Will there be a solo Superman sequel in the DCEU?

BH/HHH

You Are My World
Reaction score
We've heard rumours:
- a solo Superman sequel to Man of Steel is on hold,
- we've had rumours that George Miller would be directing a solo Supernan sequel which Miller did deny he was directing but it seems Miller did talk to DC, but did they ask him to do a Man of Steel 2?
- we've also had rumours it is happening with Brainiac and Supergirl
- Why isn't it on the slate?
- is it simply about getting the right director?
- are they waiting to see how BvS performs?
- is it about getting Henry Cavill to sign for more films?

Will there be a solo Superman sequel to Man of Steel? What do you think?

Last edited:
^ In time. I think WB knows that they need a great Superman solo flick. But I'd rather have a Justice League movie :)

I could've sworn I read Cavill saying that they're having trouble coming up with something for another solo Supes? Something along the lines of "he's a tough nut to crack".

He's had multiple stories every month for almost 80 years... surely there's something in there they can use as inspiration...

Guys... Henry will have been on this ride for quite some time now. We have JL1&2 to go through as well. He's been doing this since 2012 or thereabouts. He'll have appeared as Superman 4 times once JL2 drops. That he will have a rest at some point is a given in my mind and once the schedule is figured out they will give us specific info. They aren't going to shelve the character since THEY AREN'T SHELVING THE CHARACTER. 4 film appearances in short order folks. I also think that the recent piece(s) from EW and other places indicates that there is planning going on, on multiple fronts.

Let's remember that the cudgel comment of "well Batman is getting a solo film, and it's already announced ect." is one that has some holes in it. For one, we know Ben and Geof Johns were supposed to deliver the script over the summer, but we don't have confirmation on that yet. We know that they would like Ben to direct it but Ben's comments seem to indicate that's far from a done deal (I personally won't be surprised if Ben DOESN'T direct it but some well respected director he has worked with in the past ends up in the director's chair myself), and there is as of now no locked in production or release date. So... Other than Ben and Geoff's script being presumably finished... The Superman and Batman solo films are currently in the same boat. No attached director, no production start, no release date and likely scheduling issues with it's main star (like I said, I won't raise an eyebrow if Henry wants a break after 4 films).

We are getting a solo film, this is the one thing WB did say, and it's smart in it's way to keep the mystery. They have these two films they can plop down in any quarter of the business year and BOOM, they have a nice juicy chip to lay on the market.

Let's not become like GL fans that are acting like the sky is falling even though they announced a second GL film.

It is kind of curious to me. But we haven't seen a Batman standalone officially get announced yet either. Although in that case everyone knows its coming and that Affleck is sure to direct it. And Batman is the more popular character of the two, or so it is said.

They need to get the other JL members their own films. And there are only so many movies they can pack into a five year span. But I will admit that I would love to see Shazam replaced with MoS 2. I have no interest in the Shazam character whatsoever. (No disrespect intended to any fans that love that character, that's just me.)

I am open to the idea that the slate as it is now is flexible enough to have modifications later, especially after BvS drops. Moving a film for the Bats or Supes solo wouldn't be out of the ordinary given the far reaching time frame we have now for some of the films.

Krypton, I didn't create this thread to cone across as a doom merchant I simply did it to get people talking about a solo Superman sequel given the little rumours we've had of it not happening or happening.

I wanted to wait until I'd had a few responses but I was gonna say that this is in the same boat as the Batman sequel. I for one do think we will get a solo sequel, and I actually think they want the right director for it. I think this Comic Con we may get announcements on both a Batman and Superman solo or possibly even another Batman/Superman film (which I actually think may be more likely).

It will be something that might be on the table if they do end up making a more than respectable haul with BVS. I mean, this would go beyond the pure financials too though. People would have to respond overwhelmingly positive but above all they would have to WANT to see another team up movie with the two based on how well they play off of each other.

But I could see that happening. I think it more likely that they want solo films to fill out the DCEU slate though.

It will be something that might be on the table if they do end up making a more than respectable haul with BVS. I mean, this would go beyond the pure financials too though. People would have to respond overwhelmingly positive but above all they would have to WANT to see another team up movie with the two based on how well they play off of each other.

But I could see that happening. I think it more likely that they want solo films to fill out the DCEU slate though.

Yeah I think BvS would have to be a monster hit both financially and critically for it to happen over a Batman solo movie. But I think it's very possible.

I would love that in all honesty, but I would want a Superman solo first.

I would think so. I mean, Batman is getting another trilogy. I'd assume Man of Steel 2 would be a thing. Though it does feel like Superman's stories may involve the JL characters due to his villains being something the Justice League would take on. It grounds Superman. You could argue it nerfs him, but it helps make the other characters interesting.

You know that there has been absolutely NO WORD, about Batman getting a trilogy yet, right? Would I like that? Yeah, Would WB like that? Hell yeah, of course... But that is right now pure fan enthusiasm fueled speculation.

No the trilogy is speculation and infact I'd say a Batman trilogy is actually unlikely given Affleck's age. That would mean BvS, Batman trilogy, SS (cameo) and 2 Justice League films (I'd say there'd likely be more JL movies than a Batman trilogy).

Honestly though when it comes to Superman I'd take another Batman/Superman film, a Superman solo and 2 JL films. That would be very sufficient, infact I'd like to see Superman maybe make a cameo in one of the other DCEU films aswell.

I've even said before I wouldn't mind them using Supermans films to also push other characters for their own solo films like Lobo who wouldn't overshadow a Superman film in that he'd take the story away from Superman because he could slot right in as a villain.

