Why do you like the Black Panther character?

D

Dre Roughneck

This came up in the movie thread, and got me thinking....

1. He's black
2. His powers aren't superhuman like Spiderman, Superman, the Hulk
3. He's the leader of a black nation that not only cuts itself off from countries outside of Africa, but pretty much doesn't want anything to do with "the rest" of the continent.
4. The fact that his becoming "The Black Panther" is because of his bloodline is kinda interesting also.

This list made me ask myself a serious question. Do I identify with the Black Panther character more because of his story, or more because of his skin tone?

If the Black Panther story were about about a Non-black king in another country...say in ....fictional china...would his stories hold the same appeal to me?

I don't think so.

So, in my case...a large part of my enjoyment of the black panther is due to his skin tone. His fairly limited abilities (compared to other comic super heroes) is another thing that I find favor with.

IMHO, I identify with BP because he's a powerful "black" man who plays a super hero that's strong mentally, yet not reliant on super human physical strength like the Hulk, Thor, Superman. As intelligent as Reed Richards (almost), as good a fighter as Daredevil (almost) and as rich as Tony Stark.

Only thing missing from a lot of what the comics have brought to the table has been the personal aspect of T'Challa. What does he truly feel about his heritage, his people, the women in his life.

Neither Hudlin or Priest touched on that enough for my liking, and when they did, I didn't really like their interpretation.

The costume and his cool intellect. Plus the Dora malije is pimp!

gotta admit.. I liked the Black panther initially because of his costume...very cool..

Not gonna go there.

As long as he is "Less than" to the comic community he will be grudginly accepted.
Consider:
He can do more than Daredevil I'd dare say in a dustup he should win ten out of twelve fights.

Yet he has trouble with the redskull?

He has beat Iron man three times,... even with Tony doing his version of "Prep time"

Yet he gets hurt by Iron Fist?

He is considered an Equal by the Likes of Doom and Namor?

Yet is obviously excluded by a select group of movers/shakers which include stark, richards and strange?

He has an obvious code of conduct and acts like a king?

But Everytime he's written by others outside his comic he is an easily beaten follower w/o a tech-base which exceeds starks.

Now on Topic:

I like the Panther mostly because nothing about him is white generated.

He wasn't experimented on, he wasn't the lab-monkey for a well known white scientist, he wasn't a thief, or a criminal gone good, he was never a stereotype of how white America saw all or most BM.

Sorta like sync before they casually killed him.

Bottom line: he draws nothing with running with / behind white folk and that rubs alotta people the wrong way.
(U should read how some came on here and whined about a fictional blackman being able to beat captain america,.. or have a high tech base in a universe where everything else is apparently possible.)

I really don't see how they could do a movie about him correctly. There will be enough in the mix to corrupt the core of what the Panther is.

Peace.

Varient said:
Not gonna go there.

As long as he is "Less than" to the comic community he will be grudginly accepted.
Consider:
He can do more than Daredevil I'd dare say in a dustup he should win ten out of twelve fights.

Yet he has trouble with the redskull?

He has beat Iron man three times,... even with Tony doing his version of "Prep time"

Yet he gets hurt by Iron Fist?

He is considered an Equal by the Likes of Doom and Namor?

Yet is obviously excluded by a select group of movers/shakers which include stark, richards and strange?

He has an obvious code of conduct and acts like a king?

But Everytime he's written by others outside his comic he is an easily beaten follower w/o a tech-base which exceeds starks.

Now on Topic:

I like the Panther mostly because nothing about him is white generated.

He wasn't experimented on, he wasn't the lab-monkey for a well known white scientist, he wasn't a thief, or a criminal gone good, he was never a stereotype of how white America saw all or most BM.

Sorta like sync before they casually killed him.

Bottom line: he draws nothing with running with / behind white folk and that rubs alotta people the wrong way.
(U should read how some came on here and whined about a fictional blackman being able to beat captain america,.. or have a high tech base in a universe where everything else is apparently possible.)

I really don't see how they could do a movie about him correctly. There will be enough in the mix to corrupt the core of what the Panther is.

Peace.

Son! you rock!! :up: :up: Straight-up you read my mind in a deep way.

His name is entirely stupid though when you think about it.

There are no panthers in Africa, let alone black ones.

I like him cause he's black.

And if he were white I wouldn't like him.

Sounds kinda umm, racist?

Oh wait, black people can't be legally racist against white people.

