Where was the Symbiote Black Suit from the Comics?

Aximlli

Civilian
Reaction score
Maybe this was asked before, but I didn't find a thread for it. Was it ever explained as to why the original symbiote black suit costume from the comics wasn't used in this movie?

My guess is that it wouldn't logically make sense for the symbiote to create an entirely new look or logo out of Peter's costume, which is why it just painted the regular one black and white instead.

Still, the original symbiote costume is my favorite spidey costume after the original red & blue, and it was a bit disappointing to see that they didn't use it in the film :(

spidermanbackinblack1kkse3.jpg

Actually, it was considered. In a "making of Spider-Man 3" book by Grant Curtis, there's a couple of pics of Tobey in an exact lookalike of the comic version of the symbiote suit. I believe that the primary reason they abandoned it was that they had to keep splashing it with water to give it a membraneous-sheen so that it looked trully alien. Also, it really looked like a shiny black condom.

Would have been cool to see, but I don't think it mattered in the long run.

I only wish it had truly brought out Pete's dark side, as opposed to his idiot one.

It did bring out his dark side. I just posted this elsewhere, but I'll copy-paste it here too.

I think many people overlook this.

Many seem to think that the symbiote is supposed to bring out a horrifying, mass-murdering psychopathic demon in him. It's not. It's like being drunk, or high.

That's what Peter's attitude is about, a combination of "don't care" and "I'm powerful enough to handle anything" attitude. He's not going to kill Ditkovich, or Jonah, but he's not going to take any s**t from them either.

That's what the infamous strut is about too, besides tension relief. It's "I'm enjoying myself and the world can go **** itself".

Of course, when provoked enough, it does push him to the limits, removing any moral restraints. So in Sandman's or Harry's case, he's more than willing to kill them. But he's not running around trying to hurt, kill and maim people.

I think many here are ignoring the drug addict parallelism. For some reason, they were expecting a frantically violent, murderous Spider-man. In truth, he's an amoral, selfish Spider-man. The symbiote brings out the worse aspects of Peter's personality. Deep down, Peter doesn't want to hurt people, he wants to use his powers to help himself and put any creep opposing him in his place. And if that means killing him, so be it, he's not going to cry over it.

This one right?

DSC00094.jpg
That's pretty awesome! I've never actually seen that before. I didn't know about the water thing, but I'm glad to see that they did at least try to put it in the movie. Guess I'll have to pick up that book some time.

Are there any other pictures online?

It did bring out his dark side. I just posted this elsewhere, but I'll copy-paste it here too.

Your argument is similar to one that I've raised. What we have here is a nerd who has suddenly been empowered, & now has a voice whispering in his ear that he's a bad@$$. But at his heart he's still a nerd. That's just who he is. So this is the dark side of a geek with power, who's got the added ego trip of having won the public's favor AND having two (subjectively) hot girls fighting over him. I saw nothing wrong with the way he acted. I would've had a problem w/him acting like the Punisher, Wolverine or even Batman. That's not in him. The symbiote enhances your dark side; it doesn't change you into something you're not.

sigh...that looks so much better than the movie suit they used.
i wished they had ATLEAST kept the symbol.

but i agree about the way the suit affected him. it was reasonable to have him keep using it. reviving the mj smackdown from the 90's wasnt a good idea though. and the movie was a bit crowded in my opinion.

Chris Wallace said:
Your argument is similar to one that I've raised. What we have here is a nerd who has suddenly been empowered, & now has a voice whispering in his ear that he's a bad@$$. But at his heart he's still a nerd. That's just who he is. So this is the dark side of a geek with power, who's got the added ego trip of having won the public's favor AND having two (subjectively) hot girls fighting over him. I saw nothing wrong with the way he acted. I would've had a problem w/him acting like the Punisher, Wolverine or even Batman. That's not in him. The symbiote enhances your dark side; it doesn't change you into something you're not.

Well said.

But I think his strut was meant more as an "I'm enjoying this and don't give a damn about anyone else", than an "I'm a geek and this is how I think I look cool".

Generally, I very much enjoyed his 40's "jazz swinger" attitude. It's an oldie style of coolness, that I find very appropriate for the character of Peter Parker. It has way more class than what passes as coolness these days.:cwink:

You hit the nail in the head with the bolded part of your post, though. "Dark side" very rarely translates to "evil and murderous". Not in 95% of human population and certainly not in the case of Peter Parker.

I did see "I'm enjoying this and I don't give a damn about anyone else." I meant that he wasn't AWARE that he was still a geek. But that's who he is. Do you think any one of us would become radically different if affected by the symbiote? You'd probably hit on girls outside your relationship, but it would more likely be someone you were attracted to but never intended to act on it, not some **** you would never look at in a million years. You might become more aggressive, but only toward people you normally didn't like or who had hurt or betrayed you. It was a logical, plausible transition.

The classic suit didn't capture enough light and looked too dark and hard to see from what I heard. That's why they kept the webbing. Good idea in my opinion. I liked it.

The comic-version looks sweet!! I can't believe they took it out.Anyway my opinion goes to the comic book-version, they should have kept that look even if they had to flood him.

I love the comic version. But I also enjoyed the new movie one. In fact one of my main gripes (out side of some script issues) is that he wasn't wearing the suit enough. But that's just because I've always enjoyed the black suit. I loved how in the original comic he actually wore a cloth version for a while so when the Old Red and Blue came back we actually hadn't seen it for a while.

also in the original run of the Symbiote suit story line, Pete's personality wasn't affected at all. I actually thought it worked fairly well in the movie and people are just caught up in the dancing too much to see what a jerk he really did become.

It is kind of funny though that Venom wound up with the original logo.

This one right?

DSC00094.jpg

:wow: !!

First time I've seen this. I don't know why, but it's comforting to see this image. The awesomeness of this picture almost makes up for the changing of the suit. Seriously one of the best costumes I've ever seen.

It is kind of funny though that Venom wound up with the original logo.

Venom looks good with the logo, I'm glad they kept it on him, but I find that Spidey wears it best for some reason. :venom:

I guess because in the 616 comics, he's always the suit's first choice for a host.

^^^Sigh...

I guess all the discussion above was useless...

Oh, what's the point. After all's said and done, it always comes down to some eloquent criticism of the film like that...

^^^Sigh...

I guess all the discussion above was useless...

Oh, what's the point. After all's said and done, it always comes down to some eloquent criticism of the film like that...
Why are people so ignorant about Spider-man 3?:cmad:

Would have been cool to see, but I don't think it mattered in the long run.

I only wish it had truly brought out Pete's dark side, as opposed to his idiot one.
I honestly think Spider-man was the darkest in SM3, out of any symbiote saga incarnation.

I honestly think Spider-man was the darkest in SM3, out of any symbiote saga incarnation.

That's true, they never had Spider-man rip a villain apart in the cartoons, but if it weren't all censored like they always are, I bet they would've done a far better job than Spider-man 3. Even without the darkness and older rating system Spider-man 3 had, they still told the cooler story and looked far superior in a shorter time-frame.

It would have been cool to see. Also, it was strange that the symbiote stayed as the suit. Whatever happened to it being able to slide off, or change form? That would've been interesting to see. Then again, I guess they wanted to show a distinct difference between Peter and Eddie when they have the suit.

If you ask me, I think the Symbiote suit with webs works better on film. I mean, the comic one looks awesome in real life, but to be honest, it just most likely wouldn't look all that good on film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"