Iron Man 2 In the public's eye, is War Machine called Iron Man 2 or WM?

Dark Raven

It's not about what you deserve...
Reaction score
In the movie, only Stark refers to Rhodey indirectly as War Machine, and that wasn't even in an official capacity. It was during the fight sequence when a drunken Stark was goading him and saying "so you wanna be a war machine?" or something like that. It was never his official name or the one given to Rhodey by the press like Iron Man.

The movie missed a great opportunity to present Rhodes as War Machine, when he first appeared in the armor at the expo before the drones went haywire. Hammer could've said something like "ladies and gentlemen, I give you the War Machine."

So my question is: do the public refer to Rhodey as War Machine or do they simply see him as another Iron Man (maybe Iron Man 2)? Will Rhodey even use that name or will it be like the Black Widow where it was never referenced, but only the audience are in the know?

The public mainly refers to him as War Machine, even the people that didn't read the comic from my experience refer to him as War Machine. The only name for the suit that is mentioned is "Variable Threat Response Battle Suit", the first name the suit was given in the comics. But in theaters i hear most people refering to him as WM, even some of my friends who never read the comics.

Though i would've liked as you said Hammer actually introducing him as War Machine, nodding to his rivalry with Iron Man. Plus it sounds more badass:hehe: I'm sure he'll get named officially in The Avengers though.(If he appears)

Last edited:
I'm not talking about the public in real life. I'm not interested in that. I'm talking about the public in Iron Man 2 - eg the audience at the expo. They haven't read any comic because in that movie's reality, there is no Iron Man comic. So what do they call Rhodey and his suit, since the press (eg Christine Everhart) never dubbed him War Machine (like they did with Iron Man at the end of the first movie), and Tony only used it in jest during the fight?

I'm not talking about the public in real life. I'm not interested in that. I'm talking about the public in Iron Man 2 - eg the audience at the expo. They haven't read any comic because in that movie's reality, there is no Iron Man comic. So what do they call Rhodey and his suit, since the press (eg Christine Everhart) never dubbed him War Machine (like they did with Iron Man at the end of the first movie), and Tony only used it in jest during the fight?
Ooo, sorry misread it:doh:

Don't think anyone would know his real name, Tony is the only one to have ever refered to it. I guess later on Tony and Rhodey would clear it up to the public.

Ooo, sorry misread it:doh:

Don't think anyone would know his real name, Tony is the only one to have ever refered to it. I guess later on Tony and Rhodey would clear it up to the public.

But did Tony even really refer to him as War Machine? He said that while half drunk and in jest, not formally christening him with that name. Does he even remember what he said to Rhodey during that fight? I doubt he will say "Hey Rhodey, remember how I taunted you while I was drunk and we were brawling about how you think you're some kind of War Machine? Well I think that would be a good name for you to call yourself."

I think they missed a golden opportunity to give him the name at the expo when Hammer revealed him. It would've been the same as Stark saying "ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Jericho" in the first movie.

I'm pretty sure Rhodey will stick with the War Machine & the press/public will catch onto it.

Well...I just hope that this question to be ansewered on the next movies (Avengers and Iron Man 3)

maybe this will be like how they set up the mmu, giving some characters subtle hints to their actual names?

for example, in TIH : "....that could be an abomination..."
Iron man "we are IRON MONGERS tony."

I don't think the public called him anything, other then... "oh **** there's two of them and there fighting lets get the **** out of here..."

but, I get what your saying... in the first movie it was the public (or the media, anyway) that dubed him iron man...

Last edited:
Speaking for myself, I don't personally know everybody that saw IM2. So it's hard for me to judge.

Speaking for myself, I don't personally know everybody that saw IM2. So it's hard for me to judge.

Clearly you haven't read the original post correctly, so it would be hard for you to judge. Who cares how many people have seen IM2? That's not the point.

...The movie missed a great opportunity to present Rhodes as War Machine, when he first appeared in the armor at the expo before the drones went haywire. Hammer could've said something like "ladies and gentlemen, I give you the War Machine.

...So my question is: do the public refer to Rhodey as War Machine or do they simply see him as another Iron Man...
"Iron Man" is a superhero's name. The VTRB was just a vehicle to be used by the military. Rhodes hadn't officially undertaken any kind of heroics at that point; he was a part of the military ready to do his job. Whenever he starts doing independent heroics, then I'm sure the press will take notice, and some reporter will give him a nickname, just like what happened to Tony in the original film.

as a side note:
I hated that "you wanna be the War Machine" line. The placement of it, given the context of the situation made it seemed so tacked on and out of place. They should have found a better way to use it, or left it out of the dialog entirely.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"