Why do people say Zack Snyder doesn’t respect comics?

It's not the length that's the issue. It's that Snyder's Ultimate BvS and a version of his JL would somehow be these $1B movies that would make up for their high production costs. While BvS Ultimate edition fixes some plot issues, the main narrative remains the same. It wasn't 30 minutes of jam packed action that was cut.

Snyders movies don't appear to to have mass market appear despite "250M views in China" something that wasn't duplicated int he states where CBM usually make at least 50% of it's tickets. Plus, outside some twitter and youtube videos, it doesn't appear many traditional geek news outlets ran with this story. If there really was this massive desire for this film, WB would move forward with at least JL2.

This is my first time reading this interview. It really seems like the "perversely dark" themes of BvS came from the WB execs (with Terrio and Snyder trying to salvage their ideas). What WB did to the DC brand is absurd. Really wish Amazon or some other megalocorp could just buy the IP and get this over with.

Terrio: I removed the punch [of Lois], for one thing. Just think about the optics of that.

OMG.

I think Snyder has great respect for the comics. I just don't know that he fully grasps the nuance on what made the arcs he tries to bring to the screen special, other than the visual level.

If you "respect" something but don't understand it, than you don't actually respect it at all. Respect entails putting in the effort and honesty to understand it.

Snyders extra 30min of BvS didn't make the film anymore exciting. It wouldn't have changed the general publics opinion. Even i was falling asleep in the theater and i was HYPED for the film

I don’t agree. I’d be very curious to see how the DCEU would be doing if WB had released Snyder’s cut of BVS and JL, and Ayer’s cut of SS. It’s all hypothetical but I think the DCEU would have been successful. It was that string of failures that doomed the DCEU. If the first impression had been better, audiences would be more receptive.

I don’t agree. I’d be very curious to see how the DCEU would be doing if WB had released Snyder’s cut of BVS and JL, and Ayer’s cut of SS. It’s all hypothetical but I think the DCEU would have been successful. It was that string of failures that doomed the DCEU. If the first impression had been better, audiences would be more receptive.
I think the Ultimate cut of BvS would do probably the same amount of the BO or less.

There wouldn't be a 4 hour Snyder Cut of JL, probably around 3 hours. That again, would be relying on character recognition than quality. I could see it doing better than the original JL but $400M to $500M more? Definitely not. Then we'd be in the same position as we are now but probably with more loose ends going into JL2 and the Studio wondering if they should invest another $250M-$300M on a movie that's not going to be a good ROI.

Last edited:
Every filmmaker has to cut down their movies. Editing their own work is part of the job. If you can’t do that, you aren’t a good filmmaker. I’m sure that if we had the internet back then, Joseph Sargent could have launched a campaign that said that Jaws: The Revenge was intended to be a totally different film and his “vision” was never realized. But ultimately it’s ridiculous to refuse to take accountability for the turd you left in the toilet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"