Will there be a solo Superman sequel in the DCEU?

I don't want Cyborg Superman. Nor do I want Bizarro. Audiences would think from these that Superman doesn't indeed have a proper rogues gallery, because all he can fight are evil variations on himself or other Kryptonians with similar Superman powers.

I want a Superman film where he's fighting someone completely different like Metallo, Parasite, Mongul, Braniac etc.

I don't want Cyborg Superman. Nor do I want Bizarro. Audiences would think from these that Superman doesn't indeed have a proper rogues gallery, because all he can fight are evil variations on himself or other Kryptonians with similar Superman powers.

I want a Superman film where he's fighting someone completely different like Metallo, Parasite, Mongul, Braniac etc.

That's a great point, if I had to clear my mind and just pick two now I'd go with Brainiac and Mettallo for sure.

I think that WB would like a MoS sequel but their priority is using Cavill (and thus Superman) for JL. I am curious what Cavill’s contract if for as they must have renegotiated it at some point after MOS. Originally he was said to be signed on for 3 films but since JL is two parts they must have extended it to at the very least 4. Cavill has long petitioned for the Bond role and if he’s given the opportunity, I’m sure he’d jump at it. There is also only so much the guy can do. MoS was a reasonable shoot (6 months or so) but BvS was really long (11 months, 203 days of principal cast); he probably doesn’t want to exclusively do DCEU films for the next few years of his career. He could probably do one major production between JL shoots and I’m guessing that won’t be MoS2.

I think that WB would like a MoS sequel but their priority is using Cavill (and thus Superman) for JL. I am curious what Cavill’s contract if for as they must have renegotiated it at some point after MOS. Originally he was said to be signed on for 3 films but since JL is two parts they must have extended it to at the very least 4. Cavill has long petitioned for the Bond role and if he’s given the opportunity, I’m sure he’d jump at it. There is also only so much the guy can do. MoS was a reasonable shoot (6 months or so) but BvS was really long (11 months, 203 days of principal cast); he probably doesn’t want to exclusively do DCEU films for the next few years of his career. He could probably do one major production between JL shoots and I’m guessing that won’t be MoS2.

Thing is though, shooting BvS didn't really take that long it was the long post production they've had. I think Cavill would probably be happy doing a few smaller movies in between (which he'd be able to do). I personally think the Bond ship has sailed. It's just whether he want to keep on playing Superman.

I think, (hell what do I really know) but I get the impression he loves being in the role and this new extended universe, in all his interviews and media he looks enthusiastic, passionate and happy to be Superman (I know all actors are 'keen' in press, it's their job to be, but he genuinely looks happy), we are entering for DC fans, THE most exciting period in it's history, he'll want to be part of that no doubt.

Making one more 'seperate' solo Superman film within the next 5-6 years is a do-able thing, for all concerned to fit in their schedule, with or without Snyder directing.

I know there are loads, I never get the complaints about Superman's rogues gallery, with villains like Lex Luthor, Brainiac, Mongul, Bizarro, Parasite, Livewire, Atomic Skull, Toyman, Lobo, Manchester Black (and the Elite) etc etc there are loads to choose from. Supeman having a poor rogues gallery is one of the biggest myths in comic book history. It's probably made up by people that have only ever seen the movies.

If the next solo superman movie was Superman vs. the Elite I think it would be awesome.

I totally wanna see War World, myself and someone else came up with this idea where Mongul hires a Lobo to ge pr Superman for his War World. Sort of loosely based on 'the Main Man' storyline in the two part episode of Superman TAS.

Reposting the more complete outline I developed based off of your idea as well as some other Mongul related things being thrown in.
Movie opens with superman battling one of his lesser rogues like Atomic skull as well as him doing Clark Kent reporter things as well as protecting the world. The plot kicks in when Superman is lured in and Blind sided by Lobo who was hired by Mongul to hunt down Superman and bring him to the war world to be a gladiator. When Lobo arrives have mongul double cross Lobo and forcing him to compete as well forcing them to work to together to free themselves. While they are detained on the War World Mongul uses Black Mercy's to keep his Gladiators sedated when they become rowdy, with superman being sent to one's clutches allowing for "For the man who has everything" to be adapted. During their escape attempt when it looks like they are about to fail after Mongul personally gets involved and tosses a black mercy on Superman sending him into his dream world and forcing him to tear himself out of the dream causing him to go berserk on Mongul only stopping short of killing him in rage after the dream visages of both his Parents come to him again allowing him to regain composure. In the dreamworld that would be put throughout the film Lois would be his wife and he would have a son with the earth supporting cast in their as well in various roles. Russell Crowe as Jor-el and Lara-el's actress (allowing for us to get to know her a little more even if it is a dream version), with Kevin Costner and Diane Lane as his Kryptonian Aunt and Uncle whom he is very close to.

Last edited:
If the next solo superman movie was Superman vs. the Elite I think it would be awesome.

