BvS When And How Did You First Encounter Superman And Batman?

It's now among my most precious belongings, stored in its own Ziploc. It's the one that started it all. :D

I bet, what an awesome memory to pass along too. Kudos for hanging on to it.

Btw, if there are shh awards for best thread, Krypton wins. With all of the negativity towards each other in most of the threads, this is a much needed breath of fresh air.

Burton movies, DCAU got into Batman and Superman when I was a kid . Justice League animated series helped me realize how big the DC universe actually is and how Batman universe and Superman universe are a small part of this big universe.

Can't wait to see something like this in the DCEU:
rsxejbwsp2etag4izhcv.png

Last edited:
Thanks! I have +1200 Superman issues (mostly Post-Crisis / pre-N52) with some pretty sweet little gems like Superman v1 #233 in mint condition.
Btw, if there are shh awards for best thread, Krypton wins. With all of the negativity towards each other in most of the threads, this is a much needed breath of fresh air.
Seconded.

Okay... so how many of us did something stupid while pretending to be Superman or Batman?

I remember when I was in kindergarten, the school had these large cardboard building blocks with a brick pattern printed on them, maybe 8x12inch. They were supposed to be used to learn stacking and such... you see where this is going?:cwink:

I used to build giant walls, as big and tall as I could and then take a running leap at it to "crash thru" like George Reeves Superman ! Only problem was not being able to see the other kids lurking around on the other side of the wall before I jumped ! :woot: My x-ray vision had not developed yet...lucky that kids heal fast.

The other great thing was the cape bit...and flying.:whatever:

I used to take moms nice towels and tie them to my shirt, (great memory in MOS) and run around and jump off stuff. I worked my way up from the porch steps:drl: to the table tops:yay: to eventually the garage roof...:huh:

...that is where it went terribly wrong. The flight was good... the landing was terrible, sort of like Kal's first flight in MOS where he crashes thru a mountain only my mountain was some metal garbage cans...

I found that landing on them and crushing them does slow the fall a bit so good lessen there. No broken bones but some scrapes. I could have used some pants of steel when Mom found me. :oldrazz: I kept telling her that she couldn't spank Superman... she said she wasn't. :sly:

My father was a huge comic buff(especially Bats) so at an early age, probably 3ish I was just enamoured with Superheroes(bats specifically). My father was an artist as well and used to draw these huge pictures of Batman and color them then cut them out and put them on my walls, so I was surrounded by the character. I also watched Batman 89 on repeat so much that I broke the tape(didn't help that I kept fast forwarding to batman parts ;)

Then I started watching The Animated Seires of which I still hold to be the best interpretation of the character in any media(aside from comics) today. Then the dark ages came and I was enthralled with the Shumacher films but still preferred watching B89 most of the time so my taste wasn't completely skewered. Though I was petrified of Batman Returns I dug that too. Anyhow, that's my introduction to that character and then spawned a life long love for pretty much anything Bats.

Supes was a little different, I didn't even know the character existed until Superman the animated series as sad as that is. However I fell in love with Supes and started reading anything and everything I could find on both characters and the rest is history.

Thanks kindly Woody.

But don't thank me... (Slowly rises into the air) We're all on the same team. Good night. ( Williams theme starts blaring in background as KRYPTON INC. flies off, then winks at the camera.)

i think i have some corn stuck in my teeth after reading that...:cwink:

Okay... so how many of us did something stupid while pretending to be Superman or Batman?

I remember when I was in kindergarten, the school had these large cardboard building blocks with a brick pattern printed on them, maybe 8x12inch. They were supposed to be used to learn stacking and such... you see where this is going?:cwink:

I used to build giant walls, as big and tall as I could and then take a running leap at it to "crash thru" like George Reeves Superman ! Only problem was not being able to see the other kids lurking around on the other side of the wall before I jumped ! :woot: My x-ray vision had not developed yet...lucky that kids heal fast.

The other great thing was the cape bit...and flying.:whatever:

I used to take moms nice towels and tie them to my shirt, (great memory in MOS) and run around and jump off stuff. I worked my way up from the porch steps:drl: to the table tops:yay: to eventually the garage roof...:huh:

...that is where it went terribly wrong. The flight was good... the landing was terrible, sort of like Kal's first flight in MOS where he crashes thru a mountain only my mountain was some metal garbage cans...

I found that landing on them and crushing them does slow the fall a bit so good lessen there. No broken bones but some scrapes. I could have used some pants of steel when Mom found me. :oldrazz: I kept telling her that she couldn't spank Superman... she said she wasn't. :sly:

For me, I was the dude in the audience Snyder reached out to with Clark wearing his cape in the back yard pretending to be heroic. Great scene. That was me; running around the neighborhood with a towel around my neck in my underwear. True story haha.

Thanks kindly Woody.

But don't thank me... (Slowly rises into the air) We're all on the same team. Good night. ( Williams theme starts blaring in background as KRYPTON INC. flies off, then winks at the camera.)

Lol Nice!

Three years old. Superman outfit. Climbed to the top of a 6 or 7 foot slide. Jumped.

There's photo evidence. :hehe:

My love for Batman goes beyond my memory. I know it started with watching reruns of the Adam West series, and then trickling into the Animated Series of the early 90's. I was hooked. Kinda liked Superman, but was enthralled with Batman. He was just a man, in an awesome outfit, using awesome gadgets, working himself to death to make sure no one else had to experience the pain he suffered when his parents were killed. A selfless man with purpose. Even the 6-year-old version of me knew there was something profound about this character.

