Which of These Pics are CGI?

DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs

Avenger
Reaction score
ku-bigpic.jpg

The Answer?

BOTH!

Both were rendered by Dan Roarty is a lead character artist at Tomb Raider developers Crystal Dynamics. He worked on the ill-fated Star Wars 1313, modelling and texturing the game's main character. Here are a few more pics of his work:

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

You can tell that neither are real especially the old woman

You can tell that neither are real especially the old woman

Easy for you to say after DJ already revealed that.

I think the pics look outstanding; but the real test, as always, is in the animation. There's a lot of CGI that looks photo-perfect if you're just looking at a screencap; but I'd like to see how fluid the motion is, the speech animations, facial movement, the whole nine yards.

Too bad once as soon as you look at the picture you can tell that they're fake, don't even need an answer. Yeah they look good, but eh I don't like that uncanny valley cg

I've seen some clips of the old Star Wars 1313 game and looked amazing, I have no don't these characters running on the next gen of systems would look great in motion. There are little minuscule details that give away they are both fake but I think the young girl looks phenomenal. The older lady looked fake to me when I first saw it but only just barely, as good as the wrinkles look something about them just doesn't keep up the illusion

At best they look like wax figurines especially the old woman. We still haven't crossed the uncanny valley yet.

Even the best movie CGI when it comes to animating people they always seem to stick out.

You can tell they're not real. I agree that about the uncanny valley not being crosse yet.

I guessed both as well. The old woman looks like she walked out of the Tin Tin movie. The blonde girl was a little harder to decipher, but the hair and eyes gave it away in the end.

The textures, including every little skin pore and every strand of hair, are photorealistic, and the best I've ever seen. But CGI eyes, as always, remain dead and lifeless (and the biggest hurdle to overcome in uncanny valley); and again, I'm sure that the illusion would fall apart completely if you could see those characters in animation.

Like others have said, you can tell both. But they are still really incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"