BvS When And How Did You First Encounter Superman And Batman?

KRYPTON INC.

Incorporated Kryptonian
Reaction score
Iconic fictional heroes around since the 1930's Superman and Batman are mainstays of pop culture, as such, from comic books to cartoons to film and tv and now even the web, people across the decades have first encountered in myriad of ways at different times over their life. So, at what age and in what way did these two super heroes first come into your life and turn you into a fan? Share your story here.

Batman '89 made me a fan as a child, but I'd had limited experience with the Adam West TV show before that. I watched and liked the Superman movies before that.

Batman '89 made me a fan as a child, but I'd had limited experience with the Adam West TV show before that. I watched and liked the Superman movies before that.

About how old were you?

9 for Batman. I'm not sure about the Superman movies. I don't remember which of them I saw first, either, but I was always most into Superman II.

For Batman it was Batman: the Animated series that i watched as a kid at the age of 6, which in fact was my own introduction to the world of comic book characters and the DC world, in other words B:TAS is what made me love the DC universe in the first place.

For Superman it was coincidentally Superman: the Animated series for me, from watching Batman first seeing this show for the first time and seeing all the amazing powers and feats of strength Superman can made me awe with sheer joy as a child especially seeing a cartoon character fly for the first time in my life.

So all in all Timm & Dini's DC Animated Universe from the Animated series to the Justice League shaped my love for comic book characters as of now.

Makes me sad knowing that kids these days never experienced te joy of the DCAU instead resulting into nonsense like Teen Titans Go, lol.

Superman (TAS and STM)

Batman (TAS)

Michael Keaton indirectly introduced me to The Dark Knight Returns. Been hooked ever since.

Adam West
Christopher Reeve

Can't remember the age but I saw the Richard Donner Superman in theaters as a kid, maybe 7. Then my brother and I started collecting comics. He loved DC, I was more of a Marvel guy, but my favorite comic was always The Brave and the Bold.

Last edited:
Batman= watching the Burton 1989 batman on vhs i was around 4/5 years old

Superman = watching the first Christopher Reeves superman film on boxing day around when I was 6/7

In the ages of 4 and 5, I was introduced to Superman and Batman with the following: watching Batman: The Movie (1966) and Batman (1989) back to back on VHS, with Batman (1966) playing in between; and watching Adventures of Superman (1952) and Superman: The Movie (1978). After these, I was pumped up to watch Batman Returns (1992), Batman: The Animated Series the same year, Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman (1993), and a couple years later, Superman: The Animated Series (1996).

Should I add that I took Superman vitamins and tired to fly? ....no? Okay.
;)

I met Superman on my last days on Krypton and Batman when I was battling Vadar. Dude saved my ass that day.

I met Superman on my last days on Krypton and Batman when I was battling Vadar. Dude saved my ass that day.

You from Krypton too? What a coincidence! Did you know Steve?

What a great idea for a thread, thanks Krypton.

I first encountered Batman when I was 5 and I saw Batman in the theater. I was absolutely hooked after that. I watched the West show everyday, wore my Batman shirt on picture days (if I can find those pics I'll post, they are hilarious). I was all things Batman.

Superman was a little different. I remember watching Superman as a kid (the chick that turned into a robot in Superman III freaked me the f out), but it wasn't until my wife and I started watching Smallville that I really became a fan. I fell in love with the lore and (I know this is not everyone's favorite thing) the christian parallels. It just all worked for me, and I've been a hardcore Supes fan ever since. But I love them both.

So, needless to say, my fandom is much more rooted in film than comics, but I've since read most of the popular stories for Supes. I still have a lot of material to read for Bats.

In fact...any pre-BvS recommendations??

For Batman it was Batman: the Animated series that i watched as a kid at the age of 6, which in fact was my own introduction to the world of comic book characters and the DC world, in other words B:TAS is what made me love the DC universe in the first place.

For Superman it was coincidentally Superman: the Animated series for me, from watching Batman first seeing this show for the first time and seeing all the amazing powers and feats of strength Superman can made me awe with sheer joy as a child especially seeing a cartoon character fly for the first time in my life.

So all in all Timm & Dini's DC Animated Universe from the Animated series to the Justice League shaped my love for comic book characters as of now.

