Who Should Direct The Next Superman Movie?

How many more Superman movies do we really need though?

I don't understand this mentality. Especially from people who say they're Superman fans.

In the past 41 years, the character has only had 6 solo films, and hasn't had his own film in 7 years, but some people act like he shows up as often as Batman or Spider-Man.

I don't understand this mentality. Especially from people who say they're Superman fans.

In the past 41 years, the character has only had 6 solo films, and hasn't had his own film in 7 years, but some people act like he shows up as often as Batman or Spider-Man.
Agreed 100%. For me, I take the approach of Rockerfeller. When he was asked “how many dollars is enough?” He answered “just one more.” That’s how I would feel about Superman films. I could always be content with one more.

I'd be curious to see Jeff Nichols do a Superman film. He was rumored to direct Aquaman at one point.

He is my number one pick followed by closely JJ Abrams. I think Nichols would be a Nolan like pick where is could really do something special with the character.

I just watched the animated versions of All Star Superman and Death of Superman. If we can get those in animated forms, or stories as heartfelt as Morrison’s All Star Superman, or Tom King’s Up in the Sky, why can’t the character be translated better into live action? As much as I like Richard Donner’s movie, I still cannot help but feel like we are yet to get the definitive Superman film in live action.

I'm in the Abrams camp. He's not an inspiring choice but he seems to be a big Superman fan and I think it may be better to go with a safe choice who could be reasonably expected to deliver a solid movie to jump start the franchise.

Yeah, I feel like Abrams is the right guy for an upbeat, character-driven Superman film. And that’s exactly what the character needs. It doesn’t need to be overly ambitious in terms of story; I think we just need a Superman film that allows the hero to really shine. And a film where Brainiac finally ****ing shows up. Abrams could do that in his sleep.

i'm no fan of Abrams but at this point it seems like he is the only one who can make it happen. maybe he can produce it and let McQuarrie handle the writing and directing duty just like they did with MI.

I'd love Aaron Sorkin to do it. I feel like he can do the whole "moralizing great man" thing in his sleep. I don't think he'd ever say yes though.

JA Bayona responded with a Superman GIF when asked what CBM he would choose to direct.

Maybe him with JJ overseeing would be a route to go?

Hot take: I really don't want Abrams involved in any capacity. He is the bland, processed McDonalds drive-thru of modern movie making. Being desperate for a Superman movie does not leave me with so little self-respect as a fan that I'd take a bland, predictable and ultimately disappointing product, just because it has a chance of finally getting to me sooner. I'm really bemused and disappointed that he's such a popular choice on here.

I'm more than content to just wait for someone with an actual vision to come along, and not settle for a workman director.

Last edited:
I can understand and respect that point of view (even though my opinion of Abrams isn’t half as harsh as yours), but frankly, beggars can’t be choosers. Superman has been mishandled time after time after time, and if it takes an entertaining but ultimately un-ambitious film to get him above water, I’ll take it. But ideally we’d have the next Nolan working on this thing.

Last edited:
Yeah, the last time we got a director’s bold vision of a Superman film, we got a movie that was so divisive that WB lost confidence in making another solo film for the foreseeable future. I’d rather get a “bland, safe” director than someone who might derail the franchise again.

Yeah somehow I knew someone would throw out Snyder as an easy rebuttal.

Pretty hard not to when he was given creative control over the last solo Superman film and bungled it. I’m not the biggest Abrams fan either. But I guess I just have “so little self respect as a fan” that I would give a Superman film directed by him a chance.

Eh, I'd risk a bad film if it means avoiding one I'm not gonna care enough to even talk about in future.

Ultimately, whoever they pick , they have to tell a new story and give the audience something new with regards to a Superman film.

After 80 odd years, another retread of the Krypton origin , growing up in Smallville, even having Lex or Zod as the main villain again, would be a mistake.

People know who Superman is and what he stands for. The question is, what is the new story that the filmmakers tell with the collective knowledge that audiences around the world already have about the Superman character.

What's Clark/ Superman's journey or goal in this film, and which new villain best represents an obstacle and threat to that.

You add to that, the role that his extended family,such as Lois and the Daily Planet staff play in Clark's journey or goal in the film.

In other words, go beyond them being just wallpaper or after thoughts, which they've basically been in the past few Superman related films.

If Henry ever got another solo film I'd be very happy to see Joss do it. While his work on JL ain't exactly stellar he got a much more lively performance out of Henry than he gave in MoS and BvS. Not terribly interested in him rebooting it from the ground up though.
Yeah, the last time we got a director’s bold vision of a Superman film, we got a movie that was so divisive that WB lost confidence in making another solo film for the foreseeable future. I’d rather get a “bland, safe” director than someone who might derail the franchise again.
Don't see the point of even making the movie then. The kind of roll of the dice that got us Snyder's films also got us The Dark Knight Trilogy. Superman deserves a visionary.

If they're going to do a new Superman film I want it to be given the same treatment The Batman is getting. A genuine passion project by a great filmmaker with as near carte blanche creative control as you can get on a big studio picture. If they're not going to do that just keep Henry and let him show up as a supporting character in other movies.

Abrams is my top realistic pick. I think he'd give Supes exactly the kickstart he needs right now, before handing it off to another filmmaker. And Superman IS a passion project for him, that much we know.

Brad Bird, Travis Knight, Drew Goddard and Chris McQuarrie are my dream picks, and if not on the first film, would ideally be one of the people Abrams would hand the sequel off to.

Superman doesn't need a "visionary" director to put a new twist on the character and make him relevant (as if an illegal, adopted alien whose main villain is a disreputable, xenophobic billionaire who was once the president of the united states isn't relevant :rolleyes:).
Singer and Snyder both tried to make superman relatable by turning him into a moody mope, heck good ol' Zack went a step further by adding his own unique touch of nihilism onto the character even though he hit the audience on the head with club in MOS on how Superman is the literal/figurative symbol of hope. Ironically they both ended up over using the "I. AM. JESUS!" shtick that Donner used 40 years prior. Yeah I think I'll pass.
It seems to me that WB have tried everything but sticking to the basics, everything but giving us an honest to god fun movie about a likeable and not necessarily relatable character that happens to be the dream and the dreamer

JJ has kick started 3 major franchises successfully but seems to drop the ball on the follow ups so if he is a smart man (I think he is) then he has learned from his mistakes and would shepherd the project into realization then take a step back and let another talented director carry the baton. All I know that from the scripts he wrote - hokey as they may have been - got the character of CK/Superman right and featured plenty of fun and levity and honestly that's what I and most of the fans need right now, get the character back on it's feet first then try to make it soar into the sky with some "visionary revisions".

Great post. Heavily agreed on all accounts.

I think that first they should do a Luthor film with Bryan Cranston. Play up the Donald Trump comparisons, and detail Luthor’s rise to power and eventual presidential election. Then that could directly lead into a Superman reboot.

Cranston would be awesome but honestly I would go for Downy Jr or Tom Hanks. Stark as Lex or America's dad as one of America's best know villains, can you imagine all the eyebrows that would raise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"