Which movie has the most Bat screen time?

Here's as much Bruce Wayne in private scenes where he is acting more like Batman but not wearing the Batsuit and some where he is in the Batcave while in his Batsuit. I might be missing some but these are some I remember in no chronological order.

I might add more for the Burton films and for the Nolan films in this post, later.

Batman 1989:

-Investigating the ingredients to The Joker's toxin
-Looking over Jack Napier's file
-Looking over his parents case file to link Napier to his parents death
-Monitoring the people at his party in the Batcave
-Bringing Vicki Vale to the Batcave after rescuing her and talking for a bit before him using some sort of Anesthesia on her
-Vicki Vale walking into the Batcave

Batman Returns:

-Coming to the Batcave with a clawed injury in his gut and calling Alfred for anti-septic
-Framing The Penguin in the Batcave by scratching the CD
-Working on the Batmobile
-Bruce Wayne waiting for the Batsignal

Last edited:
-Bringing Vicki Vale to the Batcave after rescuing her and talking for a bit before him using some sort of Anesthesia on her

Yeah, this one is a Batman scene though, and would've been included in Travesty's count up.

I wouldn't count that scene, he's just sitting at home brooding and chewing on his knuckles, not necesarily waiting on the Bat-signal, it just so happens to come on while we are watching him at home. If he was in the cave doing some research when it came on, that would be different.

Yeah, cheers, I did have most of them in mind, but they are pretty short compared to the Bruce doing Batman work in the cave/daytime in the Nolans.

I don't see how you come to the conclusion that we would have avoided the Schumacher movies just because Batman got an origin story in the first movie?

If Returns had not pissed off the soccer moms so much, WB wouldn't have brought Schumacher in to lighten the movies up, and we'd have been spared Batman and Robin, which was the cause of the collapse of the old franchise.

It's pretty simple.

1. Burton makes origin movie in 1989. Origin movie is a huge success.

2. Burton makes Batman vs. Joker movie in 1992. This sequel is a big success.

3. Burton makes Batman vs. Penguin/Catwoman movie in 1995. This sequel isn't as well-received as the Joker one. But what this does is likely cut Schumacher out of it entirely because of his age. He was borderline too old to be directing Batman Forever in the first place. I think another 3 years gone by and he wouldn't have been the choice to follow Burton. Another factor: 3 more years gone by and Batman Returns likely wouldn't have received quite as big of a negative uproar from so-called "soccer moms." With another director on-board and a vision closer to Burton's, the franchise continues and Nolan is never needed for a reboot.

Last edited:
It's pretty simple.

3. Burton makes Batman vs. Penguin/Catwoman movie in 1995. This sequel isn't as well-received as the Joker one. But what this does is likely cut Schumacher out of it entirely because of his age. He was borderline too old to be directing Batman Forever in the first place. I think another 3 years gone by and he wouldn't have been the choice to follow Burton. Another factor: 3 more years gone by and Batman Returns likely wouldn't have received quite as big of a negative uproar from so-called "soccer moms." With another director on-board and a vision closer to Burton's, the franchise continues and Nolan is never needed for a reboot.

That's all pure speculation. I thought you had some facts to back up what you were saying. How do you know an origin movie done by Burton would have been a huge success? Don't even know what villain he'd have used in it, or what kind of approach he'd have taken. Or that he would have followed with the Joker in sequel? What even makes you think that if he did do an origin movie, he still wouldn't have included the Joker in it?

Not saying you're wrong, because I don't know either. I'm just saying everything you said there is pure speculation.

It's pretty simple.

I don't think Schumacher being in his 50s had anything to do with him being or not allowed to direct a Batman movie, what effect did that have anyway? Without knowing better I would've never guessed the director of BF was in his 50s just by watching the movie..on the contrary, I would've thought otherwise as Schumacher main cast seems to be a little bit on the younger side and the overall look and feel (at least in Forever) seemed to go for a fresher and more "hip" look if you will, if a vision is there I think age is a non factor.

