Who fought villains up until 15 years ago in the Marvel Universe?

i'd rather they just announce that the marvel universe just simply ages slower, but time goes by faster.

i'd rather they just announce that the marvel universe just simply ages slower, but time goes by faster.

Well that would be a solution but they won`t. They seem happy with their contradictory, reference every moment they can and try to have their world be ours yet have a sliding timescale and have the world be nothing like ours philosophy. They don`t seem like they are gonna wise up anytime soon.

I think we'd probably all just be happy if the characters had semi established ages right now and all aged at roughly the same rate. Peter Parker has gotten visibly older, but Tony Stark has looked exactly the same age since his introduction. At least Reed with his permanent greying at the temples has the family aspect to approximate his age since he married Sue.

Seems the chronologically older characters need a major physical event to remain the same age as when first written when their co-stars have aged a little into young adulthood. Xavier and Magneto being the obvious examples

Magneto was de-aged a while back, plus I think he's gone through a couple of clone bodies or something since then. Xavier's body has probably been restored somehow as well, but if not, he did spend a while banging the queen of a super-advanced alien civilization. I'm sure they must have conquered aging to a greater degree than humans by now.

Things that would help the timeline concerns in the 616 Universe:

1. Stop tying characters to real-world wars and major events. Instead of saying a character was in `Nam or the Gulf War, make up a war that echoes the sentiment and ideals of the war you're aiming for. If the war didn't happen in the real world, then there's no specific date to attach to it.

2. Stop saying the date in the books. Any time a character makes reference to "2008" or "1999", they're putting themselves in a particular era, and that sort of thing will just have to be ignored or retconned later. Marvel time should never be mentioned out loud; Only inferred by the look and style.

3. Stop tying the books to a real-world President or celebrity for a quick buck. Yes, the Obama issue of Spider-Man sold a crapload, but now it establishes that what's happening is happening in 2009, with President Obama. In 15 years, when Peter Parker is supposed to be 15 years older and isn't, you'll still have this story of a late-20's Peter Parker/Spider-Man interacting with the newly-elected Obama, and that sets his age in stone. I know Marvel is all about "the Marvel Universe is just like OUR world" but really, it's not, and it's stupid to stick these known figures in there when they establish an exact year by their appearance. it would be better if the President and most famous people were fictional (Lila Cheney, Allison Blair, Norman Osborn, Senator Kelly, etc.) and thus aged the same way as Marvel Superheroes.

4. Stop referencing major real-world events. Tying the Marvel Superheroes to 9/11 was a bad decision, because it establishes that Spider-Man was in his late 20s on September 11, 2001. Instead of a specific real-world event, they should have written a fictional event that echoed the real-world one. It's especially a bad decision to use 9/11 because, in a world with superheroes, it's doubtful 9/11 would have happened in exactly the same way.

In short:
President Kennedy, Bush, Clinton, Obama = Bad for Marvel timeline
Anonymous or fictional President = Good for Marvel timeline

9/11, Pearl Harbor = Bad.
Stamford incident, Secret Invasion = Good.

The War in Viet Nam, Gulf War = Bad.
Secret Invasion, Latvian-Wakandan War = Good.

Stephen Colbert, 1970s KISS = Bad.
Lila Cheney, Alison Blair = Good.

Senator Joe McCarthy = Bad.
Senator Robert Kelly = Good.

At Times Square ball-drop: "Happy 2009!" = Bad.
At Times Square ball-drop: "Happy New Year!" = Good

It's pretty simple to disassociate fictional characters from a specific time... But Marvel doesn't seem to put any effort into it.

That's a great plan for making Marvel into, you know, DC.

Which isn't so much necessarily bad as that well, there's already a DC.

Eh, I don't think we really need ripped-from-the-headlines stuff to differentiate Marvel and DC. Both could keep themselves entirely fictional and still be vastly different.

Xavier's body has probably been restored somehow as well, but if not, he did spend a while banging the queen of a super-advanced alien civilization. I'm sure they must have conquered aging to a greater degree than humans by now.
Lilandra cloned him a younger, healthier body, then transferred his mind into it (then he went and got crippled again). As it stands, Charles Xavier is still in his 70s, but has a younger body than he should.

I suppose there's no reason both Charles and Magneto can't be 55ish chronologically as Pietro and Wanda are probably mid 20's, and a lot of parents of 25ish yr olds are 53-55. Physically they could still be that age given their exercise level, but a couple clones and de-aging processes could've turned back the clock a few years to make them closer to 45 physically

I personally see it that if marvel insist that the 60s/70s and 80s stories didn`t happen the way i read them and instead occured in the last 15 years then i want my 60s/70s and 80s eras back even if in retroactive form.

If I can`t have spidey gabbin` with Kennedy then I want retroactive 60s superhero gabbin` with kennedy in his place.

I actually would love that idea.

They should look up all the notorious panels which are now out of continuity because they feature marvel characters in 60s/70s/80s settings or talking to 60s/70s/80s presidents/personalities and swap the marvel characters for retroactive historical superheroes. So instead of the FF meeting the beatles you have some 60s retroactive superhero team. Instead of the avengers meeting Reagen you have retroactive 80s superheroes. So those moments sorta still happened but with retroactive heroes.

I know that might disrupt the old issues but these days marvel disavows all knowledge of any marvel characters meeting ex-presidents or the beatles so we might as well take what we can get.
But why would you let what Marvel tells you bother you? I think we've had this discussion before, but I still don't understand why you can't just have your cake and eat it too.

i don't mind stories to fill in to void because they are finite and intact elements that don't interfere with anything else.

i wouldn't actually mind a memento or pulp fiction comic which started with a heroe's death and works its way backward filling in the void of their journey.

it wouldn't sell well though.

But why would you let what Marvel tells you bother you? I think we've had this discussion before, but I still don't understand why you can't just have your cake and eat it too.

Interesting misuse of a cliche at the end there. lol.

My point is simply that yes if i ignored what marvel says it might be fine but I like the idea of there now being 3 decades worth of heroes who i have never seen. It`s the only upside to marvel`s stupid sliding timescale that i can see.

I suppose there's no reason both Charles and Magneto can't be 55ish chronologically as Pietro and Wanda are probably mid 20's, and a lot of parents of 25ish yr olds are 53-55. Physically they could still be that age given their exercise level, but a couple clones and de-aging processes could've turned back the clock a few years to make them closer to 45 physically
Magneto is tied to the Holocaust.

Anyway...... COULD of 9/11 been of prevented in the MU? It was so unexepcted........Theoreticly I could see Tony speeding to the tower after the first plane hit to help the people inside and Tony seeing the second plane coming and stopped it. But it still would of still happened in a form.
Its not like the DCU were Superman is constantly listening, and were we know that Bats has gotten a world-moniter hingie on the JLA satelite.

It likely woulda been like Ex machina. No Way they could have stopped the first one, but they defiantly woulda stopped the second one.

It likely woulda been like Ex machina. No Way they could have stopped the first one, but they defiantly woulda stopped the second one.

And Northstar and Quicksilver would prob have rescued a lot of the people still trapped in the buildings.

Magneto is tied to the Holocaust.
Bugger, yeah. Good point. Kind of the whole point of this thread huh. Difficult to tie Magneto to any other point in history as his time in the internment camps pretty much definied who he is now. Short of majorly changing his ethnicity, there's not a that can be done to 'slide' him through

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francuz231
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"