BvS Where does BvS fall in your most anticipated list of films for 2016?

rogbngp

Snyderverse supporter
Reaction score
Edit: Even if there is a SHH community-wide 'most anticipated films of 2016' list thread, this gives us all a read on most anticipated films for regular posters in the BvS forum.

The Collider video about their staff's composite top 20 most anticipated films of 2016 got me thinking about where folks here at SHH place BvS. On this board I'm sure BvS will be very high, if not almost universally number one. But I'm curious also what other films those eager who are to see BvS are also expecting to enjoy, and where they rate their desire to see them.

[YT]xPqI0F1QOUI[/YT]

You can list as many films as you like, and it doesn't have to be just CBMs.

Here's my list:

1) Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - I've never been more stoked to see a film in my entire life. Zack Snyder is truly a visionary and a master filmmaker of his time (300, Watchmen, and MoS are all masterworks to me). I'm loving everything I'm seeing about this film from the trailers and interviews. BvS's first full length trailer is the best one I can ever recall seeing (not that I have paid attention to trailers much at all prior to the last 2 years or so).
2) Captain America: Civil War - I can't wait to see how this story is brought to life by the Russo Brothers*
3) X-Men: Apocalypse - see comments below**
4) Star Trek: Beyond - love the Abrams' reboots (I can forgive their flaws), and its great with me that Beyond seems to focus heavily on adventure and character chemistry--b/c that's exactly what I've always loved most about the TOS TV series to begin with (I really could care less if it makes social commentary)
5) Dr. Strange - this thing should be a wild trip--and what a cast!
6) Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - I'm way more of a Star Trek fan than Star Wars fan, but TFA was pretty damn awesome, so I expect this film to keep all that great momentum going
7) Independence Day 2: despite Will Smith not returning I have high hopes that this should be great fun
8) Suicide Squad - maybe it's because I don't know these characters (except for the Joker), but I haven't felt any connection at all to this yet--I hope that I'll be blown away and love it, b/c I do want to be entertained
9) Deadpool - same thing as above for SS--I don't know the character, and nothing I've seen in the trailers has gotten me psyched to see it; again, here too hoping that it will blow me away, though
10) Tarzan (reboot) - the Christopher Lambert version was strangely intriguing and if this film runs with that basic approach successfully it has potential to be good in an offbeat way
11) Prometheus 2 - I have a lot of criticisms of Prometheus but it was a feast visually, and I really liked Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender in it, so I want to see the Alien series prequel story continue. Also Ridley Scott just knocked one out of the park with The Martian (and The Martian uses an excellent science-based approach whereas Prometheus fails spectacularly in the science realism aspect).
12) Gambit - I don't know the character, but its a CBM that many fans seem very excited to see, so I'm hoping I'll like it as much as everyone seems to be looking forward to it

* I'm eager to see Civil War, and expect it to be great. But the one trailer we have thus far didn't really give me any goosebumps. That said, though, it looks like it may be a surprisingly personal story about relationships within the Avengers versus a grand, epic spectacular, and I'm looking forward to that.

** I think the Apocalypse trailer is fantastic! Oscar Isaac sounds (literally, judging from his voice narration) like he will be incredible as the titular character. I love the younger X-Men reboot cast, and James McAvoy in particular looks like he will continue his excellent work as Charles. I'm not familiar with the story, but I'm definitely going to purchase the comic book series about it.

Last edited:
Already a thread on 'Your Most Anticipated Movies of 2016' bro.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=507495

Blast. Lol, nevermind then. Thanks :woot:

What I was thinking for the slant here, with this board being geared toward BvS fans, is where does BvS fall among this glorious smorgasbord of fantasy adventure films that are coming in 2016. I.e., because there are so many other exciting films scheduled. In other words, if you're looking at this subforum you're presumably a BvS fan. So (presumably) as an ardent BvS fan: what other films are you looking forward to as well? And who knows, maybe some that regularly post about BvS are looking forward to other films a little but more...

But sure enough that can be seen on the other list thread. I should have thought it through more a little more and discarded the idea. It is kind of redundant. Oh well. But feel free to share here too if you feel motivated to address BvS's position for you among all these great looking films.

Last edited:
To salvage this thread if possible, maybe simply post any thoughts about BvS in relation to other anticipated films.

I realized after thinking a little more about this that one reason that BvS is so important to me among the stellar 2016 schedule is I've never really been happy about any of the DC superhero movies in terms of living up to full potential. I know that sounds like lunacy to many fans, especially given how popular the Nolan trilogy and Donner Superman films are (well at least S:TM). But I have loved what Marvel has done with the MCU even though I'm more of a DC fan since childhood.

Here's my top 10 most favorite CBMs for example:

1. Guardians of the Galaxy
2. The Avengers
3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
4. Captain America: The First Avenger
5. Iron Man
6. Man of Steel
7. X-Men: First Class
8. Hellboy
9. The Dark Knight Rises
10. Thor

And I have my own idiosyncratic reasons for TDKR in that spot versus TDK or BB.

Anyway, all this makes me somewhat ambivalent I guess, even though I consider myself a fan of both DC and Marvel overall.

MoS gave me a Superman I can finally really appreciate for his depth and complexity. The Nolan films did not give me that for Batman (I know I'm in a small minority there). I'm really looking forward to a more complex and sophisticated version of Batman along with the Superman I've grown to appreciate.

Last edited:
You're asking this question on this board? :funny:

BvS is the clear winner by light-years for me. :oldrazz:

You're asking this question on this board? :funny:

BvS is the clear winner by light-years for me. :oldrazz:

I know, in hindsight it's a pretty ridiculous question to pose, lol. :O Even amongst an embarrassment of riches with all these great films coming out next year, who that regularly posts on this board would not rate it at number one!