I wouldn't count that scene, he's just sitting at home brooding and chewing on his knuckles, not necesarily waiting on the Bat-signal, it just so happens to come on while we are watching him at home. If he was in the cave doing some research when it came on, that would be different.

What else in the universe could Bruce have possibly been doing there, completely motionless, just at the spot he knows the bat-signal is designed to reach?

What else in the universe could Bruce have possibly been doing there, completely motionless, just at the spot he knows the bat-signal is designed to reach?

Ok, thinking about it, and after you saying that, I would count it as a 'Batman' scene. Yeah, I suppose you are right, he may very well be sitting waiting on the signal. Even if he was not waiting on the signal, and could see it from every window in the house, it still has teh imagery of a Batman scene.
He should be out there anyway, patrolling, stopping muggings like he was at the start of Batman89, not waiting on the signal for the big jobs. But, that's ok I suppose, to give us that cool Bat-signal scene, just doesn't make sense in a 'Batman mentality' way. It's a bit like the old tv show, waiting on being called/signalled, instead of patrolling for random crime.

Last edited:
Ok, thinking about it, and after you saying that, I would count it as a 'Batman' scene. Yeah, I suppose you are right, he may very well be sitting waiting on the signal. Even if he was not waiting on the signal, and could see it from every window in the house, it still has teh imagery of a Batman scene.

Hey, if he just relied on the bat-signal been able to be spotted from every possible window, why to build all those mini-batsignals just to reach that particular room?

He should be out there anyway, patrolling, stopping muggings like he was at the start of Batman89, not waiting on the signal for the big jobs.

He used to do that on B89.

By the end of it, it is very well stated that "IF the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city, call me," for which purpose he gave the city a signal.

In other words, he won't be necessarily be out there every night. The signal has now the fuinction of calling him.

It is quite well stated in the first movie.

But, that's ok I suppose, to give us that cool Bat-signal scene, just doesn't make sense in a 'Batman mentality' way.

It makes perfect sense within the events of both Burton movies. If he's going to be out there all the time, why the signal?

It's a bit like the old tv show, waiting on being called/signalled, instead of patrolling for random crime.

Yeah, maybe. Or maybe it's following the logic of its own logic.

Hey, if he just relied on the bat-signal been able to be spotted from every possible window, why to build all those mini-batsignals just to reach that particular room?

Yeah, I know, i was just hypothesising *if* he could see the signal from any or other windows in the house, i recall the scene well.

He used to do that on B89.

By the end of it, it is very well stated that "IF the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city, call me," for which purpose he gave the city a signal.

In other words, he won't be necessarily be out there every night. The signal has now the fuinction of calling him.

It is quite well stated in the first movie.

It makes perfect sense within the events of both Burton movies. If he's going to be out there all the time, why the signal?

Yeah, maybe. Or maybe it's following the logic of its own logic.

Well, the signal is just like in the books, if Gordon has a specific problem that he feels he can't solve on his own, or is a Batman specialty like the Joker, he will flash the signal. Batman will be out there patrolling regardless.

Yeah, it was just that we see Batman in 89 out patrolling and stopping muggings etc, 'We've had, what 8 bat-attacks in the last month?'
It's just a bit strange for him to be sitting at home *waiting* on the signal, if he's up to going out and busting up some crime, why not just take the car out and cruise for crime, a more constant presence would probably prevent some crime happening, like we see with the 'powerball' crook in TDK.

Yeah, I know, i was just hypothesising *if* he could see the signal from any or other windows in the house, i recall the scene well.

Ah ok. But it's clear Bruce won't rely on watching the bat-signal from any window. He has that room spoecially for t. Which makes the scene completely Batman-related.

Well, the signal is just like in the books, if Gordon has a specific problem that he feels he can't solve on his own, or is a Batman specialty like the Joker, he will flash the signal. Batman will be out there patrolling regardless.

Who told you it was just like in the books? I understand that you assumed it is, but in the movie the function of it is quite clearly explained.

