Comics who is your all time favorite spidey artist?

My top five, in no particular order;

Ditko
Romita Sr.
Kane
Andru
Buscema

...I didn't like Ditko.

Hurm....Ron Frenz, Erik Larsen, Mark Bagley, John Romita Jr., Gil Kane. Not in any particular order or preference.

I would say it would be a toss up between Mark Bagley, Ditko, or Romita Sr.

Deodato is the man. His rendition of Mary Jane has to be the sexiest, most beautiful i've ever seen.

There was this one issue during the "Skin Deep" arc where Peter goes to see her at the theatre. She's playing a part in a bedroom farce has got this corset thing on. And it's stunning and the writing is spot on too. Peter's reaction to seeing her is exactly what mine would have been. To the point where she has to cover her chest up with her arms! :woot:

Love his artwork on "Sins Past" too. She was so realistically beautiful!

Deodato certainly gets my vote for my all time favorite Mary Jane artist. :up:

I'll have to find more examples, but here is the one you described. Cute. :cwink:

bedrm_farce.jpg

My all-time faves change depending on my mood, but here it is:

1) Ditko

2) Romita Sr.

3) Larsen

4) McFarlane

5) Romita Jr.

I'll have to find more examples, but here is the one you described. Cute. :cwink:

bedrm_farce.jpg

Thank you, thank you, thank you! :yay:

I love this scene.

After I made that post the other day, I went and flicked through my Deodato drawn issues of ASM. And it brought it all back to me just how blown away by his art I was when I read the first issue of "Sins Past". I'd never seen anything like it.

I'm sorry to say that I think the quality of his work dipped slightly towards the end of his run (if you compare the last few issues of "New Avengers" to any issue of "Sins Past" or "Skin Deep" you can definitely tell the difference). But my theory is that with "Sins Past", Mike was ahead of the game with the scripts. He had probably just finished working on the "Sins Past" arc while John Romita Jr.'s last issue was hitting the stands. So he had the advantage of taking his time polishing those issues.

But as no other artist in my comic reading history has ever taken my breath away like Mike Deodato did with ASM #509, he gets my vote as favorite Spider-Man artist of all time. :up: :heart:

Deodato was just drawing Liv Tyler, Jason Priestly and the occasional Robert De Niro in that issue.
I thought whatever about #509 art wise. Romita defined what MJ and PP look like, Deodato's versions looked like he was drawing famous people who he thought looked like PP and MJ instead of actually drawing PP and MJ.

Artists like McFarlane, Larsen, Tim Sale, Romita Jr and the Dodson’s, though exhibiting wildly different styles all just did their interpretation of those characters without resorting to copying similar likenesses in celebrities. Whatever, different strokes and all that. Here is my top 5-

1) Jazzy John
2) Todd McFarlane
3) Humberto Ramos
4) Erik Larsen
5) Mike Zeck

In no specific order:

Romita sr.
Buscema
Wieringo
Cho (I know he only did like 2 issues in that Marvel Knights series but I really liked what I saw).

Thank you, thank you, thank you! :yay:

I love this scene.

After I made that post the other day, I went and flicked through my Deodato drawn issues of ASM. And it brought it all back to me just how blown away by his art I was when I read the first issue of "Sins Past". I'd never seen anything like it.

I'm sorry to say that I think the quality of his work dipped slightly towards the end of his run (if you compare the last few issues of "New Avengers" to any issue of "Sins Past" or "Skin Deep" you can definitely tell the difference). But my theory is that with "Sins Past", Mike was ahead of the game with the scripts. He had probably just finished working on the "Sins Past" arc while John Romita Jr.'s last issue was hitting the stands. So he had the advantage of taking his time polishing those issues.

But as no other artist in my comic reading history has ever taken my breath away like Mike Deodato did with ASM #509, he gets my vote as favorite Spider-Man artist of all time. :up: :heart:
I totally hear you. :yay: LOVE his style.

But, I'm surprized more people haven't mentioned Terry Dodson. Except for his women being WAY over the top (on top) he is one of my favorite contemporary Spidey artists. MKSM helped really hook me on Spidey comics and his art was a big part of that.

We probably should have two categories... past and present.

Like most of you, some tough choices to choose from. I would probably say that Romita Sr gets my nod for fav Spidey artist and then Bagley. Todds' work slowly grew on me. I always thought it was yucky looking when I was smaller, but as I got older, I really applauded and appreciated the amount of detail in his work.

I would also like to throw out Kaare Andrews (as no one else has) as another great. His versatility in style is just awesome!

My top three Spidey artists would be:

Romita Sr
Bagley
Romita Jr

Steve Ditko
John Romita
Mark Bagley
John Romita Jr.

... in that order

Ross Andru
John Romita
Keith Pollard
John Romita Jr.
Ron Frenz
Gil Kane
Sal Buscema

:yay:

1. John Romita
2. John Romita Jr
3. Ron Frenz

Never really liked Ditko's style.

It's hard for me to put them in order. I like different artists for different reasons. So here are my favorites in more or less chronological order:

Steve Ditko
John Romita
Gil Kane
Ross Andru
Ron Frenz
Todd McFarlane
Erik Larsen
Mike Wieringo
John Romita Jr.
Humberto Ramos

looks like so far it's Romita Sr. in the lead with about 27 votes, Romita Jr. and McFarlane with about 16 each, Bagley with 15 votes and Ditko and Larsen with about 8 votes apiece...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"