• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Daredevil Which Villains should appear in this TV series?

Regarding Elektra, I’ve never been all that invested in the “coolness” of the character. At this point, I’ve either forgotten or I never got to read the original “Elektra saga” stories among the Daredevil back issues I had picked up at one point. I halfway remember having a few copies of the 1980s mini-series that Miller did with Bill Sienkiewicz—but beyond Mr. Sienkiewicz’s cool artwork, it didn’t stand out to me. I liked Jennifer Garner’s portrayal well enough in the two films, but that’s about as far as it goes.

Elektra is an important character in Miller's run and she is kind of Daredevil's version of Catwoman, a love interesting that is also a villain the hero has to fight. But really she served her purpose after she got killed by Bullseye, Miller intended that to be her swan song and was annoyed when other writers brought her back. I say in the TV series, use of some Miller stories and then have Bullseye kill her and then do not bring her back. There are other love interests he can pursue in later seasons.

Miller himself made the decision to revive her, though, which always made me think he's complaining about nothing. That being said, I agree completely that once she is killed off, she should have no further role in Matt's life. I'm fine with bringing her back to life for an Elektra series, though. But Matt has other love interests to pursue (who will eventually die in all probability). Keep in mind, in the comics, Matt's romance with Elektra was always in the past. I'm not sure I would change that either.

BTW, I was thinking recently about Katee Sackoff's comments that she's wearing her red leather to her meeting with Stan Lee. I wonder if she might play Elektra.

Elektra is too cool/interesting a character to leave dead. She doesn't have to be a love interest, but she should be around. Heck, if they do a "Phase Two" of this Netflix thing, give her her own show as a globe trotting assassin/mercenary.

Miller himself made the decision to revive her, though, which always made me think he's complaining about nothing. That being said, I agree completely that once she is killed off, she should have no further role in Matt's life. I'm fine with bringing her back to life for an Elektra series, though. But Matt has other love interests to pursue (who will eventually die in all probability). Keep in mind, in the comics, Matt's romance with Elektra was always in the past. I'm not sure I would change that either.

BTW, I was thinking recently about Katee Sackoff's comments that she's wearing her red leather to her meeting with Stan Lee. I wonder if she might play Elektra.

I really like Katee, and I'd love for her to appear in a Marvel project, but I don't think that Elektra is the right fit for her. Elektra is Greek and she's often drawn as somewhat more olive-skinned. Plus, I just think that she should have a more "exotic" look/vibe about her. Katee would be great for someone like Carol Danvers or Mockingbird.

Elektra is too cool/interesting a character to leave dead. She doesn't have to be a love interest, but she should be around. Heck, if they do a "Phase Two" of this Netflix thing, give her her own show as a globe trotting assassin/mercenary.

My idea for season 2 is to involve the Hand/Elektra resurrection storyline to open the path for an Elektra series.

I don't want to see Elektra in red leather again. If she appears, I want something much lighter and more cloth-like.

With the guy who did Spartacus as the showrunner, who says shes gonna wear anything at all?

I don't want to see Elektra in red leather again. If she appears, I want something much lighter and more cloth-like.

Yeah, but based on the pics revealed, it's pretty obvious that Katee is Elektra. If not then she's definitely Typhoid.

Not really, a villain so much as just an antagonist, but I think it would be great for Paladin to show up and get in Daredevil's way.

So Leland Owlsley better known as The Owl has been confirmed to be played by Bob Gunton.

Well, if she appears at all, right now it looks like that may be very much what we will get.

Bob Gunton is a great actor, so that's cool. I'm not convinced that he'll be wearing a costume on the show though. I could see him just being a rival crime boss of Fisk who's nickname is "The Owl."

Bob Gunton is a great actor, so that's cool. I'm not convinced that he'll be wearing a costume on the show though. I could see him just being a rival crime boss of Fisk who's nickname is "The Owl."

Well, as I said in another thread, Leeland Owlsley never wore a costume in the comics.

Now that we know a bit more about the series, do you think there will be any villains in the first season besides Owl and Kingpin or will the Owl/Kingpin gang war provide all the conflict for the first season?

If they are doing the origin in the first couple of episodes, we would see the appearance of Fixer and Slade, the gangsters who murdered Jack Murdock.

Is there any way to incorporate some of the lame villains (Leap-Frog, Matador, Stilt-Man, etc) into this series or would that simply not work? Perhaps there could be amusing cameos for them, but they are certainly not necessary.

Well, Daredevil fights a ninja with a knife on a chain in one scene, so Kingpin and Owl definitely aren't the only antagonists this season.

Well, Daredevil fights a ninja with a knife on a chain in one scene, so Kingpin and Owl definitely aren't the only antagonists this season.

Okay, so I guess the Hand is involved in the first season, somehow. I suppose Owl or Kingpin could use some non Bullseye hit men in their war, but that is not necessary either.

The Kingpin and The Owl could be adequate for sustaining the drama for Season 1 on the villain front, particularly if The Hand are also in the mix. One ace up the show's sleeve could be working in The Punisher in an antagonist role too. Beyond that, even if you rule out Bullseye and Elektra, I'd love to see Typhoid Mary or Purple Man (though they might prefer to save him for Jessica Jones).

I feel like it's too early for Elektra, Nuke or Typhoid if Marvel is choosing to wait on introducing Bullseye until season 2.

Who I'd like to see is Mister Fear, Death Stalker and Turk Barrett. Turk would be a comic relief villain who would work as an enforcer for Fisk. Mister Fear would get his start as a villain in Season 1. Death Stalker would be a side villain who dies at the end of Season 1 so the first season doesn't feel like it's just an origin. I'd close the first season with Karen Page heading to LA. I'd also involve The Hand in some way.