Yeah, it was just that we see Batman in 89 out patrolling and stopping muggings etc, 'We've had, what 8 bat-attacks in the last month?'

Before the bat-signal it was that way only, yes.

It's just a bit strange for him to be sitting at home *waiting* on the signal, if he's up to going out and busting up some crime, why not just take the car out and cruise for crime, a more constant presence would probably prevent some crime happening, like we see with the 'powerball' crook in TDK.

In TDK we can see perfectly how the "Batman effect" works without Batman being everywhere, which is impossible anyways. We see that drug dealer not wanting to sell his stuff because of the Bat-signal merely. It is symbolic violence; Batman is not there, he might even be at home, but criminals are intimidated anyways because of the mere probability of Batman appearing from the shadows. The crime IS prevented but not because of Batman being there. The bat-signal therefore becomes a crime preventer per se.

Therefore it's not a bit strange that Bruce is at home waiting for the signal that a big crime is in development. After B89, Batman and the Police Dept have a deal and a partnership on crime fighting. He doesn't need to be out there every night anymore.

Who told you it was just like in the books? I understand that you assumed it is, but in the movie the function of it is quite clearly explained.

Well, I was really just trying to put into practical terms what the melodramatic way it was expressed in Batman's letter. lol, i don't think it was *that* clearly explained, 'if the forces of evil should rise up', does that mean if a gang of purse snatchers are rising up, or a bunch of supervillans? ie How bad does it have to be before they call Batman, so I went to the books to try to get the meaning behind that, because it had a logical and clearer system and meaning behind the signal's use.

Before the bat-signal it was that way only, yes.

In TDK we can see perfectly how the "Batman effect" works without Batman being everywhere, which is impossible anyways. We see that drug dealer not wanting to sell his stuff because of the Bat-signal merely. It is symbolic violence; Batman is not there, he might even be at home, but criminals are intimidated anyways because of the mere probability of Batman appearing from the shadows. The crime IS prevented but not because of Batman being there. The bat-signal therefore becomes a crime preventer per se.

Therefore it's not a bit strange that Bruce is at home waiting for the signal that a big crime is in development. After B89, Batman and the Police Dept have a deal and a partnership on crime fighting. He doesn't need to be out there every night anymore.

I don't know, the reason I find it strange is because he is a very driven man to have got that far with the training and setting up his base of operations, m.o. etc. So, I don't know how a guy like that can just sit around waiting for the call, if he was recovering from an injury, was researching something while in the room, I can understand that, but just to sit there, essentially looking at his beeper waiting for it to go off, yeah, I think that's strange, considering who he is.
I suppose you could say he was in deep philosophical contemplation there, ok, I can buy that, but can't he do that some other time, first thing in the morning when he gets up and is having his brekkie, other than at night when more crooks come out?

Well, I was really just trying to put into practical terms what the melodramatic way it was expressed in Batman's letter. lol, i don't think it was *that* clearly explained, 'if the forces of evil should rise up', does that mean if a gang of purse snatchers are rising up, or a bunch of supervillans?

Exactly. Given that he had just taken Joker down it's assumable that's the kind of danger he is refering to.

ie How bad does it have to be before they call Batman, so I went to the books to try to get the meaning behind that, because it had a logical and clearer system and meaning behind the signal's use.

I think police will assume they don't need the emergency button for common crimes. Joker and such villiains, on the other hand, have proven to be far above what police can control.

I don't know, the reason I find it strange is because he is a very driven man to have got that far with the training and setting up his base of operations, m.o. etc. So, I don't know how a guy like that can just sit around waiting for the call, if he was recovering from an injury, was researching something while in the room, I can understand that, but just to sit there, essentially looking at his beeper waiting for it to go off, yeah, I think that's strange, considering who he is.

It's very common to see Bruce not going out every single night. He is already known amongst criminals such as minor muggers and therefore they fear him even when he's not actually out therte, so he's mostly needed to stop bigger fish. Bat-signal will tell him when something big is happening.

