Turn that $%&# rap off!

Rap fans dont get bent out of shape, we just think it's insane. Have you ever seen a bumper sticker showing dislike against rock or techno? A majority of the white fans who buy rap have ****ty taste so I dont take their opinion into consideration. Eminem has been a blessing and a curse for rap. He brought it into the mainstream, but he is also responsible for alot of the gimmicks as well. I just dont understand how someone could say rap isnt music, and then go and listen to the same old sappy emo love ballad for the hundreth time. It's just weird:huh:

Ummmmmmmmm, sorry bro but you're way wrong about that one. If any ONE person or individual is responsible for brining rap to the mainstream/commercial audience it would be Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer.

15 million and 10 million albums can attest to that. Only Biggie has sold more than 10 million albums otherwise as a rap artist/emcee.

Eminem just legitimized the "white" emcee for mainstream audiences that had no clue about other white emcees years before he arrived.

Yeah, uh, Will Smith, Dr.Dre,Tupac and others are responsible for mainstream rap.Not Eminem.

I don't understand people like you. I'm not trying to convince you so there is no need to reply. People once said that rock wasn't music either.
Let me explain myself.
I don't find it as music, I find it as a performing art.

Rap is pretty much the only genre that isn't music to me. Like I know some songs have rap sections in their music but I still don't consider it music.

then how do you define music then?
It's not such an easy thing to answer. Doesn't matter what I say, we all have different opinions on what music is; I'm not saying you have to agree with my opinion, but just take it for what it is the same way I take all of your opinions what you think music is, music you like, etc.

But there is an objective way of looking at music.:huh:

It's not such an easy thing to answer. Doesn't matter what I say, we all have different opinions on what music is; I'm not saying you have to agree with my opinion, but just take it for what it is the same way I take all of your opinions what you think music is, music you like, etc.

That's why I wasn't going to argue with you. You think what you think and I think what I think.

But in all honesty Rap is music whether you like it or not, or whether you consider it a performing art or just noise.

Here is why....

Sports for example, now to me I have my own interpertation of what a sport is, it doesn't involve machines (NASCAR is out), and someone has to be able to physically stop you or prevent you from winning or achieving your goal. Meaning if you hit a baseball, someone can catch it and you're out, or if you kick a goal in soccer, a player can defend it from going into the goal. On top of that it takes a degree of skill (which can and will vary among novices to pros), cordination, athletic ability and training to play them. These to me are sports, so in my eyes, track and field is not a sport, it is a competition or event. Not sport.

Same with Golf or Swimming, they are not sports, in my eyes or by my definition of sport. Now people would argue with me on these until they died. How can I not consider Golf a sport? Or Track and field or Swimming? Those all take skill, athletic ability (okay they will give me golf eventually it's a game), training and corodination. Ah but as I said to me Sport is defined by someone being able to physically stop you or alter your result or the outcome of the game.

Now let's take Competitive Cheerleading, it possess the same requirments as Golf, Swimming, Track and Field, if not even more than some (like golf). Why do so many people not consider that a sport? Because it's cheerleading? How much different from Gymnastics is it? Not very, have you watched these females and yes males perform?

I bet they are in a hell of a lot better shape than 100% of golfers and 70% baseball players. Why isn't this considered a sport?

My point in my rant is this. Anything that can be played competively against other people, whether there is physical interaction or not can be considered a sport. You may not like it, I may not like it, but it is true. By definiton Poker is a sport, if Bowling is, Golf is and Darts are, poker sure as hell is.

So in ending, whether you or anyone else considers it music or not, Rap IS MUSIC.

Oh and these are The Roots and they play and make music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxLbKYCL2aM

Quit trying to convince the guy that rap is music. Its his view on it...let him be. His opinion might (that's a very small might) change later on but in the meantime let him have it. He's not trying to push onto you why he thinks rock is music so treat his opinion the way he treats yours...as a nonverbal.

And Terry, Tza is right...you shouldn't have even given that dude the respect of a verbal answer. A non-verbal pointing of your index finger to the direction back to his cubicle would've been more than enough.

