The Avengers Where the hell was War Machine? [Spoilers]

War Machine wasn't there simply because the movie wasn't about Iron Man.

And compare to Loki, Selveig and Pepper, he has nothing to do with the movie.

Answer: Who cares.

He's not needed in this movie or any other upcoming movie.

Agreed 100%. He's a redundant character even in the comics.

Not surprisingly, I disagree with you two again. 100%. :oldrazz:

If you remember the end of IM2, the war machine suit still belongs to Stark. He asked for it back, and Rhodey said basically "not yet", but I personally assumed he would return it and that would of taken place it in the years between IM2 and TA.

The exact exchange was:

As Rhodey left in the WM armor, Stark told him: "No. Not okay."
Rhodey replied: "Wasn't a question." And left.

I.E.: Rhodey is still very much in full possession of WM at the end of IM2.

Look, there's a lot of great speculation about why Rhodey didn't make the cut --- some of it fictional, some of it real-life (revolving around Cheadle's schedule) --- but the point is, Rhodey *at least* deserved a mention, with one of those pretty good excuses listed above tacked on. Even Pepper, Jane Foster and Peggy Carter get mentions, but Stark's best buddy and a certified superhero didn't....?

Sorry. That's not even remotely something to "mark down" Avengers for, and I sure as hell ain't doing it; but people are deluding themselves if they think War Machine isn't important enough to both fans and GA in the MCU to warrant some kind of mention.

I'd say no mention of War Machine is not that big of a deal. Him and IM are not attached at the hip so really no need to always have them together. I bet most viewers won't even notice him not being in the movie or being mentioned.

Not that i really care either way, but maybe there was a line for WM in the 3 hour cut.

I personally would have liked a mention at least. I think it would have been great if Stark said something like "Well, thanks to Hammer Industries, Rhodey's suit malfunctioned and has to be overhauled." Or maybe when the National Guard came, they could have said something like Rhodey was successful in persuading the higher ups to send immediate help.

Steelsheen: Possibly, but I really doubt Tony would have hid it from Rhodes. Also, in the Incredible Hulk, Tony approaches General Ross about The Avengers Initiative so clearly the army must already know about SHIELD.

good point, but iirc Tony approached Ross at a bar (?) which is kinda unofficial visit. in any case he went straight to Ross, not ask for an official meeting with a panel of top brass.

its possible that Rhodey knows about it but Tony told him to keep away for a while. i sure as hell would tell my best friend to keep his head down if i was going to venture into something with people i'm not sure to trust yet.

and for all we know, War Machine could feature in Avengers2, like Jane Foster and all the other main characters not featured in the first movie. it really depends on how Whedon will craft the next story. he did say it should be more personal and more painful. so how much more personal and painful than a story that features a team member's best friend or love interest?

Not surprisingly, I disagree with you two again. 100%. :oldrazz:

The exact exchange was:

As Rhodey left in the WM armor, Stark told him: "No. Not okay."
Rhodey replied: "Wasn't a question." And left.

I.E.: Rhodey is still very much in full possession of WM at the end of IM2.

Look, there's a lot of great speculation about why Rhodey didn't make the cut --- some of it fictional, some of it real-life (revolving around Cheadle's schedule) --- but the point is, Rhodey *at least* deserved a mention, with one of those pretty good excuses listed above tacked on. Even Pepper, Jane Foster and Peggy Carter get mentions, but Stark's best buddy and a certified superhero didn't....?

Sorry. That's not even remotely something to "mark down" Avengers for, and I sure as hell ain't doing it; but people are deluding themselves if they think War Machine isn't important enough to both fans and GA in the MCU to warrant some kind of mention.

If you quote the full exchange between them, it's what I paraphrased. Again, in my opinion, Rhodey was going to give the armor back, just not at that time. Why would Rhodey, as one of Tony's best friends, keep the suit knowing Tony wanted it back? I don't think he would, especially over the years between these two films.

If you quote the full exchange between them, it's what I paraphrased. Again, in my opinion, Rhodey was going to give the armor back, just not at that time. Why would Rhodey, as one of Tony's best friends, keep the suit knowing Tony wanted it back? I don't think he would, especially over the years between these two films.

Well I took it as Tony didn't actually really want the suit back but rather wanted to be a dick because Rhodey took it without asking in the first place.

Well I took it as Tony didn't actually really want the suit back but rather wanted to be a dick because Rhodey took it without asking in the first place.

That's not the impression I got from Tony's reactions on the roof top, and Pepper's phone calls, etc.. all in attempts to get the suit back. Also, the issue of having someone else with one of his arc reactors which Tony is very adamant about not letting get out so it couldn't be copied through out both movies.

That's not the impression I got from Tony's reactions on the roof top, and Pepper's phone calls, etc.. all in attempts to get the suit back. Also, the issue of having someone else with one of his arc reactors which Tony is very adamant about not letting get out so it couldn't be copied through out both movies.

Wait what?? Maybe I need to watch this again but I remember the exchange like this:

Rhodes -"If its ok with you I think I'm going to hang on to this a bit longer"
Stark - "Actually no its not ok"
Rhodes- "Wasn't a question"

and then zooms off

Now I didn't take Tony's no seriously and I thought that was why Rhodes disregarded it too.

But hey different interpretations huh.

I love War Machine but let him remain in the IM films. Don't get me wrong it would've been nice if he was in the film and had some action but him and IM are to similar and I would've liked if they were to add another Avenger for it to me someone like Scarlett Witch, Quasar, Captain Marvel(male or female version), or The Pym's.

Wait what?? Maybe I need to watch this again but I remember the exchange like this:

Rhodes -"If its ok with you I think I'm going to hang on to this a bit longer"
Stark - "Actually no its not ok"
Rhodes- "Wasn't a question"

and then zooms off

Now I didn't take Tony's no seriously and I thought that was why Rhodes disregarded it too.

But hey different interpretations huh.

Yep.

I think Tony was absolutely serious, and the scene where Tony leaves his house when's under shield surveillance and goes to talk with Pepper with the strawberries, her phone call that he walks in on is a long call about getting the Mark II back. A constant theme for both movies is the IM and the Arc reactor are Tony's, and he's not giving them up to anyone, not the government, not even to his own designers, because he trusts absolutely no one with his designs anymore. I think that is why he would want War Machine back, to protect the arc reactor tech.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"