Don't, be, a HATER
...You Rap about as good as Christian SLA-ter

Prog-nost-i-CATOR
Don't, be, a HATER
...You Rap about as good as Christian SLA-ter

Don't be hatin' on Christian
Or I be givin' you a fistin'
'Cuz he's straight up dope ya ignorant rube
He was the star of Gleamin' The F**kin Cube!

WHATWHAT!!! WHATWHAT!!!! WHATWHAT!!!!

Oh yeah!

jag

LOL
"Gleamin' the ****in' Cube"
I just got a look for erupting in an instantly stifled LOL, which sounds like a cough/sneeze/alien embryo trying to escape.

"Christians' acting is bad, it make my sperm sterile
From Hollowman Two to Broken Arrow

**Pump up da Volume - Dance, DANSssss**

It's 3000 Miles to Graceland,
cause when I see his performance I visit the Sandman

This rap-off's been killin like monkeys in barrels,
But I feel like I'm rappin' with Larry, Daryl, & Daryl

*PEACE!*"

I'm not going to state my views as if it were fact in this post but I am going to say that these are simply my observations and interpretations of how i've seen these situations.

-Disliking or hating rap doesn't make a person racist.

-What Terry stated in his first post in the thread IS a very common occurance and despite the fact that not liking rap doesn't automatically make one racist, there are very strong racial undercurrents to this situation. From my observation, many(NOT ALL. I'm gonna say that again, NOT ALL) white people who say this interpret rap music as "silly black people" music and thus hate it profusely. Many of them use the fact that a lot of the music involves profanity as leverage to be able to justify asking you to turn it off. Some of them hate Stevie Wonder but Stevie Wonder doesn't have curse words so they've got nothing.

-What I said in the last statement is not how all whites who hate rap think of it but merely some. The rest fall into the group that is shared by black people who hate rap and that is simply that they find the music unintelligible and shallow. At the same time, i would say those people are only exposed to a certain amount of it and probably the wrong kind of it(for them anyway).

-It IS unfair that in many workplaces this does occur. I can honestly understand being asked to turn off rap that has audible curse words in it but that goes for ANY music, not just rap. However, if you're just listening to hot 97' on the radio, where things are obviously radio friendly, then yeah, it's quite unfair.

-The Headphone suggestion should be universal to all cubicles but it isn't because we live in a world where rap music isn't really accepted still by people over the age of about 35(though that is changing some).

-To those who get angry about what I said in my first point(some because they feel i'm wrong about them and some who are no doubt angry because I hit the nail right on the head about them), I will say i am not without my own share of prejudices. For example(and i don't make this a habit to release this to public domain but in the interest of the discussion, i'll just say it), I am not a big fan of male country singers. Number one is first and foremost, on the most base level, I don't like the sound of their voices. But on a deeper, perhaps more ridiculous level, hearing cowboyish, country sounding men types reminds me of decades past and the KKK and black men and women being strung up by slavemasters. Yes, I know it's kind of silly but it's how i feel. I can listen to female country singers though. Those I have no problem with. But it's just an example of how messed up a lot of people think about certain musical genres. Is my hangup kind of dumb? Maybe but at least i can admit it. Which leads me to my next point..

-For those who are often quoted as saying, "rap and r and b are the same thing", please stop talking. :whatever: The music maybe similar but it's obviously different in most other ways and for me, it just sounds racist. You might hear the quoted statement but all i hear is,"it's all black to me". It would be as silly as someone saying there's no difference between Heavy Metal and Country. To me, that's like saying,"who cares? It's all white". JUST as stupid.

That's all. *climbs off soapbox and goes back to lurking:hyper: "

I would slap his ass and call it a day. Play what you want.

I'd go over and say I don't like his rock

No big deal. As long as it's workplace appropriate (i.e. no naughty words and such), you should be able to play whatever you want.

Everyone here at the office has the ability to play music via their pc, laptop, ipod stereo, or whatever, and for the most part it's always within earshot. Employees play everything from country to rock to jazz, etc. I prefer to listen to hip hop during my stints here, and while it's not annoyingly loud, it can be within earshot, same as everyone else's music. The stuff I play just sounds "hardcore", but isn't extremely explicit stuff. One of the dudes near my cubicle actually comes over and says, "I'm not trying to be a dick, man, but could you play something else other than rap? I'm not really a fan of it, you know?" i'm like, everybody else plays rock and whatever else all the time and you're telling me that doesn't distract you, huh? He says nothing, but just repeats, "I'm just not really into rap stuff, man." So I say, when other people cut out the country and rock, I'll turn mine off. I try to be cool with people and refrain from having enemies, but some just seem adamant on walking into that territory. :o

see you are nice.
I would have ignored him when he didn't answer my first question.

just for pure the assholiness, i would have turned it up a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"