Why all the hate for "Die Another Day"?

Kevin Roegele said:
The main weakness of Nemesis is that it is slooooooow. Scenes that should take two minutes take ten.

Funny, I always considered Nemesis weak because it is an atypical Star Trek with no regards to the srries consistency and they rush too many things. It is also terribly small scale for a movie: the Romulan Senate looks like a town hall (and are disposed of way too easily) and it seems that the Enterprise is the only starship they is in the galaxy.

Everyman said:
Funny, I always considered Nemesis weak because it is an atypical Star Trek with no regards to the srries consistency and they rush too many things. It is also terribly small scale for a movie: the Romulan Senate looks like a town hall (and are disposed of way too easily) and it seems that the Enterprise is the only starship they is in the galaxy.

It's small scale and it's slow. The Next Generation movies are curiously unambitious, but Nemesis especially so.

Kevin Roegele said:
It's small scale and it's slow. The Next Generation movies are curiously unambitious, but Nemesis especially so.

I think that TNG was better for a tv series format. It had too many characters and a too long run on tv and it made the transition on the big screen difficult. IMO it simply didn't work, except with First Cotnact, and even that one was inferior to the series.

SUPERBENITEZ said:
Bond surfs : Nuff said. :down

I don't see that as a problem in itself. What hasn't Bond done over the course of 20 films? He bunjee jumped (GoldenEye), ski-dived (Tomorrow Never Dies), snow-boarded (A View to a Kill), rock-climbed (For Your Eyes Only), water-skied (Licence to Kill).....he's always done extreme sports to the extreme.

The surfing isn't a porblem of concept, it's a problem of execution.

Kevin Roegele said:
I don't see that as a problem in itself. What hasn't Bond done over the course of 20 films? He bunjee jumped (GoldenEye), ski-dived (Tomorrow Never Dies), snow-boarded (A View to a Kill), rock-climbed (For Your Eyes Only), water-skied (Licence to Kill).....he's always done extreme sports to the extreme.

The surfing isn't a porblem of concept, it's a problem of execution.

Yup, he's done al of those things. But this was the first time that it just felt so forced.
It's like they where thinking; "how can we make Bond seem really cool and hip? How do we connect to a younger audience? I know! Let's have him surf!!"

No cameos from Sean Connery, George Lazenby, Roger Moore and Timothy Dalton.

MLX said:
No cameos from Sean Connery, George Lazenby, Roger Moore and Timothy Dalton.

WHy? There should have been? I think it would have made the movie even worst.

Everyman said:
WHy? There should have been? I think it would have made the movie even worst.

Yeah, it would immedietly bring the suspension of disbelief crashing down. There were enough scenes in DAD to do that as it was.

Kevin Roegele said:
Yeah, it would immedietly bring the suspension of disbelief crashing down. There were enough scenes in DAD to do that as it was.

What are you talking about? I thought it was the most realistic and grounded Bond film to date.
icon12.gif

SUPERBENITEZ said:
What are you talking about? I thought it was the most realistic and grounded Bond film to date.
icon12.gif

You're right - it was almost a documentary.

A documentary in how not to make a motion picture.

Kevin Roegele said:
You're right - it was almost a documentary.

A documentary in how not to make a motion picture.

On the plus side, it's quite an efficient videogame demo.

Everyman said:
On the plus side, it's quite an efficient videogame demo.

True, but a PlayStation One video game from about 1997.

D'Artagnan said:
True, but a PlayStation One video game from about 1997.

...And even if it was a modern one, you don't go to a movie to watch a videogame demo, but some kind of story.

And there is always something else than bugged me in DAD: why did Bond have this huge belly after a year and a half in jail? Was the food at the cafeteria so good? He sems that even though they tortured him, they fed him quite well.

Everyman said:
...And even if it was a modern one, you don't go to a movie to watch a videogame demo, but some kind of story.

And there is always something else than bugged me in DAD: why did Bond have this huge belly after a year and a half in jail? Was the food at the cafeteria so good? He sems that even though they tortured him, they fed him quite well.

I'm watching Goldfinger right now and it's shameful that Die Another Day is part of the same series. Ironic how, at the time of release, high-brow critics considered Goldfinger (and the 60's Bond movies) crude and violent. By today's standards it's classy and elegant.

die another day hands down worst bond movie ever!....feel bad for pierce

Kevin Roegele said:
I'm watching Goldfinger right now and it's shameful that Die Another Day is part of the same series. Ironic how, at the time of release, high-brow critics considered Goldfinger (and the 60's Bond movies) crude and violent. By today's standards it's classy and elegant.

Hmmm....maybe in 30 years time people will think DAD was a misunderstood masterpiece. .

.................Nah.

SUPERBENITEZ said:
Hmmm....maybe in 30 years time people will think DAD was a misunderstood masterpiece. .

.................Nah.
Or some people will just overlook its flaws like people do with Diamonds are Forever and Moonraker.

There will be a lot of flaws to overlook, more than Moonraker or DAF (which are considered Moore's worst and Connery's worst by most people).

Everyman said:
There will be a lot of flaws to overlook, more than Moonraker or DAF (which are considered Moore's worst and Connery's worst by most people).
Nah. Moonraker still comes out worse to me.

The characters were a bit too cartoony in DAD. Jinx is sassy, she's a bad girl, that's her entire character. Miranda Frost is cold, that's pretty much it. Graves is arrogant with a short-fuse. And they act like it's a live-action version of a cartoon. A lot of Bond movies don't have time to create deep characters, but most of them are not played in the same, almost pantomime way as those in DAD.

Jinx in DAD is just a gimmick. She is supposed to be "Bond's female equal" and that's it, it doesn't mean much by itself, especially since Berry was unbelievable as a spy. Miranda Frost has the flimsiest motivations ever and his basically a Bond lolita. Another unbelievable spy. And Graves, don,t let me start on him... He is Caligulaminus (from the first Asterix comic book).

D'Artagnan said:
Yes. I'd agree with this. Many make Moonraker to be some kid of cheap Star Wars/sci-fi cash-in, whereas actually the space station and laser guns only come in at the finale. I also found Lois Chiles to be the strongest and most resourceful Bond girl so far. If perhaps not the most alluring.

Not to mention she had the BEST Bond-Girl name. :up:

When I first watched DAD, there was a time when I liked the Graves character; only to nfind out that everything I liked was a lie. They had the concept of a villain who is not publically a villain (As with Stromberg, Drax and Zorin) which I like, but making him new money and a media sensation meant Bond could not have destroyed him publically; expecially with Bond discreditted as he is. I guess this approached wouldn't have tied in with the electronic shoulderpads the character was destined to wear!......

I still can't understand how Graves faked his death as Moon, built himself his double identity (based on james Bond, who met him for like 5 minutes), became immensely rich, gained a reputaiton as philantropist and then, voilà, gets knighted, within a year and a half. It just didn,t make sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"