I remember in the early 90's, after the success of the Burton Batman films, they developed at Batman-themed stunt show at Six Flags Over Georgia in Atlanta. My parents took me there, and of course we had to go to the stunt show. Batman was MY hero. We sat near the top of the stadium seating, and I was glued in. Can't remember the plot of the show, but Joker was doing something dastardly, there was a damsel in distress, and all I could think about was "When is Batman going to show up and save the day?".

About that time, my dad started nudging me. When it didn't snap me out of my daze, he increased the nudging until I finally looked up at him. What was it? Why would he interrupt this incredible heroic story I was trying to watch? But my dad, sitting on my right, was pointing back across my way to the left. So, naturally, I turned and looked.

There was something that looked like a poll booth. It had a steel cable running from it down into the arena where the show was taking place. But there he was. Standing there, outside the booth, as if he had been waiting on my dad to get my attention, waiting for me to look his way, there was The Batman. He was wearing the all black armor of the Batsuit, bright yellow oval, golden utility belt, dark cape, and that demonic cowl. He looked intimidating and frightening. I was intimidated. I was frightened. But I knew that he was the hero.

He was about to step into the booth. But before he did, he looked me right in the eye. And I stared in disbelief as he gave me a thumbs up. I couldn't comprehend what was going on. Batman had acknowledged my existence. Batman saw me. And it felt like it took about an hour for me to feebly raise my hand and return the gesture. But I did. I had communicated with Batman. I knew that we would be forever connected from that moment on.

He turned away, stepped into the booth, grabbed a handle connected to the steel cable, glided down onto the stage, and dispensed justice upon the Joker. The lady in danger was rescued.

And I would never be the same.

Batman 1989 / Superman: The Movie.

Batman 89 was probably my first real exposure to Batman and superheroes in general when I was younger, at least in terms of what I remember and was able to grasp back then. It's the film that led me to become obsessed with Batman, and film in general. There was a period of time where I watched it every day.

My dad got me into Batman when i was 3 or 4. Through BTAS, Batman 66 and the 90s movies. Batman and Robin was my favorite movie because it had the most Robin screentime

I can't pin point it but there were alot of picutres of me at like age 3/4/5 in superman PJ (I have one awesome picture in my superman PJ while on top of battle cat and my he-man power sword held in the air) I know I had the fleischer cartoons on VHS, I was 5 and can remember going to see batman 89 with my dad. I am sure I saw the superman and superman 2 on tv alot as a kid.

My dad got me into Batman when i was 3 or 4. Through BTAS, Batman 66 and the 90s movies.Batman and Robin was my favorite movie because it had the most Robin screentime

Really? Is Robin your favourite character then?

You know it's funny cause when I was at a certain age Superman IV was my favourite Superman movie. think it was because Superman fought a Supervillain toe to toe. I used to pray it ws Superman IV on TV but most of the time it was STM of SIII. Funnily enough here in the UK SII wasn't on as much as STM and SIII.

You don't know the quality of something when you're a kid, you just know it has this character in and feature this and that. That's all you need to enjoy it.

Really? Is Robin your favourite character then?

You know it's funny cause when I was at a certain age Superman IV was my favourite Superman movie. think it was because Superman fought a Supervillain toe to toe. I used to pray it ws Superman IV on TV but most of the time it was STM of SIII. Funnily enough here in the UK SII wasn't on as much as STM and SIII.

You don't know the quality of something when you're a kid, you just know it has this character in and feature this and that. That's all you need to enjoy it.

At this point I probably like Batman and Robin equally, they're both my favorites

And that's funny about SIV, i can totally relate. B&R was my favorite movie of my childhood, i can never hate it.

At this point I probably like Batman and Robin equally, they're both my favorites

And that's funny about SIV, i can totally relate. B&R was my favorite movie of my childhood, i can never hate it.

Haha I can't hate SIV either, nostalgia eh? :woot:

Haha I can't hate SIV either, nostalgia eh? :woot:

It depends how old one was, when it came out, having been brought up as a small child to have been lucky to have seen Superman (1978) and Superman II at the cinema, I was 12 when IV came out so old enough to know it was terrible.

Plus, take the Clark Kent v Superman junkyard fight out of III and that's pretty bad as well, although the Clark / Lana scenes are good as well.

Same. I was twelve when Supe IV came out and it was so below the standards of the other entries, even III. There is a documentary about CANNON FILMS that came out in 2014, that details how Supe IV came about. It's a great doc for anyone that saw any of the product CANNON put out.

Batman '89 was my first exposure to Batman. I remember annoying all my friends by obsessively talking about the Joker and how great he was.

Superman, I honestly don't remember. I suppose pop culture in general introduced me to him, because he's so iconic.

It will never happen, but would be interesting to see the full length edit of Superman IV in it's entirity, I have the blu-ray boxset of all the films and even the 'deleted' scenes don't give a true flavour of the assembled edit of what the final version would have been. In it's defence, I challenge ANY film to survive having 30% of it's post production budget slashed and 40% of it's filming budget slashed whilst on set and still have a discernable film at the end of it, particuarly one that was so relient on SFX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"