Where does Agents of SHIELD s01 rank?

pr0xyt0xin

Shaper Savant
Reaction score
Agents of SHIELD has mixed reviews, but where would you rank the first season amongst the MCU films?

For me its right at the bottom. But is it different for you?

1. The Avengers
2. The Incredible Hulk
3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
4. Iron Man
5. Thor: The Dark World
6. Captain America: The First Avenger
7. Iron Man 3
8. Iron Man 2
9. Thor
10. Agents of SHIELD Season 1

Unfortunate, but I guess I didn't expect much more.

I can pretty much compare whatever I want

While my order of movies is different from yours, I'd also put it at the bottom. In its entirety, Season 1 was an anticlimactic, aimless, and inconsequential adventure through and through. Doesn't hold a candle to even the weakest of the MCU movies (Thor 2 for me).

Sure, it got better after TWS, but not by much, and that's also not saying much. The fact that it took a major release for the show to get even remotely intriguing worries me though. Will that be the trend moving forward? Are we to wait for the inevitable summer blockbuster before the plot kicks into gear ever season, or what? Kinda makes you feel cheated for putting up with everything else in the first place. In all fairness, some of the movies have succumbed to this as well, but the show made it a far bigger issue than it ever was before.

1. The Avengers
2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
3. Iron Man
4. Thor
5. Thor: The Dark World
6. Iron Man 3
7. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D season 1
8. Captain America: The First Avenger
9. The Incredible Hulk
10. Iron Man 2

The Amazing
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
The Avengers

The Great
Thor: The Dark World
Iron Man 3
Iron Man

The Good
Captain America: The First Avenger
Thor
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 01

What is Left
Iron Man 2
The Incredible Hulk

I really enjoyed AoS, but I think I enjoyed it so much because I enjoy the MCU movies so much. It definitely improved over the course of the second half of the season, but I thoroughly enjoyed all of it, even the first half that people like to complain about.

The second half of Season 1 was amazing. The way they expanded on the universe and tied into TWS was brilliant. Characters like Lady Sif and Maria Hill got more development than they did in any of the movies. The tie-in to TWS expanded on all the film's themes and felt like a tie-in comic to a big event in a way nothing else did. Overall Coulson became one of my favorite characters in the MCU, superhero or not. I'd probably rank it above everything but IM1, Avengers and TWS.

However, the first half was very poorly done. I would rank it below all the movies, tbh.

The way I see the show, first half is very "meh" and boring with no substance, then they come back from break and things start picking up, then they get to the TWS tie-ins and things just explode.

The second half of Season 1 was amazing. The way they expanded on the universe and tied into TWS was brilliant. Characters like Lady Sif and Maria Hill got more development than they did in any of the movies. The tie-in to TWS expanded on all the film's themes and felt like a tie-in comic to a big event in a way nothing else did. Overall Coulson became one of my favorite characters in the MCU, superhero or not. I'd probably rank it above everything but IM1, Avengers and TWS.

However, the first half was very poorly done. I would rank it below all the movies, tbh.

The way I see the show, first half is very "meh" and boring with no substance, then they come back from break and things start picking up, then they get to the TWS tie-ins and things just explode.

I couldn't have said it any better, and it saves me from having to type much. First half was very disappointing. I even fell asleep during the first episode.

However, the first half was very poorly done.

The way I see the show, first half is very "meh" and boring with no substance.
I disagree, I enjoyed Agents of SHIELD the whole way through. I guess I watched the show a bit differently than a lot of other people. I suspected that the first half and second half would be different from the get go.

I got exactly what I wanted from the first half of the season. A show where a bunch of agents of different skillsets go around the MCU on cool missions, subtly developing the characters in ways we wouldn't even pick up on until later on. It was all about world building and setting up future events.

I don't understand how people thought the first half was boring. It was very fun. It expanded the universe in a way that the second half (as much as I loved it) simply couldn't do. Centipede serum, 0-8-4, Gravitonium, cybernetic eyes, the Berserker staff, the Chitauri virus. So many cool and fun things to discover.

I also don't understand how someone could think it lacked substance. The first half was pretty simple, yes, but there was meaning behind almost everything that happened, which is something I noticed a lot more when I re-watched the show after it finished. Also, the simplicity made the second half that much more impactful. The two halves work together very well in tandem. The first half met my expectations, the second half exceeded them.

Last edited:
Agents of SHIELD has mixed reviews, but where would you rank the first season amongst the MCU films?

Obviously, last place. Watching the first season weekly for September to May was such a chore. I only enjoyed like 2 episodes, the Hydra episode and the episode before that. The rest are meh and weak.

Characters like Lady Sif and Maria Hill got more development than they did in any of the movies.

I hated those episodes, they made them bland in my opinion. And the episode where they featured Sif was such a letdown, very anticlimatic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"