Yes there will be a MoS sequel and I'm willing to bet a lot of details have been hammered out. One of the criticisms lobbed at WB over the years is that they don't trust their DC IPs outside Superman and Batman....aannouncing this slate without dating the next Batman and Superman flicks gives the spotlight to these other characters

Yes there will be a MoS sequel and I'm willing to bet a lot of details have been hammered out. One of the criticisms lobbed at WB over the years is that they don't trust their DC IPs outside Superman and Batman....aannouncing this slate without dating the next Batman and Superman flicks gives the spotlight to these other characters

you reckon? That's confidence.

When WB announced their DC slate.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...e#.VQMg2Y5J1qD

And, in a massive expansion of the Studio’s DC Entertainment-branded content, Warner Bros. Pictures and New Line Cinema will release a slate of at least 10 movies—as well as stand-alone Batman and Superman films—from 2016 through 2020 that expands this prized universe of characters:

• “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” directed by Zack Snyder (2016)
  • “Suicide Squad,” directed by David Ayer (2016)
  • “Wonder Woman,” starring Gal Gadot (2017)
  • “Justice League Part One,” directed by Zack Snyder, with Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill and Amy Adams reprising their roles (2017)
  • “The Flash,” starring Ezra Miller (2018)
  • “Aquaman,” starring Jason Momoa (2018)
  • “Shazam” (2019)
  • “Justice League Part Two,” directed by Zack Snyder (2019)
  • “Cyborg,” starring Ray Fisher (2020)
  • “Green Lantern” (2020)

I certainly hope we are getting another solo movie. I am excited about the others but I want to see more from the Superman world as well.

Especially villains like Brainiac, Bizarro and Parasite and stories like For Tomorrow and plenty of others.

I certainly hope we are getting another solo movie. I am excited about the others but I want to see more from the Superman world as well.

Especially villains like Brainiac, Bizarro and Parasite and stories like For Tomorrow and plenty of others.

That's just it for me, the movies haven't even scratched the surface when it comes to Superman's villain. I long to see Brainiac, Mettallo, Parasite and others in live action.

That's just it for me, the movies haven't even scratched the surface when it comes to Superman's villain. I long to see Brainiac, Mettallo, Parasite and others in live action.

Yep, there are plenty of villains they can use, even less prominent ones left ke Gog, Ruin, Preus and Black Rock. There are so many places they can go.

I suspect moving forward that we'll be seeing a lot of heroes crossing into other hero's films.

So I wouldn't expect a solo Superman in the strictest sense.

I'm sure it's on the horizon, but you have to remember, the events of Justice League still have to happen. They may not have one planned simply because they don't know what it's going to be yet.

Yep, there are plenty of villains they can use, even less prominent ones left ke Gog, Ruin, Preus and Black Rock. There are so many places they can go.

I know there are loads, I never get the complaints about Superman's rogues gallery, with villains like Lex Luthor, Brainiac, Mongul, Bizarro, Parasite, Livewire, Atomic Skull, Toyman, Lobo, Manchester Black (and the Elite) etc etc there are loads to choose from. Supeman having a poor rogues gallery is one of the biggest myths in comic book history. It's probably made up by people that have only ever seen the movies.

I suspect moving forward that we'll be seeing a lot of heroes crossing into other hero's films.

So I wouldn't expect a solo Superman in the strictest sense.

I'm sure it's on the horizon, but you have to remember, the events of Justice League still have to happen. They may not have one planned simply because they don't know what it's going to be yet.

I actually agre, maybe I should have said Superman starring as the lead. I even think Batman's next film will probably be gate crashed, rumours of Deadshot but if not I could totally see Nightwing or someone else.

You make a great point about the events of Justice League. What I would give to get a good look at that wall of details on the DCEU in Snyder's workshop.

Last edited:
I know there are loads, I never get the complaints about Superman's rogues gallery, with villains like Lex Luthor, Brainiac, Mongul, Bizarro, Parasite, Livewire, Atomic Skull, Toyman, etc etc there are loads to choose from.

Wow yeah, totally forgot about Mongul, that and War World would make a superb movie. We could see The Eradicator then as well.

Inevitably there will be. It's Superman. After Batman he's DC's second most profitable character movie wise.

Wow yeah, totally forgot about Mongul, that and War World would make a superb movie. We could see The Eradicator then as well.

I totally wanna see War World, myself and someone else came up with this idea where Mongul hires a Lobo to ge pr Superman for his War World. Sort of loosely based on 'the Main Man' storyline in the two part episode of Superman TAS.

The Eradicator would be a great villain in the Death of Suoerman storyline, a much better idea than Cyborg Superman IMO.

I totally wanna see War World, myself and someone else came up with this idea where Mongul hires a Lobo to ge pr Superman for his War World. Sort of loosely based on 'the Main Man' storyline in the two part episode of Superman TAS.

The Eradicator would be a great villain in the Death of Suoerman storyline, a much better idea than Cyborg Superman IMO.

That would be a good way to introduce Lobo. God I forgot about Cyborg Superman as well, how could I when Supergirl is using the Hank Henshaw name! I like Cyborg personally, and Eradictor would only start out as a villain before becoming an ally if they follow the comics.

That would be a good way to introduce Lobo. God I forgot about Cyborg Superman as well, how could I when Supergirl is using the Hank Henshaw name! I like Cyborg personally, and Eradictor would only start out as a villain before becoming an ally if they follow the comics.

I was never a fan of CS, if you read the Return of Superman there's some major inconstancies that can't really be explained with that character. I think they should have made the Eradicator the villain of that story personally. But that's just me. :woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"