Last edited:
I honestly think that Batman v Superman is the biggest DC event since Batman89 (But I wasn't born then, so don't qoute me on it)

I honestly think that Batman v Superman is the biggest DC event since Batman89 (But I wasn't born then, so don't qoute me on it)

I was around then and yes, that film was a milestone CBM. I would say, though, that the release of TDK following Ledger's death was probably a bigger cultural event for a DC film. By then it was clear that CBMs could deliver entertainment for adults. Ledger's portrayal of the Joker is I think the only CBM performance to win an Oscar... (if I'm wrong someone please correct me). By around the time of Blade and X-Men we saw that the modern CBM had arrived. And the expectation that CBMs could be sophisticated and extremely well made was firmly cemented by TDK, I think.

Last edited:
BvS will probably be the most marketed DC film since 89. There will be a blitz. First movie featuring the comic book genres biggest icons. First comic book movie featuring hero vs superhero. It will be big.

Until then and the box office numbers we eventually see ... B89 was DC's most anticipated, then TDK (before Ledger's death too), and then TDK Rises. IMO all of them delivered in terms of quality, in TDK's case, it exceeded expectations. Critically and financially.

My 2016 list?

1) BvS
2) TMNT Out of the Shadows

Batman my favorite character ever, Turtles my second, and Superman my third. The 4 to 10 year old in me's head will explode. That's my childhood right there. Only thing missing would be Ghostbusters, Robocop, and Top Gun.

3) ID4 Resurgence
4) Suicide Squad
5) Deadpool
6) Civil War
7) Prometheus 2

Right now off the top of my head the list would be:

1) Batman v Superman
2) Suicide Squad
3) The Witch
4) Rogue One

I can't think of any others that have me totally amped up. The other 2016 films that are immediately jumping into my head (mostly tentpoles like the MCU films, Tarzan, X-Men Apocalypse, Deadpool, Fantastic Beasts, etc.) don't interest me in the least. Or at least not to the point that I will pay to see them in a theater.

At the very top, nothing even comes close

1) BvS - it's Batman and Superman on screen together
2) Suicide Squad - probably the most interesting of the bunch in some ways given its an unusual take
3) Deadpool - this character deserves a good movie and what I've seen so far I like.
4) Civil War - looks great but I think I'm getting to a point with these characters where it's all starting to feel abit samey.
5) X-Men Apocalypse - looks amazing but I worry about Bryan Singer, he tends to make overly long films although he did nail DOFP.

I am looking forward to all the above and I will say right now I'm intrigued regarding Rogue One but knowing nothing about it right now I can't say I am excited.

I have no interest in Dr Strange right now but I felt that way about Thor and I ended up loving that.

Star Trek Beyond I need to see more of before I make a decision but I do love the previous two so I'm sure I'll wanna see it however I'm not fussed about going to see it.

Independent Day 2 I just don't see the point of, zero interest.

Actually, this thread isn't as poorly considered as I first worried it might be. It gives us all a read on most anticipated films for regular posters in the BvS forum. To be honest I'm more interested in that than the community-wide one because I'm beginning to have a sense of who people are here, and it genuinely interests me what other films folks here are looking forward to in the coming year. I don't post much in the other forums,* so the relevance of their picks just isn't as strong for me.

* I've posted a little bit in Wonder Woman and SW:TFA, but that's about it.

I don't think it'll be the best movie or the movie I enjoy the most, actually I'm expecting this to dissapoint, but I'm too much of a DC fan not to have this at the top of what I'm excited about. If I could only watch one movie.in 2016, it would be this. ...Batfleck, WW, Eisenlex, Supes, Vic Stone, Aquaman? Yes please.

Anyways, my order:
-BvS
-Rogue One
-Suicide Squad
-Star Trek Beyond (looks so fun)
-Doctor Strange
-Apocalypse (Isaac looks and sounds awesome)
-Fantastic Beasts
-Civil War (franchise fatigue set in for me)
-Deadpool (just not finding it to be very funny so far)
-Gambit

Last edited:
At the very top, nothing even comes close

1) BvS - it's Batman and Superman on screen together
2) Suicide Squad - probably the most interesting of the bunch in some ways given its an unusual take
3) Deadpool - this character deserves a good movie and what I've seen so far I like.
4) Civil War - looks great but I think I'm getting to a point with these characters where it's all starting to feel abit samey.
5) X-Men Apocalypse - looks amazing but I worry about Bryan Singer, he tends to make overly long films although he did nail DOFP.

I am looking forward to all the above and I will say right now I'm intrigued regarding Rogue One but knowing nothing about it right now I can't say I am excited.

I have no interest in Dr Strange right now but I felt that way about Thor and I ended up loving that.

Star Trek Beyond I need to see more of before I make a decision but I do love the previous two so I'm sure I'll wanna see it however I'm not fussed about going to see it.

Independent Day 2 I just don't see the point of, zero interest.

As far as tentpole flicks, this is exactly how I feel!

I would put Rogue One and Suicide Squad above Batman v Superman on a most anticipated list.

It's my number 1 since it was announced. I'm not even thinking about the other movies being released next year.

1. Batman v Superman
2. Suicide Squad
3. Deadpool
4. X-Men : Apocalypse
5. Assassin's Creed
6. Independence Day : Resurgence

1) BvS
2) Suicide Squad
3) Fantastic Beasts
4) Doc Strange
5) Civil War (might not even bother to see it in theatres though)

1. Civil War (I have been loving this world since 2008, and the characters are almost like family to me. )
2. Rogue One (TFA reinvigorated my love of Star Wars)
3. BvS (I liked MoS, but didn't absolutely love it, and I'm also concerned about the portrayal of Lex Luthor. But come on, its Batman and Superman in the same movie. That alone gets me incredibly excited.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"