Which one is better ? SW Force Awakens or Guardians of the Galaxy ?

Um, Ronan got defeated by a dance off.

It wasn't even that funny.

Ronan beat up Drax with little effort and needed 4 of the GotG wielding an Infinity Stone to beat him. Ren got punked by a desert scavenger with no hand-to-hand lightsaber training or idea of how to use the Force. I can't think of many ways to make a villain look weaker or more pathentic than TFA did with Ren.

Ronan beat up Drax with little effort and needed 4 of the GotG wielding an Infinity Stone to beat him. Ren got punked by a desert scavenger with no hand-to-hand lightsaber training or idea of how to use the Force. I can't think of many ways to make a villain look weaker or more pathentic than TFA did with Ren.

Well I won't discuss SW spoilers but Ren had physical and emotional disadvantages when fighting Rey.

Compare that to some dude doing the running man to defeat a powerful kree leader with a freaking infinity gem. That's the silliest supervillian defeat ever put on film.

Looking at Star Wars as a bigger franchise, and how it affected these big budgeted movies, particularly Guardians of the Galaxy, I can see why he said that.

Gamora and Drax?

Way late replying to this but no, Rocket and Groot. Gamora was one of the worst parts and Drax...exists, I guess. Rocket and Groot weren't particularly outstanding characters, but they were enjoyable. Certainly more than the previously mentioned two, space fratboy and one of the worst recent blockbuster villains.

Last edited:
I give it to GOTG because it felt more original.

I give it to GOTG because it felt more original.

TFA had plenty to appreciate that was new.

Han was older and evolved into a new person.

Rey was very different from Luke and I'm not just talking genitals.

The visual effects felt very modern yet real.

The villains felt flawed yet dangerous which was refreshing.

The ending makes SW8 the 2nd most anticipated movie in the 21st century after TFA. Not an easy task.

It explored everything we love about SW and expanded on it. Brilliantly done.

I feel like it was made for SW fans first and the general audience second.

GotG was the opposite, it was made for the general audience first and GOTG fanboys second.

There's nothing wrong with that (it worked) but as a SW fan I like TFA's fan service better.

Y'know what I just realized. Both franchises are owned by Disney and Marvel in someway. Marvel does the comics, Disney distributes shows and I think the movies.

Um, Ronan got defeated by a dance off.

It wasn't even that funny.

Ha! That's my opinion too. My wife and I both just rolled our eyes at that point. A dance off? Really?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed GOTG but that part came off as just silly. And not the funny kind of silly, the silly kind of silly. IMO of course.

Guardians is a weird movie to me. I absolutely loved it when I first saw it in the theaters. I can barely get through the movie today. It's schtick wore off fast with me.

But even without that and say I only saw GotG once in the theater, Star Wars still trumps it. I'm the ripe age for the OT so this new one really hit me in the feels.

TFA had plenty to appreciate that was new.

The visual effects felt very modern yet real.

The ending makes SW8 the 2nd most anticipated movie in the 21st century after TFA. Not an easy task.

I feel like it was made for SW fans first and the general audience second.

GotG was the opposite, it was made for the general audience first and GOTG fanboys second.

There's nothing wrong with that (it worked) but as a SW fan I like TFA's fan service better.

I never said TFA was complete rehash. But again, I felt that GOTG was the more original film between the two. TFA does new things within a familiar framework....but it still felt like a familiar framework, IMO.

Old Ben Kenobi isn't a new person.

Well Luke never got mindwiped, but she was a scaranver and a trained Jedi.

Darth Vader anyone?

No, it did the same old and painted it as something new.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens, without question.

Guardians, the more I think about the TFA the less I like it.

guardians much more fun and I enjoyed it as a richer movie. Tfa was good but no where near as the second coming that a lot of fans claim it to be

As for the villain arguement Ronan was defeated by a big ass gun and the infinity stone the dance off was a distraction, not what beat him

I'm not a Star Wars "geek" so to speak, but did love SWtFA. However, I enjoyed GotG a little more. GotG 8.5/10 & SWtFA 8/10 for me...

I'm not a Star Wars "geek" so to speak, but did love SWtFA. However, I enjoyed GotG a little more. GotG 8.5/10 & SWtFA 8/10 for me...

GotG 7.5/10
TFA 8.5/10

I think I still have to see TFA a couple more times to get a handle on how I feel about it. That out of the way though... Sorry, GOTG is in my opinion terribly overpraised, and the comments about it's supposed "groundbreaking originality" or how it took chances or what have you... Yeah, I can't buy any of it. It's a thoroughly mediocre film that, sure, I liked the dialog and some of the character interactions but... It's so by the numbers. People can complain about TFA retreading territory but I feel it at least did it all very well. GOTG has a piss poor, unengaging villain, lackluster action, paint by numbers characters, wasted talent throughout the cast (seriously... Gillan, Zoe, Glenn Close, Riley... such nothing characters they played) and a "I'm Sooooooooo cool" vibe that was fun at first but just rub me the wrong way the longer it goes on. Now... Is it a "bad" film? No. I think I can say I honestly think the one straight up bad thing is the handling of the villain, his dialog, the presentation and so forth... But that's it. The film isn't bad. It's just out and out "meh" to me, but I guess it's self satisfied tone sort of worked with the audience. I don't hate it but I am absolutely stunned at it's success and loyal fans out there. I do think I am seeing more and more who were fans starting to have the bloom come off the rose for them, so maybe upon further reflection they realized they were all really FARSCAPE/SERENITY/FIREFLY/BLAKE'S SEVEN/STAR WARS fans that just needed their fix of a rag-tag band of misfits in space or something.

I think GotG and The Avengers are two films that are overrated in the MCU imo. Don't get me wrong, they good movies but the feel like more could have been done plot and character wise in both films. They're very similar films.

I think GotG was successful because it achieved what it was striving for and it something different and a breath of fresh air from all the cbms we've been getting lately.

They are similar films; both being broadly about a group of individuals learning to become a team. Though Guardians was more specifically about a group of individuals who long for a family coming together to form a new one, which gave it more emotional power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"