Which kind of music objectifies and degrades women most? Rock or Rap?

Rap. "slap my ***** up" "rape my *****" "hit my *****": how many rap songs exactly tell their listeners to abuse women today?

Rap. Doesn't even need much of an explanation why.

Taken from the Guardian!

Brown Sugar falls into that spellbinding category: Jagger-Richards songs least likely to be covered by Paul McCartney. This is not merely because the Rolling Stones' 1971 single embodies rock at its most primordial, but because the lyrics are intensely controversial, and to many people, offensive. Yes, despite its throbbing, upbeat tempo and exuberant getaway chorus, Brown Sugar is a song about slave owners having their way with nubile young black women. This is not very nice. It is so not very nice that when the Stones scheduled their 2003 trip to China, the heirs of Mao Zedong, that paragon of cultural sensitivity, singled out Brown Sugar as one of four numbers they were forbidden to play. One can only wonder what the commissars would have made of David Bowie's China Girl or George and Ira Gershwin's flamboyantly condescending Porgy and Bess. Whatever the case, nobody in Chicago, Los Angeles or Leeds ever suggested banning Brown Sugar. Well, at least not any white people.

we talking pre 90's or what? Cuz some of the Rock before the 90's was kinda iffy.

I'm at work so I don't really have the time to look up specific examples.

As a few others already posted it's pretty much common sense that rap takes the cake when it comes to degrading and objectifing women.

Weren't too many rock/metal bands that I personally, have listened to that talked **** about women. Closest thing would be AC/DC, just how most of their songs have sexual innuendos. Good example would be their song "Giving the dog a Bone".

Rap. I don't even know how they get women to do the crappy videos.

Oh yeah, thats right. Money. :dry:

Rap.

The music videos alone show how degarding the music can be. I don't want to stereotype, though. There are rap artists that don't need to have a ton of "video girls" bouncing around their videos.

Rap. Eminem is proof enough.

Also, "Brown Sugar" was originally called "Black Pu**y."

39.gif

Stuff like this makes me wonder who is really more degrading, the men towards women? or women toward themselves?.:huh:

39.gif

Speaking of objectifing...I can't stop staring at that ass!:wow:

39.gif

Stuff like this makes me wonder who is really more degrading, the men towards women? or women toward themselves?.:huh:

That's actually a good point. While the rap songs and videos are degrading enough sometimes, the women still sign up for them and don't complain. Nobody puts a gun to their head and says, "GET AS NAKED AS YOU CAN AND SHAKE THAT ASS!!!"

What about songs like "Bring your daughter to the slaughter" by Iron Maiden. It suggests women should bit the pillow whilst being sodomised!

Rock and Metal is not innocent either,..rap just takes center stage because its more popular these days.

80's bands had women prance around half naked in thier videos though those women signed dup for it as well...it's kind of a two way street. Women have a voice, they can speak up against it but I rarely see anyone really do that.

Rock and Metal is not innocent either, 80's bands had women prance around half naked in thier videos though those women signe dup for it too...so it's kind of a two way street. when it comes to degrading someone or yourself.

...rap just takes center stage because its more popular these days.

True, rock and metal aren't innocent, but these days things have changed, where as rap is actually getting worse. A song with the lyrics "Superman dat hoe" was a smash hit. That's all that needs to be said.

That's actually a good point. While the rap songs and videos are degrading enough sometimes, the women still sign up for them and don't complain. Nobody puts a gun to their head and says, "GET AS NAKED AS YOU CAN AND SHAKE THAT ASS!!!"

You could also say the same happened with rock during the 80s. :o

Rap has taken advantage of the video music phenomenon much more than rock or metal ever has to objectify women. Ther are a multitude of "R&B" videos that do the same. That being said, the amount of Rock and Metal songs that treat women as objects equals that of rap IMO.

True, rock and metal aren't innocent, but these days things have changed, where as rap is actually getting worse. A song with the lyrics "Superman dat hoe" was a smash hit. That's all that needs to be said.

Yes, that's true, rap is taking it to a whole new level. Sadly, as long as it sells it's going to continue.

Yet, self-degradation is also on the rise, look at how little girls are dressing.and acting.....and I mean 11-13 sometimes even 10. Nothing more can be really said.

People saying rap need to expend their horizons and check out some rap NOT on MTV. There is rap out there that doesn't objectify women.

People saying rap need to expend their horizons and check out some rap NOT on MTV. There is rap out there that doesn't objectify women.

I'm well aaware of that but it's not the point. The point is that there IS a lot of rap that objectifies women.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"