re definitely transformers. They are giant robots who disguise as vehicles and you have the autobots and the decepticons and the leader of the autobots is Optimus Prime who’s a truck and you have Bumblebee who befriends a young human and so on and so forth.

The question the fans should be asking is “is this going to be a good transformers story

The answer is no it won’t, but the fans seem to care more about Megatron not having a mullet. Way to go fans.

I think you're right... but I also think even the most simplistic scripts can be made awesome by a director with talent (as an example IMO: History of Violence). Vice versa, pretty good and even great scripts can be ruined by bad directors (IMO Fantastic Four).

After watching The Island and MI3.... I have feeling Orci & Kurtzman probably turned in a pretty OK script after all the revisions in the end. It's up to Michael Bay to dumb-it-down and ruin it (as he always does).

As for the designs... they've grown on me. But it's the multitude of little things that I think have people dismayed. With the exception of Prime... there just doesn't seem to be a recognizable vibe that we all knew (Vulture Starscream? Megs sans arm cannon? Kick-ass tall Bumblebee? Monster-like, Creature-feature Decepticons?) Lots of little things contribute to an overall VIBE that is not Transformers and seems to border on parody.

I got over the designs long ago, Prime and BB have grown on me. Heck for a while I was all excited, it was either last week or earlier that I took a pessimistic stance; what caused this were certain details, one of which is the over dependence and focus of the humans, a fear of them getting a major focus at the cost of the cybertronians and some of the irksome cliche's.

Once again the best Transformers series ever only featured prehistoric primates that would evolve into humans.

Who were the main characters? The freaking Transformers.

My prediction:

Beast Wars > Michael Bay's Transformers

It always seemed odd to me that Bay gets his name in that first teaser. It rubbed me the wrong way. Now the first teaser trailer kind of shows me why.

Headless Knight said:

That has been my number one worry...but I'm not going to spoil myself by reading the script.

A lot of people haven't read the script. I bet the ones who bash the designs are like myself, they judge the designs as insight onto what the story might be like. If the production cares so little about remaining faithful to the story to change the designs so drastically then what more with the story?

nosebleed said:
A lot of people haven't read the script. I bet the ones who bash the designs are like myself, they judge the designs as insight onto what the story might be like. If the production cares so little about remaining faithful to the story to change the designs so drastically then what more with the story?

But I think the change in design is necessary. The Formers wouldn't be nearly as flexible if they went by their original design. The look that we're seeing now allows them to be more agile and fluid with their motion. I know the argument is, "Well, with a good budget towards cgi development they could make it happen". Sure, but it's not believable in a real world setting. I know the other argument is about the faces being so different, but we haven't seen these things talking, emoting or even acting. There's no way, as of yet, to tell how their personalities are going to come across.

They actually tried the original designs first and they just didn't work. I've been reading "The Concise Bob Orci" thread on the TransformersMovie boards where they discuss this. It's some really good reading and I highly recommend it. You can find it here http://boards.transformersmovie.com/showthread.php?t=4930

I know they say they tried the original designs and they didn't work...but they were able to keep enough resemblence to Optimus to make him look modernized and nostalgic. What's the reason for not doing with with the rest of the Transformers?

I don't know. I'm too mesmerized by your avatar. What was the question?

nosebleed said:
I know they say they tried the original designs and they didn't work...but they were able to keep enough resemblence to Optimus to make him look modernized and nostalgic. What's the reason for not doing with with the rest of the Transformers?

Yeah... I think Optimus Prime is outstanding. Even the damn flames grew on me. Bumblebee... not so much. And Megs and Starscream?... Not at all. What bothers me the most about the Decepticons is that in the script their characters match their monstrosity. They're animalistic. Starscream is described as "vulture like" in demeanor and Megatron is just an indiscriminate killing machine a la Aliens.

Avangarde X said:
Go to page 268 of the Picture Thread :up:

And you won't find nothing there, cause the Megatron pictures weren't released yet. Only concept arts.

3 Dev Adam said:
And you won't find nothing there, cause the Megatron pictures weren't released yet. Only concept arts.

:huh: :huh: :huh: Its still a pic of Megatron, if he asked for the final design then I wouldn't have posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"