Why Can't DC Get it right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol... but yea. I see what you're saying. I think DC actualy has a lot more, viable characters/stories that can be made into live action series/movies than Marvel.

Doubt it.

If you count more stories like Losers then yeah DC have more of them; good for comics but may not be so as movies.

But for sheer number of mainstream superpowered characters, Marvel still has advantage. Let's see the analog game of which properties are more suited for movie treatment? Dr Strange against Dr Fate? Strange. Black Panther against Mr Terrific? BP. Hank Pym against Ray Palmer? Ant Man. Namor against Aquaman? Namor. Iron Fist/Shang Chi vs Richard Dragon/Bronze Tiger? The Marvel dudes.

That's the reason why WB are still doing the Batman/Superman routine, and now maybe join by GL and the other 2 big 5. While Marvel have actually done something with their the Big 6 (Spiderman, Wolverine, Iron Man, Thor, Captain A, Hulk) plus their B and C-listers movies are also upcoming fast.

Last edited:
LET'S FACE IT: IF I was Joe Public, I would think both Namor and Aquaman were lame. Namor would due to his speedos.

Namor doesn't wear speedos anymore. He's going commando under his black costume. :oldrazz:

Why Namor to me is better than Aquaman? He has one pretty defining characterization. I could live without the ankle wing for the live action movie, but his rage and Romulan-like sneakiness - keep it intact.

I was in charge of Marvel, I would transform him into an ewok.

Last edited:
I'd transform him into a flightless investment banker with a fear of drowning and a fire fetish.

Doubt it.

If you count more stories like Losers then yeah DC have more of them; good for comics but may not be so as movies.

But for sheer number of mainstream superpowered characters, Marvel still has advantage. Let's see the analog game of which properties are more suited for movie treatment? Dr Strange against Dr Fate? Strange. Black Panther against Mr Terrific? BP. Hank Pym against Ray Palmer? Ant Man. Namor against Aquaman? Namor. Iron Fist/Shang Chi vs Richard Dragon/Bronze Tiger? The Marvel dudes.

That's the reason why WB are still doing the Batman/Superman routine, and now maybe join by GL and the other 2 big 5. While Marvel have actually done something with their the Big 6 (Spiderman, Wolverine, Iron Man, Thor, Captain A, Hulk) plus their B and C-listers movies are also upcoming fast.

Well that's just my opinion.
Could be biased due to my slight lean towards DC than Marvel.
But (to me) it seems like DC has more solo hero characters that stand alone to make the shift to movies, whereas (a lot of) Marvel's characters are part of a collective.

For example:
4 out of your Big 6 are part of the Avengers.
And we didn't even get a Wolverine movie until after 3 X-Men movies.

Again, I'm not arguing who's better, or anything.
I'm just saying DC has a lot of solo-hero characters that haven't gotten a shot at their own movie yet like Flash for instance.

LET'S FACE IT: IF I was Joe Public, I would think both Namor and Aquaman were lame. Namor would due to his speedos.

The speedos is what would make him intimidating.

"He's got the balls to fight us in speedos" :|
'RUN!!!!'

Well that's just my opinion.
Could be biased due to my slight lean towards DC than Marvel.
But (to me) it seems like DC has more solo hero characters that stand alone to make the shift to movies, whereas (a lot of) Marvel's characters are part of a collective.

For example:
4 out of your Big 6 are part of the Avengers.
And we didn't even get a Wolverine movie until after 3 X-Men movies.

Again, I'm not arguing who's better, or anything.
I'm just saying DC has a lot of solo-hero characters that haven't gotten a shot at their own movie yet like Flash for instance.

But the evidences are still standing - Marvel have big 6 that can be made into *solo* movies, and they either have made or have been in the process in realizing their big 6 in *solo* movies. DC only has 3/5, while it's pretty much confirmed the other 2/5 will be made later.

Yes, we're not arguing on what's better. But while DC has more varied properties coming from Vertigo and Wildstorm, Marvel has a lot more solo superhero movies ideas. Not convinced? Check the Marvel films forum. They're talking about Runaways (certainly being made), Dr Strange, Black Panther, Ant Man, Iron Fist, Namor, F4 reboot, Ghost Rider 2, Daredevil, Moon Knight, Silver Surfer, Luke Cage and Nova/GOG. Can't beat Marvel film ideas on sheer superhero variety... yet.

this is definitely not a "who's better" discussion...it's more of a "why DC doesn't seem to be moving as fast as Marvel" discussion

I love Moon Knight, but you make his movie and I'm going to have to repeatedly inform people that it's not just a rip-off of Batman, then more people are going to repeat that same crap, then more people. Before you know it, I'm kneeling covered in blood surrounded by hundreds of warm corpses with police telling me to come out quietly...