Season 2 will be where Kingpin hires assassins to hunt down Matt Murdoch. We see Bullet, Elektra, Gladiator, Nuke and Bullseye show up to collect the price on Daredevil's head after Karen Page returns to New York as a drug addict and outs Murdoch to Fisk. Mister Fear already knew Matt's secret identity so he's one step ahead of the rest.

I'd close Season 2 with Bullseye murdering Elektra which resolve's Matt's love triangle in an incredibly brutal way then Matt kill him by dropping him off a building. I'd make the last three episodes have Mister Fear be the one to come closest to collecting the bounty where he takes advantage of Matt's lose grip on sanity by attempting to manipulate him into murdering a child and then kidnapping Matt while Bullseye is revealed to have survived his fall and kills Karen by torturing her to death in Matt's absence. I'd end the season with Mister Fear committing suicide and Matt getting some really epic fights with Bullseye and Kingpin.

Season 3 would have Typhoid as Matt's new girlfriend who also has another personality where she's a serial killer while the Hand resurrect Elektra but poison Matt with a hallucinogen that causes him to see horrifying demons everywhere. I'd also bringing out the, "I'm not Daredevil" sweater here while incorporating the Iron Fist as Daredevil subplot.

Another possibility for a villain could be some version of Gladiator, playing up the idea of Melvin Potter as a blue-collar crook who Matt in his lawyer persona helps reform after Matt in his Daredevil persona is done beating him up.

Another possibility for a villain could be some version of Gladiator, playing up the idea of Melvin Potter as a blue-collar crook who Matt in his lawyer persona helps reform after Matt in his Daredevil persona is done beating him up.

I think I prefer the psychotic version of Gladiator, which Miller retconned him into during his run. If Gladiator is a just a "blue collar criminal" who is committing armed robbery out of mere greed, he would go to prison for quite a lengthy term, Matt may be able to plead him down a bit, but there wouldn't be much defense for that, it would be an open and shut case. Plus blue collar criminals are a dying breed, bank robbery is in decline, cyber crime is far more profitable, you can make more money making meth in your basement then you could by armed robbery and the sentences for armed robbery are pretty stiff.

It makes Gladiator sympathetic if he is genuinely criminally insane and it would be easier to redeem him if he was criminally insane and later cured, rather then just committing crimes out of greed or malice. I also think a psychotic is more likely to wear saw blades on his arms then a rational criminal would.

Though you may be right before, if they only focus on a few villains in the first season, the season would feel like a movie, rather then a "freak of the week" type show.

One story we are likely to get is some kind of riff on the "Matt Murdock defends White Tiger in court" issue of the Bendis/Maleev Daredevil run. At the NYCC panel, Charlie Cox picked this out as his favourite single Daredevil comic, and cryptically hinted that fans of the issue might want to watch the TV series.

I think I prefer the psychotic version of Gladiator, which Miller retconned him into during his run. If Gladiator is a just a "blue collar criminal" who is committing armed robbery out of mere greed, he would go to prison for quite a lengthy term, Matt may be able to plead him down a bit, but there wouldn't be much defense for that, it would be an open and shut case. Plus blue collar criminals are a dying breed, bank robbery is in decline, cyber crime is far more profitable, you can make more money making meth in your basement then you could by armed robbery and the sentences for armed robbery are pretty stiff.

It makes Gladiator sympathetic if he is genuinely criminally insane and it would be easier to redeem him if he was criminally insane and later cured, rather then just committing crimes out of greed or malice. I also think a psychotic is more likely to wear saw blades on his arms then a rational criminal would.

Though you may be right before, if they only focus on a few villains in the first season, the season would feel like a movie, rather then a "freak of the week" type show.

Yeah, Matt Murdock defending Gladiator is one of my favorite plotlines, at least as a concept (the execution was good, but not great).

One story we are likely to get is some kind of riff on the "Matt Murdock defends White Tiger in court" issue of the Bendis/Maleev Daredevil run. At the NYCC panel, Charlie Cox picked this out as his favourite single Daredevil comic, and cryptically hinted that fans of the issue might want to watch the TV series.

This might be my favorite courtroom story. It would be difficult to pull off this season. For starters, it at least would benefit from having someone to sound off that knows Matt's identity. If not Foggy, like it was in the story, then at least Luke Cage and Danny Rang. Given that, it should be post-Defenders.

A lot of what was laying in the background of the story was whether Matt's ego was killing his chances of acquittal. In other words, was he using the trial as a statement about superheroes. That only works if there are at least rumors that he's Daredevil. This part can be toned down or dropped if needed, but it is something to keep in mind.

It's also worth keeping in mind that not everything is a hint. He was asked about his favorite comic and he said that one. After the Fantastic Four fiasco, I wouldn't be surprised if every showrunner hands their actors a handful of comics and says "here, read these and pick one as your favorite if someone asks you what your favorite is."

The Kingpin and The Owl could be adequate for sustaining the drama for Season 1 on the villain front, particularly if The Hand are also in the mix. One ace up the show's sleeve could be working in The Punisher in an antagonist role too. Beyond that, even if you rule out Bullseye and Elektra, I'd love to see Typhoid Mary or Purple Man (though they might prefer to save him for Jessica Jones).

I would totally love to see The Punisher play as an antagonist initially. He could be this shadow figure throughout several episodes setting up as a rival to Matt but actually killing all the baddies maybe setting him up for an eventual spin off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"