Makes me sad knowing that kids these days never experienced te joy of the DCAU instead resulting into nonsense like Teen Titans Go, lol.

I'm pretty sure these two are my answers as well actually. Batman progressed much more robustly and profoundly than Supes though.

Batman TAS + Tim Burton. Leading into Schumacher and Batman Beyond. Then Batman Begins (where I became a true fan) led to Hush/The Long Halloween/The Killing Joke/Knightfall and finally just started reading tons of classic comics for the hell of it.

Superman started and ended with TAS, some Justice League sprinkled in, then Superman Returns and didn't really care about him again until Man of Steel.

What a great idea for a thread, thanks Krypton.

I first encountered Batman when I was 5 and I saw Batman in the theater. I was absolutely hooked after that. I watched the West show everyday, wore my Batman shirt on picture days (if I can find those pics I'll post, they are hilarious). I was all things Batman.

Superman was a little different. I remember watching Superman as a kid (the chick that turned into a robot in Superman III freaked me the f out), but it wasn't until my wife and I started watching Smallville that I really became a fan. I fell in love with the lore and (I know this is not everyone's favorite thing) the christian parallels. It just all worked for me, and I've been a hardcore Supes fan ever since. But I love them both.

So, needless to say, my fandom is much more rooted in film than comics, but I've since read most of the popular stories for Supes. I still have a lot of material to read for Bats.

In fact...any pre-BvS recommendations??

For Supes? SUPERMAN FOR ALL SEASONS, art might put you off but a solid story. I am not a fan of it in total for a lot of reasons but SUPERMAN FOR TOMORROW has flashes of brilliance. The original reboot John Byrne's MAN OF STEEL and that era's run of comics. SUPERMAN TIME AND TIME AGAIN is a fun read from the Carlin era. The team up story DARK KNIGHT OVER METROPOLIS. Again, I have issues with it, big issues, but I get why folks love ALL STAR SUPERMAN. A great anecdote to THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS for all characters involved is of course KINGDOM COME. If you haven't seen the JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED episode which adapted FOR THE MAN WHO HAS EVERYTHING find it and watch it. I actually think it's a better story than the original comic version myself.

For Supes? SUPERMAN FOR ALL SEASONS, art might put you off but a solid story. I am not a fan of it in total for a lot of reasons but SUPERMAN FOR TOMORROW has flashes of brilliance. The original reboot John Byrne's MAN OF STEEL and that era's run of comics. SUPERMAN TIME AND TIME AGAIN is a fun read from the Carlin era. The team up story DARK KNIGHT OVER METROPOLIS. Again, I have issues with it, big issues, but I get why folks love ALL STAR SUPERMAN. A great anecdote to THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS for all characters involved is of course KINGDOM COME. If you haven't seen the JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED episode which adapted FOR THE MAN WHO HAS EVERYTHING find it and watch it. I actually think it's a better story than the original comic version myself.

Well, I meant Bats, but I still need to read those for Supes as well. Thank you kindly

For Batman, I was 5, and watched Batman and Robin and fell in love. I just loved the whole superhero and sidekick thing. My brother and I used construction paper to cut out our own Batarangs. Also tried to shine them in the air with a flashlight and see if they'd go up in the sky like the Bat signal.....that didn't work lol. There was also Batman Beyond but I don't remember too much. My love for him fell out ever since just until last year where I started playing Arkham Knight. Once I beat that, I was so interested in the character (along with Ben and Zack making it look so cool), so I picked up a few titles and read them.

Superman was definitely the Dean Cain series. My mom would watch and I got into it. Burger king toys, etc. It was not until Smallville that my love would grow even bigger. I remember watching Superman Returns and being pretty disappointed. The love fell out until Man of Steel's release. I thought Henry's suit looked so cool (again, Zack pulling me in lol) and went in the MoS boards and saw what titles to pick up.

Well, I meant Bats, but I still need to read those for Supes as well. Thank you kindly

Ah... I misread. Well the SECRET ORIGINS short story THE MAN WHO FALLS is like my definitive Batman training and origin story. The LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT story VENOM has great art and a story by Denny O. In fact the collected stories of DENNY O'neil and Neal Adams should be in an Batfan's collection. ARKHAM ASYLUM A SERIOUS HOUSE ON SERIOUS EARTH. Any collection of the stories of Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle are also great reads. The Elseworld GOTHAM BY GASLIGHT is great. I love the Starlin story TEN NIGHTS OF THE BEASTwhich introduced KGBeast. BATMAN YEAR ONE of course. In fact I don't care what anyone says BATMAN YEAR TWO and YEAR THREE are fine stories. There is a Detective comics Annual I cherish the hell out of, Batman goes to Japan, takes on Yakuza, written by Archie Goodwin, art by Dan Jugens and Dick Giordano but I forget the number.