Not a good thing...

I think a direct to video animated Moon Knight movie would do well, just my opinion

I think a direct to video animated Moon Knight movie would do well, just my opinion
I agree.

Or possibly a TV series.

Feature-length movie I don't think he has the cred to pull off. Needs something smaller, he has a cult following and his audience will find him in a DTV film, you aren't going to do a whole lot better throwing considerably more money at the product.

But the evidences are still standing - Marvel have big 6 that can be made into *solo* movies, and they either have made or have been in the process in realizing their big 6 in *solo* movies. DC only has 3/5, while it's pretty much confirmed the other 2/5 will be made later.

Yes, we're not arguing on what's better. But while DC has more varied properties coming from Vertigo and Wildstorm, Marvel has a lot more solo superhero movies ideas. Not convinced? Check the Marvel films forum. They're talking about Runaways (certainly being made), Dr Strange, Black Panther, Ant Man, Iron Fist, Namor, F4 reboot, Ghost Rider 2, Daredevil, Moon Knight, Silver Surfer, Luke Cage and Nova/GOG. Can't beat Marvel film ideas on sheer superhero variety... yet.
Just because they're talking about them doesn't mean they'll be good or even get made. As evidenced by Green Lantern and Flash, DC is waiting for the right writers/pitch to come along to do so. Whereas Marvel gets the movie rolling first, then looks for the creative team. They're both good companies, however they do have different methods.

If Moon Knight actually uses his powers, then people would be able to distinguish the two. But due to his costume, "moon knight mobile" and crescents he does appear like a Batman rip off. But he's stronger on certain phases of the moon, his psycotic ways.....just depends on how he's developed. And yeah Theshah.....I actually Marvel has more to bring to the table as far as movies than DC but that's all because of how the WB only seems to market the big two. GL will do great at the BO(I hope)but if it doesn't.....let's just be honest, WB hasn't done a great job at marketing him. He's finally getting his due now with blackest night and brightest day, not to mention finally getting his own cartoon.....just saying.

Moon Knight mobile? You mean the chopper?

They also haven't shown him as being stronger in different phases of the moon since Huston's the Bottom led to the re-emergence of the character and I'm pretty sure Hurwitz hasn't made mention of it since then either.

The personality issues and conflicts to me are paramount, though...

Last edited:
Just because they're talking about them doesn't mean they'll be good or even get made. As evidenced by Green Lantern and Flash, DC is waiting for the right writers/pitch to come along to do so. Whereas Marvel gets the movie rolling first, then looks for the creative team. They're both good companies, however they do have different methods.

I'm sure they're both. I was just responding to TheShah assertion's that Marvel has less solo movies properties when standing evidences said otherwise. Marvel has always have more solo movies properties since Blade, and they're varied than just the usual A-list sequels.

Moon Knight mobile? You mean the chopper?

They also haven't shown him as being stronger in different phases of the moon since Huston's the Bottom led to the re-emergence of the character and I'm pretty sure Hurwitz hasn't made mention of it since then either.

The personality issues and conflicts to me are paramount, though...

I didn't know what he called it hence my putting it in quotation marks. And MK was originally a Werewolf by Night nemesis, hence his powers being moon related. Since he has reemerged, he hasn't had his powers, making him more Batman like that ever but I'd count his history since the 70's to be more reliable than the past 5 years. Superstrength based on cycles of the moon is one of his powers.

Actually I like the last 5 years treatment of MK better than the decades past. Spector/Grant/Lockley/whatever he wants to call himself now don't rely his strength of his "period" moment, but by his erratic tactic and underworld/street knowledge. Yeah now he's more like Batman, but I see him as a more blue collar no-socialite moonlighting stuff wealthy guy in a suit. He doesn't have company (leave that to Stark, Rand, and Taylor of Night Thrasher) but where does he get the money? Probably from financial or mercenary dealings.

Things that differentiate MK from Batman:
- Less emphasis on martial arts, but from tools
- More "Matches Malone" than "Bruce Wayne"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member