I could go and find strange that Bruce Wayne would pose as a playboy celebrity, wasting time with models and parties instead of being fighting crime. But if he's going to actually be carried away by his Batman mission he better be out there fighting crime 24/7.

I suppose you could say he was in deep philosophical contemplation there, ok, I can buy that, but can't he do that some other time, first thing in the morning when he gets up and is having his brekkie, other than at night when more crooks come out?

I bet he does that at some more proper time, considering that the philosophical contemplation is merely your personal speculation on what he is doing right at the couch where he knows the bat-signal is going to reach.

Exactly. Given that he had just taken Joker down it's assumable that's the kind of danger he is refering to.

I think police will assume they don't need the emergency button for common crimes. Joker and such villiains, on the other hand, have proven to be far above what police can control.

Yeah, I mean, that is basically what I took from it as well, and said in that post back there, about Gordon calling him for jobs like the Joker, like it is in the books.
It is quite a funny melodramatic letter, but I suppose it's quite a parcel to receive in the post, a big Bat-signal, so the attached letter was in keeping with that level of overdramatic ott-ness. They/we all know what he's talking about.

It's very common to see Bruce not going out every single night. He is already known amongst criminals such as minor muggers and therefore they fear him even when he's not actually out therte, so he's mostly needed to stop bigger fish. Bat-signal will tell him when something big is happening.

I could go and find strange that Bruce Wayne would pose as a playboy celebrity, wasting time with models and parties instead of being fighting crime. But if he's going to actually be carried away by his Batman mission he better be out there fighting crime 24/7.

That's part of the job though, like Alfred said in BB, 'It begs the question, whay exactly does millianaire Bruce Wayne do with his time?' It's the same as an undercover cop setting up an alias, doing all that prep legwork before he actually gets down to amassing evidence, it's setting up safeguards so his work can carry on without being more open to certain risks.

I bet he does that at some more proper time, considering that the philosophical contemplation is merely your personal speculation on what he is doing right at the couch where he knows the bat-signal is going to reach.

Yeah, you're right.

Yeah, I mean, that is basically what I took from it as well, and said in that post back there, about Gordon calling him for jobs like the Joker, like it is in the books.

I'm glad it was clear for both of us. For one moment I thought you thought the issue wasn't "that clearly explained."

It is quite a funny melodramatic letter,

I missed the comedy and the melodrama, where are they exactly? Anyweay I wouldn't be surprised if it's more than "Get this to call me if you need it," we're talking about a man who, in order to fight crime, decides that he must dress himself as a bat with a big cape and everything.

but I suppose it's quite a parcel to receive in the post, a big Bat-signal, so the attached letter was in keeping with that level of overdramatic ott-ness. They/we all know what he's talking about.

I get the feeling he didn't send it my mail.

Like he doesn't get gas for the batmobile in any average station.

That's part of the job though, like Alfred said in BB, 'It begs the question, whay exactly does millianaire Bruce Wayne do with his time?' It's the same as an undercover cop setting up an alias, doing all that prep legwork before he actually gets down to amassing evidence, it's setting up safeguards so his work can carry on without being more open to certain risks.

Even so, it can easily backfire. If Bruce get out to party everyday with two models, then he's easily spottable. Everyone can see where he is and when he dissapears.

As I said it's not a plothole or anything but just as odd as saying that because one night he was at his mansion he was doing anything else but waiting for the bat-signal.

I missed the comedy and the melodrama, where are they exactly? Anyweay I wouldn't be surprised if it's more than "Get this to call me if you need it," we're talking about a man who, in order to fight crime, decides that he must dress himself as a bat with a big cape and everything.

lol, ok, not a big joke or anything, and you're right, it's a letter from a guy who dresses as a Bat, so the drama is about right for the letter, *not* ott melodrama.

I get the feeling he didn't send it my mail.

Like he doesn't get gas for the batmobile in any average station.

