Why Can't DC Get it right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but you might as well just be a Batman fan, which there is nothing wrong with that but I just felt like MK is a different character. If he is going to be basically Marvel's Batman, then Jack the Werewolf doesn't stand a chance, though I don't really know his powers, all I know is he's a huge freakin werewolf and Batman doesn't have many problems taking down strong animals.

I didn't know what he called it hence my putting it in quotation marks. And MK was originally a Werewolf by Night nemesis, hence his powers being moon related. Since he has reemerged, he hasn't had his powers, making him more Batman like that ever but I'd count his history since the 70's to be more reliable than the past 5 years. Superstrength based on cycles of the moon is one of his powers.
Ahhh... now we're in my territory...

He was originally meant to be the antagonist in a Werewolf By Night two-parter, but by the second part the pair had conquored MK's employers. (It was later ret-conned from being his origin to be the case that MK had long been keeping an eye on their crooked wheelings-and-dealings and infiltrated them to bring them down from the inside).

The recent Huston/Hurwitz years haven't denied him previously having increased strength by the phases of the moon (which was cleverly played for years as possibly being all in Spector's own head or the mystical Khonshu influence - One of the best parts of the series... that it was left open to interpretation). Huston just said that his God had left him and there has never been anything to suggest that this changed back.
Actually I like the last 5 years treatment of MK better than the decades past. Spector/Grant/Lockley/whatever he wants to call himself now don't rely his strength of his "period" moment, but by his erratic tactic and underworld/street knowledge. Yeah now he's more like Batman, but I see him as a more blue collar no-socialite moonlighting stuff wealthy guy in a suit. He doesn't have company (leave that to Stark, Rand, and Taylor of Night Thrasher) but where does he get the money? Probably from financial or mercenary dealings.

Things that differentiate MK from Batman:
- Less emphasis on martial arts, but from tools
- More "Matches Malone" than "Bruce Wayne"
Hurwitz has made him more about tools which, to be honest, I don't particularly like. There's been a few things he's done that I haven't liked, I think he's made Marlene a weaker character as well.

He differs in other key ways as well:
Bruce Wayne's motivation is the symbolic death of his own parents, which have led to his crusade against crime for his own vengeful reasons as well as hoping to prevent the same thing from happening to anyone else.
Spector however is more redemptive, looking to make up for past transgressions in his previous life as a mercenary/soldier of fortune.

One major point that people who speak out against Bats in his own world is "We don't know who's more crazy, the Batman or the people he fights."
Moon Knight takes this to the next level where the reader himself couldn't honestly answer that question, and quite frequently he's CRAZIER than the people he takes down, but still trying to hold tight his moral compass.

That's just a few key ones...

are you the type of person who would get upset because a Moon Knight action figure was the wrong shade of silver??

No... but it does mildly bother me that he'd change his suit to black to suit Secret Avengers when it contradicts Huston's "a priest doesn't change the colours of his vestments to suit himself" and the reasoning for him to make a target of himself by night...

I like the reason given in the relaunch....he wears the silver/white/moonlight color "because I want them to see me coming"

Ahhh... now we're in my territory...

He was originally meant to be the antagonist in a Werewolf By Night two-parter, but by the second part the pair had conquored MK's employers. (It was later ret-conned from being his origin to be the case that MK had long been keeping an eye on their crooked wheelings-and-dealings and infiltrated them to bring them down from the inside).

The recent Huston/Hurwitz years haven't denied him previously having increased strength by the phases of the moon (which was cleverly played for years as possibly being all in Spector's own head or the mystical Khonshu influence - One of the best parts of the series... that it was left open to interpretation). Huston just said that his God had left him and there has never been anything to suggest that this changed back.

I liked Huston's run on MK and how he makes you wonder if he's really seeing these things or if he's really crazy. But at the same time, in his past comics, he has shown feats of strength. I don't see him beating the Hulk in a arm wrestling contest but maybe being able to lift a ton or two is more plausible. But again, I think when Marc was created, he was Batman like but the phases of the moon thing was there to put some difference between he and Bats. Now he's basically a crazy Batman.

Yeah, that was a two-pronged reason Huston came up with - Priest not changing his vestments to suit himself and wears it so they can see him coming... hands shake so much they couldn't shoot the moon.

He's got this carbonadium armoured suit at the moment which he's used to hold up a building and also supported a whole heap of weight to get the secret Avengers to safety a couple issues back, but the strength was one of those things I liked to think could be real or in his head... I'm also not a big fan of the increasingly ridiculous high-tech gear he has for rare scenarios that Hurwitz had been giving him and Brubaker's been running with...

I view Steven Grant as wealthy, but not in the Danny Rand vicinity, yet he's been coming up with the coin for some crazy gear and only just bought Grant Mansion back (in the Shadowland tie-in).

Anyway, in an attempt to try and get this topic back on track... he doesn't need a feature length box-office film. He's a cult character that even I as a fan can see will have a hard time coming out from Bats' shadow. He has a small and loyal following though, so if you gave him a DTV movie, we will find it and we will buy it.

I agree.

Or possibly a TV series.