Quit trying to convince the guy that rap is music. Its his view on it...let him be. His opinion might (that's a very small might) change later on but in the meantime let him have it. He's not trying to push onto you why he thinks rock is music so treat his opinion the way he treats yours...as a nonverbal.

And Terry, Tza is right...you shouldn't have even given that dude the respect of a verbal answer. A non-verbal pointing of your index finger to the direction back to his cubicle would've been more than enough.

I'm not trying to convince him, I am just informing him and anyone else here that Rap is music whether they consider it music or not. You clearly missed my point.

It is music regardless whether anyone considers is music or not. He can keep his opinion, that's fine with me.

Just like I keep mine, Golf, Swimming, Track and Field and NASCAR are not sports to me by my definitions.

Although despite that I still know that just about anything can be considered a sport.

Saying that rap isn't music is implying a fact and with a fact you need to have evidence to support that fact, so my suggestion for those of you that say that something isn't something, instead of saying just that, why not tell us what it IS, so that we won't have to argue about what the other person is trying to say.

So, don't say "rap isn't music". Say that, "rap is something that I don't listen to" or "rap is something that I don't respect" or "I don't know anything much about rap other than what I hear on the radio".

-TNC

Yeah, uh, Will Smith, Dr.Dre,Tupac and others are responsible for mainstream rap.Not Eminem.
If anything, I think Eminem made white kids like it; because if Eminem hadn't come along, I don't think a lot of white kids would like rap as they do now.

I think you should all invest in a set of headphones.

I think its the principle of the matter. Why should he use headphones when noone else does?

OMG, I can't believe there are still clueless people saying that Rap isn't music. **sigh and rolleyes X 1 Billion**

Listen carefully....

Music is the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity.

It is vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having rhythm, melody, or harmony.

Here's where you're getting confused....
If one man, alone, hits a kettle drum twice.....that's MUSIC.
Simple music....minimalist music.....but MUSIC.

Rapping is the vocal equivalent of drumming. It's PERCUSSIVE-singing...atonal, percussive vocalization, and suPREMEly musical.
It's an emphasis on the rhythmic side of music as opposed to the melodic.
And even that is not always the case as Nelly, for example, is actually a Blues singer masquerading as a Rapper.

Rap is music.
It doesn't matter if you think it's music or not, because it IS music, and if you don't agree, then you are wrong.
It's just like when an 89 year old hears your favorite band and says "THAT'S NOT MUSIC! :mad: THAT'S JUST NOISE!"......
..Well, they're wrong. It most certainly is music.

The most you can say is that Rap is not a kind of music that you like.

( Whoa, that's cool how the "OR"s go down diagonally. :wow: )

Rap is only one letter shy of being rape. :(

jag

Rap is only one letter shy of being rape. :(

jag

LOL!....

**Starts making beat box beats on the mic**

"...L-O-L, L-O-L,

If ya listen to rap, you're goin' ta hell

Ganstas murderin', killin', spillin' blood

Jaguars roarin' , ears' bleedin'

One letter from "RAPE", and Wilhelm's Screamin'..."

**Holds mic out to the audience b/f being pelted w/boos**

rap's not music...the wheel of fortune is filled with blood...yadda yadda bing bang.

Everyone here at the office has the ability to play music via their pc, laptop, ipod stereo, or whatever, and for the most part it's always within earshot. Employees play everything from country to rock to jazz, etc. I prefer to listen to hip hop during my stints here, and while it's not annoyingly loud, it can be within earshot, same as everyone else's music. The stuff I play just sounds "hardcore", but isn't extremely explicit stuff. One of the dudes near my cubicle actually comes over and says, "I'm not trying to be a dick, man, but could you play something else other than rap? I'm not really a fan of it, you know?" i'm like, everybody else plays rock and whatever else all the time and you're telling me that doesn't distract you, huh? He says nothing, but just repeats, "I'm just not really into rap stuff, man." So I say, when other people cut out the country and rock, I'll turn mine off. I try to be cool with people and refrain from having enemies, but some just seem adamant on walking into that territory. :o

What should happen next is, you come in the next day and introduce everybody via on loud volume to the glorious rap classic that is, Biggie Smalls' Ready to die album...:o F--k those cu-ts. You listen to their ish, they listen to you ish, it's fair game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"