Yeah, I just always wondered how that Bat-Signal ended up there, how he would have dropped it off. Gordon says 'He gave us this signal.' So, I don't know if he meant BM sent him an iron-on Bat-insignia he could attach to a searchlight if they had one, or he dropped one off from his spare Bat-wing(if he had one), or whirly-bat.

Even so, it can easily backfire. If Bruce get out to party everyday with two models, then he's easily spottable. Everyone can see where he is and when he dissapears.

As I said it's not a plothole or anything but just as odd as saying that because one night he was at his mansion he was doing anything else but waiting for the bat-signal.

I don't think it's *just* as odd, as when he is attending the parties etc, putting on the persona for show, that is part of the job, dealing with the problem Alfred refered to, folk wondering what the famous Bruce Wayne does with his spare time. If he just does it now and again, there will be no pattern to his disappearances as Bruce and appearances as Batman.
Whereas if he is just sitting in the house waiting for the Bat-signal to go off, why can't he just go out and take the job to the crooks? There are always crimes the cops miss, they can't be everywhere, and he has the resources to help and is accepted by them.
I just think it's strange he's sitting in the house for doing nothing , for no reason, in that moment.
Personally, if I wanted to do that Bat-signal scene , I would have shown him training in the Bat-cave on the bars or something, and had the mirrors reflect the signal down to the cave. It would have made more sense as well, as that Bat-signal showing up through his window would be a bit of a giveaway to anyone driving past the Manor.

Last edited:
I'll eat my words if someone can prove that there's more Bruce Wayne screen time in either Burton movie than the Nolan movies.

Once again I'm gonna have to bring up the Joel Schumacher movies. It's amusing that we went from Batman screentime to Bruce Wayne, out of costume, doing Batman things. Well, let's look at Batman Forever. There's Bruce Wayne at the circus screaming, "HARVEY, I AM BATMAN" and then fighting thugs. There's the batcave scene where he's angry that Dick Grayson wants to become his partner. There's the scene where he opens up to Chase and reveals his dark past. There's the attack at the mansion with Bruce fighting out of costume AGAIN. There's the scene with him and Alfred solving the Riddler's puzzles.

Like I said earlier, if Schumacher wins I'm gonna laugh so hard.

I just added the private Bruce Wayne scenes in.

Batman '89

Batman/Bruce Wayne-in-private

-Rooftop Scene
-Monitoring the people at his party in the Batcave
-Axis Chemical Shootout
-Looking over Jack Napier's file
-Investigating the ingredients to The Joker's toxin
-Museum Attack/Batmobile drive
-Fight with Joker's goons/Batmobile drive to cave
-In the Batcave with Vicki/Talks about Joker's plan
-His identity revealed to Vicki the next day in the Batcave
-Connecting Napier with his parents death in the Batcave
-Suit-up/Blowing up Axis Chemical/Staring at Joker in helicopter
-Batwing during Joker's Parade/Batwing Crash
-Entering the Church/Fighting two goons/Joker fight
-Ending scene on building

Batman Returns

Batman/Bruce Wayne-in-private

-Batman to the rescue
-Patrolling Gotham in Batmobile
-Batman fights clown gang in streets
-Batman talks to Penguin
-Batman and Catwomen fight
-Coming to the Batcave with a clawed injury in his gut
-Bruce's date with Selina while unable to keep up his public persona
-Suiting-up
-Investigating Ice-Princess/Being framed/Catwoman straddling on him
-Batmobile takeover
-Framing The Penguin in the Batcave
-Working on the Batmobile
-Bruce at the party with Selina/unable to keep up his public persona to the point that they figure out each others secret identities
-Saving 1st born sons
-Infiltrating Penguin's lair
-Max Shrek/Catwomen fight

Nice work, Travesty. That must have taken some great effort.

I've always wondered this myself so thanks for posting it up.

I'll eat my words if someone can prove that there's more Bruce Wayne screen time in either Burton movie than the Nolan movies.
I'll try to do that, too. Maybe not by this weekend, but I'll do it soon.:cwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"