I can't pinpoint on particular thing. My exposure to Batman and Superman was through my older brother, via a combination of Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, Super Friends, the Adam West and George Reeves shows, Lois & Clark (I especially loved this show), the Schumacher/Burton Batman movies, and Superman I & II.

Be it stuff we taped, rented from a video store, or caught on reruns throughout the day.

We used to watch those all the time. Especially during the summer when we had no school, and had all day to nothing but watch Batman and Superman related stuff.

Of course, we liked Marvel stuff too, but Batman and Superman were special. We were Batman and Superman junkies.

Last edited:
Smallville back in 2005 (I would have been 10) got me into Superman, around that same time I watched Batman Begins and loved both of them, as a kid Begins was a wee bit confusing for me because of all the jumps back and forth at the beginning lol.
But, it sort of died down after a few years until The Dark Knight Rises was coming out and I loved that movie and went back and fully watched The Dark Knight and BB intensely, then that first trailer for Man of Steel came out and I was intrigued, then the full trailer came out and I absolutely lost my ****. And ever since I've been getting into it all, watching TAS, all the animated movies, reading a few comics here and there and well, talking to all you!

Superman - The Fleischer cartoons on VHS when I was 2. My moms bought me that. I made her buy me a Supes costume shortly after.

Batman - A BTAS electronic picture book that had buttons on the side. You would push a button and it would make a sound that matched the pictures. I was 4 and my mom and pop had just split and my pop mailed it to me.

Been a fan of both and following various incarnations since.

Ah... I misread. Well the SECRET ORIGINS short story THE MAN WHO FALLS is like my definitive Batman training and origin story. The LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT story VENOM has great art and a story by Denny O. In fact the collected stories of DENNY O'neil and Neal Adams should be in an Batfan's collection. ARKHAM ASYLUM A SERIOUS HOUSE ON SERIOUS EARTH. Any collection of the stories of Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle are also great reads. The Elseworld GOTHAM BY GASLIGHT is great. I love the Starlin story TEN NIGHTS OF THE BEASTwhich introduced KGBeast. BATMAN YEAR ONE of course. In fact I don't care what anyone says BATMAN YEAR TWO and YEAR THREE are fine stories. There is a Detective comics Annual I cherish the hell out of, Batman goes to Japan, takes on Yakuza, written by Archie Goodwin, art by Dan Jugens and Dick Giordano but I forget the number.
You are awesome sir, I'll get started!

Iconic fictional heroes around since the 1930's Superman and Batman are mainstays of pop culture, as such, from comic books to cartoons to film and tv and now even the web, people across the decades have first encountered in myriad of ways at different times over their life. So, at what age and in what way did these two super heroes first come into your life and turn you into a fan? Share your story here.

Good question I would say first I am not a big Comic book fan over all. I love spider man and batman but after that I don't really care for other characters much. I do like some other CBM because I think they are good movies but I love spider man because I think he has the best powers, villains, costume ect and I like the cartoons and games. Batman because of his gadgest, costume, villains ect and again the cartoons and game. I am 26 and I don't remember how old I was when I found out about superman or batman. Batman I like the 90's show but I never really cared much for any of the pre batman begins movies. After the dark knight trilogy I would say the pre dark knight trilogy batman movies are just about unwatchable. So I would say the dark knight trilogy and the batman arkham games and the 90's show is really what got me into him.

When it comes to superman I have never been big into him because I think he is to powerfull. I think the old superman movies where pretty darn good for there time much better then the pre dark knight trilogy batman movies. Even though I am not really a super man fan I loved and I mean loved smallville. Now I am watching the flash and I love it as it reminds me of smallville has it has a similar tone to smallville. So like with super man and smallville I am loving the flash even though I would say I am not a big flash fan either.

I guess I'm part of the obvious on this one. Batman TAS and Superman TAS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"