Zack Snyder Reveals Watchmen Details

Heroes stole from Watchmen, Watchmen stole from an Outer Limits episode, big freakin' deal. There's no such thing as an original idea in entertainment anymore. Deal with it.

And that Outer Limits episode aired a year before the Watchmen came out and was in the top 20 of most watched shows that week?

It doesn't bother me that Heroes stole (though one wonders how it happened considering the writing staff) its going to be the fan reaction for those who didn't read Watchmen that will. They're going to love the movie but gripe that Watchmen stole from Heroes. And now apparently this past episode was similiar to X-Men's "Days of Future Past".

And that Outer Limits episode aired a year before the Watchmen came out and was in the top 20 of most watched shows that week?

It doesn't bother me that Heroes stole (though one wonders how it happened considering the writing staff) its going to be the fan reaction for those who didn't read Watchmen that will. They're going to love the movie but gripe that Watchmen stole from Heroes. And now apparently this past episode was similiar to X-Men's "Days of Future Past".

It's pretty simple. All you have to do is, when they say "Watchmen totally stole from Heroes!" you just say back "Watchmen was written 20 years ago". There, all done.

Most people will be able to figure out it's based on a comic book pretty quickly. DC/Vertigo logos at the beginning, superheroes, all that. People are getting a bit too worked up over nothing. Chillax, seriously.

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/788/788998p1.html

Watchmen, Eh?
Snyder's adaptation may film in Canada.
by Stax

US, May 16, 2007 - After being talked up incessantly when 300 opened, it's been eerily quiet on the Watchmen front these last few months. But now comes word that the long-awaited screen adaptation of the Alan Moore-Dave Gibbons graphic novel is finally moving forward (again).

According to HollywoodNorthReport.com, the film will lens in Vancouver, British Columbia. The site claims "Watchmen will open up their production offices in June with shooting to begin in mid to late August."

Watchmen will be directed by Zack Snyder, who also directed the blockbuster comic book movie adaptation 300.

Today's New York Post points out how uncomfortably similar this season of Heroes is to the basic plotline of Watchmen. "Snyder and his bosses are probably more than a little ticked off. For a movie that will cost hundreds of millions, and could star Tom Cruise as Ozymandias if the Hollywood rumor mill is right, it can be galling to see such a pivotal plot twist used elsewhere," the Post speculates.

Is this going to be another stupid Incredibles/F4 thing with the fans?

Is this going to be another stupid Incredibles/F4 thing with the fans?

Probably but while Incredibles was more on the superhuman powers there is a legit arguement about taking away a crucial plot point of the story.

But its good to hear some news on Watchmen, especially where they're going to shoot it. More signs that the film will happen.

Vancouver. August. sounds good :up:

btw, apologies for my confusion on Canadian geography and meteorology, but which city is usually cold and damp, Vancouver or Toronto? all i could recall was that the city has a climate that matched the eerie, sometimes depressing feel that the X-Files needed to tell its stories, the kind that would be beneficial to spinning the tale of The Watchmen.

Vancouver. August. sounds good :up:

btw, apologies for my confusion on Canadian geography and meteorology, but which city is usually cold and damp, Vancouver or Toronto? all i could recall was that the city has a climate that matched the eerie, sometimes depressing feel that the X-Files needed to tell its stories, the kind that would be beneficial to spinning the tale of The Watchmen.

Toronto is cold in the winter and Vancouver could be called damp.

Clocktower of the Vancouver Block on Granville Street
398px-Vancouver_clock_tower.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Vancouver

we should see some casting news pretty soon if they plan on shooting in august.

Michael Wilkinson (300, Sky High) is on board as Costume designer. This means that the work done by Kym Barrett on the movie, which was praised by the people who saw it (the Empire journalists, AICN Moriarty), was thrown in a trashcan.
It happened the same thing for Superman.

Michael Wilkinson (300, Sky High) is on board as Costume designer. This means that the work done by Kym Barrett on the movie, which was praised by the people who saw it (the Empire journalists, AICN Moriarty), was thrown in a trashcan.

Antonello, can you post the work done by Barrett?

If she's the one responsible for the fugly Dr. Manhattan desgisn I saw, then good riddance.

So excited for this movie, wish there were more news.

It's got an '09 release date right?

Last I heard, it was supposed to be December of 08. But don't take my word on that.

But the thing is, Heroes didn't even steal from Watchmen. Veidt's plan was to unite the world by creating a fake threat. Linderman and co.'s scheam was to allow a genuine threat that they knew about in advance to kill millions and then manipulate the situation to make a better world. They didn't cause the bomb. They were just willing to let it happen. And the thing is, Veidt succeeded, while Linderman failed.

I think the two ideas are different enough that no one, other than comic readers who should already know the differences, no one will say Heroes stole from Watchmen or Watchmen stole from Heroes.
There is room in the world for both.
While I was watching Heroes' last episode my mother heard a line by Peter about love being the only thing that matters, don't really remember the line, and she said now they are stealing from the bible.
You could say the end stole from Iron Giant.
But they are different enough in the important parts that it doesn't really matter. You can like both.
At first I was pissed, I was NOT going to watch Heroes because it TOTALLY copied X-Men. The idea of regular people having powers, but it was different enough from X-Men that I loved it. I still love the X-Men, but I love Heroes now too.
Creativity, my comic teacher told me, works by using everything you have experienced. And trying to create something original. Sometimes whether you mean to or not you can be influenced by something and it will reflect in your work. Sometimes this is intentional too, there are bad people out there.

I just think Watchmen and Heroes are two good stories, even if Heroes copied parts of Watchmen they are different enough in the right areas that it isn't copying. At least to me.
Thats just my two cents.

While I was watching Heroes' last episode my mother heard a line by Peter about love being the only thing that matters, don't really remember the line, and she said now they are stealing from the bible.

But...everyone steals from The Bible. :huh:

You can't really steal from the Bible. There are no copyrights to it. lol.

But seriously, everyone takes a little of something from someone else when writing something. As long as it is a little different then it is not blatant theft. And besides Alan Moore doesn't seem to have a problem with Heroes being similar to Watchmen. If he did this would be a moot point because Heroes would have been taken off TV. And think about it this way. Let all this talk come out now rather then later. The general public will hear about the way the two are similar to each other and Heroes fan's who never read Watchmen will buy the graphic novel before the movie comes out. It will create a whole new comic fan base.

You can't really steal from the Bible. There are no copyrights to it. lol.

But seriously, everyone takes a little of something from someone else when writing something. As long as it is a little different then it is not blatant theft. And besides Alan Moore doesn't seem to have a problem with Heroes being similar to Watchmen. If he did this would be a moot point because Heroes would have been taken off TV. And think about it this way. Let all this talk come out now rather then later. The general public will hear about the way the two are similar to each other and Heroes fan's who never read Watchmen will buy the graphic novel before the movie comes out. It will create a whole new comic fan base.
Having been sued for plagiarism (after his his ten-hour deposition for the case he said he'd have suffered less if he'd "sodomised and murdered a busload of children after giving them heroin."), I doubt that Alan Moore would like to put someone in the same position.
And I strongly doubt he's been following Heroes on TV.

dude...they ripped it off...you cant really deny that. bad guy intended on having new york blow up, killing millions, in an attempt to untie the world in the aftermath. that's pretty f**king blatant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"