Feature-length movie I don't think he has the cred to pull off. Needs something smaller, he has a cult following and his audience will find him in a DTV film, you aren't going to do a whole lot better throwing considerably more money at the product.

Problem with TV series is that it requires a huge investment from the network.
To dedicate a time slot, taking away from other projects, and comitting to that slot for x-number of episodes.
And a TV take times to grow, get rating,s gather an audience, etc.
A TV series is a long term thing, unlike a straight to DVD film which is a one shot, and grows and generates revenue over time, with no money being put into it after the initial production + marketing.

I'm sure they're both. I was just responding to TheShah assertion's that Marvel has less solo movies properties when standing evidences said otherwise. Marvel has always have more solo movies properties since Blade, and they're varied than just the usual A-list sequels.

Yea, I guess you're right.
I would just like to see them on equel footing in terms of the amount of film property both DC and Marvel have.

Again, like I said, since I'm DC biased... it's just my own personal want to see more mainstream DC guys (and/or gals) on screen. lol.

Yea, I guess you're right.
I would just like to see them on equel footing in terms of the amount of film property both DC and Marvel have.

Again, like I said, since I'm DC biased... it's just my own personal want to see more mainstream DC guys (and/or gals) on screen. lol.

It's okay mate. :word:
I'd like to see both being successful too.

It will be interesting to see, now WB wants to ramp up their stable of DC character in multiple areas, how the people here react that vehemently defended DC for not flooding the market. Will it be ignored? What if they equal Marvel in the coming years on "SuperHero" output? Will they all adopt a different view?

I personnally hope they're both successful, it would mean more of what I want.

In the mean time though, I would love to put it in the faces of the DC droid's that took a hostile angle to this thread. You know the ones, they have been as easy to point out as night/day.

May we get to see as many of our hero's, done well. on TV as well as on the Silver screen for years to come! I'll take D2DVD as well as animated projects too! Bring on the good stuff!

"Why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends?"-War

It will be interesting to see, now WB wants to ramp up their stable of DC character in multiple areas, how the people here react that vehemently defended DC for not flooding the market. Will it be ignored? What if they equal Marvel in the coming years on "SuperHero" output? Will they all adopt a different view?

We already know we're getting Batman 3, Superman Reboot and GL sequel (the last one stupid IMO at this stage) the only other serious adaptation I can see being confirmed is Flash, WW I think will get overlooked once again and the likes of Aquaman won't come within a bulls roar of getting green lit. So really, I don't think we're going to see a flood of films like Marvel did, in fact I'll put money on it that all we're really going to get is confirmation of what we pretty much already know. I think anyone expecting some sort of Marvel like announcement leading up to a JL film is thinking a bit wishfully. As I've said before, WB have got more than Superheroes they can turn to.

Harry Potter franchise is coming to an end, Hobbit is still not in a stage to get going, Nolan's Batman 3 will be the last of his Bat films, Superman at moment is just one stand alone movie, on Television side, Smallville will end soon after its last season.

So, apart from GL which still has to prove itself at the B.O. WB is having nothing spectacular planned out for 2013 and beyond.

All this and the fact that Marvel will probably make lots of cash and saturate the market with B- lister Superheros.

They would be looking to some money making franchises, so they will at lest try to get Flash and WW going, and a JL movie if these two prove successful.

Last edited:
People need to stop assuming franchises are exclusive to superheroes and that it's the only way to make cash. There are plenty of other avenues WB can go down, hell Inception's made nearly $800 Million dollars, and it's an original piece. WB unlike Marvel are not bound by superheroes.

Last edited:
Agreed JMC....which is my point. It's not DC that's the problem, it's the WB. I think if WB was smart, they'd lease out their heroes like Marvel did, of heroes they have no plans to making movies out of, like Booster Gold, to other studios. It's the only way because I can't see WB making a series of movies like Marvel did leading up to a JLA movie, especially since Nolan doesn't want it.

Of the films that Marvel has put out, only two or three have been really successful. I do not know if just throwing out characters in films is going to turn out to be profitable and DC doesn't have as many properties as Marvel (which boasts over 5,000). It might be a better move to go slow and make sure you get it right with what you have.

Of the films that Marvel has put out, only two or three have been really successful. I do not know if just throwing out characters in films is going to turn out to be profitable and DC doesn't have as many properties as Marvel (which boasts over 5,000). It might be a better move to go slow and make sure you get it right with what you have.

the only ones that have lost money have been Elektra and maybe one other....even mediocre ones like WarZone made some coin

the only ones that have lost money have been Elektra and maybe one other....even mediocre ones like WarZone made some coin

Agreed! I have no clue where dude got his info from. As stated, with the exception of Elektra, Marvel movies tend to make their budget back and then some.

WarZone lost money, so I made a mistake on that one...budgeted for 35 mil, made 10 mil gross

Elektra did make money....budgeted for 43 mil, made 56 mil gross revenue

Ghost Rider....budgeted at 110....grossed 228 mil

these 3 films are typically seen as Marvels "underperformers"

and then there is.....

Catwoman - budgeted for 102 mil, grossed 82

Dang it BL! I blindedly followed you! :argh:

But don't forget about Steel and Jonah Hex. :o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts