• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Which comic adaptation is the most unfaithful?

Mistopurr83

Sidekick
Reaction score
Out of all comic films I've seen it's either X-Men, Catwoman or Constantine. Those 3 films were nothing like the comics they were based on. Who here can tell me which one of them is the most unfaithful and why?

The Punisher 1989 version. The only thing it had to do with the character was the title and the guy's name happened to be Frank Castle. Other than that, it took nothing else from the comics.

Catwoman. No connection to Batman. No Gotham City. No costume that looks like one of the many variations of the Catwoman costume (from film, tv, or comics). Catwoman gets psuedo-superpowers. And most of all: NO SELINA KYLE!

Hence it cannot be called an adaptation.
I go with Punisher 1989; Blade is a close second. Even if they did revamp the comics to match the movie.
The X-Men movies aren't anywhere near as unfaithful as fanboys like to say they are. Pretty much all the changes are cosmetic, & all the basic elements remained intact.

would the american version of the guyver be in this catagory?

all x-men movies and but part 1 and 2 carried elements from the source material and got the essence but X3 went over board, Catwoman,Didn't see Constantine,Blade never read those comics,
Spider-man one didn't put Gwen in the Bridge seen...But always seen that as ok..because the Spider-TAS spider-mans love interest was mainly Mary Jane and Gwen Stacy only made a cameo so I don't find hard that they did the same with the movie as the cartoon.....I also like the web fliud came from Peter's wrist rather than him making it

But those are relatively minor changes. Not really unfaithful.

I haven't seen the 1989 Punisher movie but I have heard it was nothing like the comics.

X-Men and Constantine both made characters into something they never were. Now that is NOT what I call staying faithful.:o Both adaptations just took liberties and treated the comics as if they never existed. If you say films like X-Men, Constantine, Catwoman and the Punisher (1989) were faithful that is total ******ation or it shows you don't have the comic knowledge you claim to have.

Kable24 said:
The Punisher 1989 version. The only thing it had to do with the character was the title and the guy's name happened to be Frank Castle. Other than that, it took nothing else from the comics.

Except.....

1. He fought crime in New York.
2. He was inspired to become a vigilante thru the death of his family, murdered by the mob.
3. He's a 6 foot plus, black haired ass-kicker.
4. He fights gangsters rather than supervillains.
5. He uses all manner of weapons.
6. He's a loner with debatable sanity and a death wish.

Mistopurr83 said:
I haven't seen the 1989 Punisher movie but I have heard it was nothing like the comics.

X-Men and Constantine both made characters into something they never were. Now that is NOT what I call staying faithful.:o Both adaptations just took liberties and treated the comics as if they never existed. If you say films like X-Men, Constantine, Catwoman and the Punisher (1989) were faithful that is total ******ation or it shows you don't have the comic knowledge you claim to have.

X-Men is 70% faithful to the details of the comics, and 100% faithful to the spirit.

Which actually matters?

Mistopurr83 said:

Nobody said Catwoman was faithful. I don't even consider it an adaptation, having gone as far as it did.
I won't even comment on the Lundgren Punisher.
I've never read nor seen Constantine, but I don't see how you can say the X-Men movies were so unfaithful. Apart from not dressing them in the bright colors of the comics, & a few other similarly cosmetic changes, what do you mean?

Chris Wallace said:
The X-Men movies aren't anywhere near as unfaithful as fanboys like to say they are. Pretty much all the changes are cosmetic, & all the basic elements remained intact.

Ennh! I'd disagree.
X1 fails as soon as it begins. All of the abilities dumbed down, and the intro fight with Logan in a cage bit hard. Xavier is never revealed to the audience as anything more than headmaster with some gifts. Sabretooth is given the mind of an chimp. Storm barely flies. I could go on but won't with the examples.

I settled in the same manner as I did with Batman 1-4. those films were terrible but when I 1st watched them I was in love. Ok, not Batman&Robin...
but 1-3 I was happy, kinda. Til I grew up and realize how awful they portrayed the characters, cheating them of who they really are...
X Men is like that. One day I'll despise those films. If I knew nothing of X Men I might've been entertained. I've two decades of reading those books behind my belt and I'm kinda peeved. Liked X3 surprisingly, no worse than the previous two that's certain.

anywho, ya.

Kevin Roegele said:
X-Men is 70% faithful to the details of the comics, and 100% faithful to the spirit.

Which actually matters?
Personally, I've always felt the X-Men movies are really nothing like the spirit of the comics.

Not that I'm particularly knocking them or anything.

Kevin Roegele said:

Which actually matters?

WRONG! Now your somebody who doesn't have the X-Men knowledge you claim to. I read x-men comics before X1 and I can't think of anything that made the movies faithful to the 616 universe.

Chris Wallace said:
Nobody said Catwoman was faithful. I don't even consider it an adaptation, having gone as far as it did.
I won't even comment on the Lundgren Punisher.
I've never read nor seen Constantine, but I don't see how you can say the X-Men movies were so unfaithful. Apart from not dressing them in the bright colors of the comics, & a few other similarly cosmetic changes, what do you mean?

I was saying "if" somebody said that.

Constantine was unfaithful b/c in the comics Constantine was a blonde haired britain set in London whereas in the movie he was a dark haired american set it Los Angeles!:down There were other deviations but that was the main screw up in Constantine. Widipedia even has the differences between the movie and the comics. I will say when I first saw Constantine I liked it but, now that I found out it was so unfaithful to the comics, I hated it!

X-Men was so unfaithful b/c they made almost every character into something they never were, they didn't start out the same way the comics did, age ranges were screwed up, they butchered story arcs they were adapting, they didn't get any romantic relationships right, and they were given outfits/uniforms they never had on. That's what makes x-men the most unfaithful Marvel adaptation ever!:o

Well the only thing i can think that i didnt like was in batman 1 when they made jack napier the killer of bruce waynes parents. it was a great movie, but i just hate that now the people who arent familiar with batman year one think that batman begins is wrong because its not the joker that offs bruce's parents. then there i am sounding like a dork trying to explain it.

Mistopurr83 said:
WRONG! Now your somebody who doesn't have the X-Men knowledge you claim to. I read x-men comics before X1

lol

Well, I've read X-Men since 1987, but you''re clearly the expert here.....;)

Constantine.
Catwoman.
Batman and Robin.
The X-Men movies (outside of 2 which actually used a plotline from an actual X-comic).

JJ Abrams Unproduced Superman

Kevin Roegele said:
Except.....

1. He fought crime in New York.
2. He was inspired to become a vigilante thru the death of his family, murdered by the mob.
3. He's a 6 foot plus, black haired ass-kicker.
4. He fights gangsters rather than supervillains.
5. He uses all manner of weapons.
6. He's a loner with debatable sanity and a death wish.

Heh, you know I really like this movie. If he had only worn his skull shirt I'd bet you this movie would be looked upon today in a much different light.

Nah, I doubt it. Did the Punisher ever hang out naked in the sewers??? Plus, its got really terrible acting, and a super bland story and feel that make it more like a crappy cheap late 80s action movie than anything.

That said, I have a soft spot for it cause it used to come on HBO either late at night or early in the morning when I was younger and Id watch it every time. And I love the opening credits.

3dman27 said:
would the american version of the guyver be in this catagory?

Guyver: Dark Hero was more closer to the plot than the first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"