Sure would :up:

Reposting the more complete outline I developed based off of your idea as well as some other Mongul related things being thrown in.
Movie opens with superman battling one of his lesser rogues like Atomic skull as well as him doing Clark Kent reporter things as well as protecting the world. The plot kicks in when Superman is lured in and Blind sided by Lobo who was hired by Mongul to hunt down Superman and bring him to the war world to be a gladiator. When Lobo arrives have mongul double cross Lobo and forcing him to compete as well forcing them to work to together to free themselves. While they are detained on the War World Mongul uses Black Mercy's to keep his Gladiators sedated when they become rowdy, with superman being sent to one's clutches allowing for "For the man who has everything" to be adapted. During their escape attempt when it looks like they are about to fail after Mongul personally gets involved and tosses a black mercy on Superman sending him into his dream world and forcing him to tear himself out of the dream causing him to go berserk on Mongul only stopping short of killing him in rage after the dream visages of both his Parents come to him again allowing him to regain composure. In the dreamworld that would be put throughout the film Lois would be his wife and he would have a son with the earth supporting cast in their as well in various roles. Russell Crowe as Jor-el and Lara-el's actress (allowing for us to get to know her a little more even if it is a dream version), with Kevin Costner and Diane Lane as his Kryptonian Aunt and Uncle whom he is very close to.

That's a cool idea mate, I didn't realise it was yourself that had developed this one. My only change would be Atomic Skull (save him for the Elite film :cwink:) with Killer Croc (should he survive Suicide Squad). But here's why, although there are a huge crop of Superman villains out there I think given this is a DCEU wouldn't it be cool if some villains crossed over to other movies? This would be a different approach to what Marvel does. So this film would gave the cross pollination (Croc/Batman cameo) as well as developing a new character for a solo (Lobo) without overshadowing our main character.

I think an opening where a masked villain has robbed a bank and killed/maimed people on the run we see Superman come after him. The masked assailant makes his way onto a train, Superman catches him in the inter collecting links of the train (at this point he's demasked) he tells him to give it up but instead Croc breaks the coupling holding the carts together and the train derails. Superman in an epic sequence saves the train.

Killer Croc is then in the sewers thinking he's got away but as he scurried away he bumps into Superman who knocks him out. He takes Croc back to Arkham where Batman is sat on a rooftop, they have a little banter about Superman taking out one of the Bats villains.

We then he into the main crux of the story Clark is happy things are going great then the Main Man Lobo shows up (there'd be a scene earlier where he is hired by a shadowed Mongul to bring Superman to War World) and things turn sour. Then I'd gave it run pretty much as you have although I'm unsure on the Black Mercy idea as it could be abit much for one film. Although just thinking about it it actually could work where they need Superman back in action to save everyone but of course he's incapacitated with the BM. Aye it's even Lobo that ends up saving him after Lois somehow ends ion War World and he has a score to setltle with Mongul himself for double crossing him.

That's a cool idea mate, I didn't realise it was yourself that had developed this one.

I personally didn't come up with it but used the basic idea of lobo working for Mongul to capture Supes put forth by another poster, fleshed it out, and combined it with some other ideas offered such as the black mercy's inclusion.

My only change would be Atomic Skull (save him for the Elite film :cwink:) with Killer Croc (should he survive Suicide Squad). But here's why, although there are a huge crop of Superman villains out there I think given this is a DCEU wouldn't it be cool if some villains crossed over to other movies? This would be a different approach to what Marvel does. So this film would gave the cross pollination (Croc/Batman cameo) as well as developing a new character for a solo (Lobo) without overshadowing our main character.

I think an opening where a masked villain has robbed a bank and killed/maimed people on the run we see Superman come after him. The masked assailant makes his way onto a train, Superman catches him in the inter collecting links of the train (at this point he's demasked) he tells him to give it up but instead Croc breaks the coupling holding the carts together and the train derails. Superman in an epic sequence saves the train.

Killer Croc is then in the sewers thinking he's got away but as he scurried away he bumps into Superman who knocks him out. He takes Croc back to Arkham where Batman is sat on a rooftop, they have a little banter about Superman taking out one of the Bats villains.

While I like the idea with I think it is more important to showcase a member of Superman's underutilized and not well known rogues gallery who wouldn't easily support the role of lead villain in a film but still being a good villain should be represented (and depending on the villain's powers and power levels could be used in a suicide squad film).

We then he into the main crux of the story Clark is happy things are going great then the Main Man Lobo shows up (there'd be a scene earlier where he is hired by a shadowed Mongul to bring Superman to War World) and things turn sour. Then I'd gave it run pretty much as you have although I'm unsure on the Black Mercy idea as it could be abit much for one film. Although just thinking about it it actually could work where they need Superman back in action to save everyone but of course he's incapacitated with the BM. Aye it's even Lobo that ends up saving him after Lois somehow ends ion War World and he has a score to setltle with Mongul himself for double crossing him.

With the Black Mercy I would have Superman going in multiple times throughout the film so that he develops a yearning for that world, almost an addiction (or the black mercy itself could also have addictive properties) as it allows him to live in a perfect world with his earth father being alive as well as him having grown up knowing his biological parents. One of the main reason I included the black mercy fantasy in was that without flashing out of the action back to earth we would never see his earth cast again after 10 to 20 minutes in and the very end when he gets back to earth with the dreamworld allowing us to have those actors/characters even if they aren't the real deal. Another factor is it would be unlikely for there to be 2 films devoted to Mongul in the DCEU so I went with combining to mongul stories so the core elements could be expressed albeit in a new way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"