How do you feel about blonde hair, blue eyed, Cracker America?

You wanna know why I like the Purple Man? Not because he's a good character and has cool powers. It's because he's Purple.

It's been too long that the purple peoples' represenative in comics has been teamed up on by the whites (Daredevil) and blacks (Luke Cage)

Us purples are the real minority.

All my purple brothers need to represent!

Black Panther is a better fighter than Daredevil(he beat Cap)
He is as smart as Richards(the Quinjets are his design)
He is also richer than Stark.

He is not the stereotypical angry black male(try to find one who isnt in comics).

He is the first Black Superhero.....and his name predates the Black Panther Party

The black panther is the common name for a black specimen (a genetic variant) of several species of cats. Zoologically, a panther is the same as a leopard, while the term Panthera describes the whole family of big cats. But, in North America, the term panther is also used for puma. In South America it could also mean a jaguar. Elsewhere in the world it refers to leopard (originally individual animals with longer tails were deemed panthers and others were leopards; it is a common misconception that panther means a melanistic individual).
Black Leopard
These are the most common form of black panther in captivity and have been selectively bred for decades as exhibits or exotic pets (this inbreeding for the sake of appearance has adversely affected temperament). They are smaller and more lightly built than jaguars. The spotted pattern is still visible on black leopards, especially from certain angles where the effects is of printed silk.

Black leopards are reported from moist densely-forested areas in south-western China, Burma, Assam and Nepal; from Travancore and other parts of southern India and are said to be common in Java and the southern part of the Malay peninsula where they may be more numerous than spotted leopards. They are less common in tropical Africa, but have been reported from Ethiopia (formerly Abyssinia), the forests of Mount Kenya and the Aberdares. One was recorded by Peter Turnbull-Kemp in the equatorial forest of Cameroon.

Cyclops said:
His name is entirely stupid though when you think about it.

There are no panthers in Africa, let alone black ones.

Not true my friend, some Leopards in Africa have an recessive gene that causes their fur to become all black it's rare, but it happens.

:up:

Purple Man said:
I like him cause he's black.

And if he were white I wouldn't like him.

Sounds kinda umm, racist?

Oh wait, black people can't be legally racist against white people.

How do you feel about blonde hair, blue eyed, Cracker America?

You wanna know why I like the Purple Man? Not because he's a good character and has cool powers. It's because he's Purple.

It's been too long that the purple peoples' represenative in comics has been teamed up on by the whites (Daredevil) and blacks (Luke Cage)

Us purples are the real minority.

All my purple brothers need to represent!

Heh, your looking right idiotic.

roach said:
Black Panther is a better fighter than Daredevil(he beat Cap)
He is as smart as Richards(the Quinjets are his design)
He is also richer than Stark.

He is not the stereotypical angry black male(try to find one who isnt in comics).

He is the first Black Superhero.....and his name predates the Black Panther Party

The black panther is the common name for a black specimen (a genetic variant) of several species of cats. Zoologically, a panther is the same as a leopard, while the term Panthera describes the whole family of big cats. But, in North America, the term panther is also used for puma. In South America it could also mean a jaguar. Elsewhere in the world it refers to leopard (originally individual animals with longer tails were deemed panthers and others were leopards; it is a common misconception that panther means a melanistic individual).
Black Leopard
These are the most common form of black panther in captivity and have been selectively bred for decades as exhibits or exotic pets (this inbreeding for the sake of appearance has adversely affected temperament). They are smaller and more lightly built than jaguars. The spotted pattern is still visible on black leopards, especially from certain angles where the effects is of printed silk.

Black leopards are reported from moist densely-forested areas in south-western China, Burma, Assam and Nepal; from Travancore and other parts of southern India and are said to be common in Java and the southern part of the Malay peninsula where they may be more numerous than spotted leopards. They are less common in tropical Africa, but have been reported from Ethiopia (formerly Abyssinia), the forests of Mount Kenya and the Aberdares. One was recorded by Peter Turnbull-Kemp in the equatorial forest of Cameroon.

BOO YA!:up:

THANOSRULES said:
gotta admit.. I liked the Black panther initially because of his costume...very cool..

I must confess. The costume caught me too.

deemar325 said:
Not true my friend, some Leopards in Africa have an recessive gene that causes their fur to become all black it's rare, but it happens.

:up:

But they are Leopards, not technically Panthers. Leopard is more specific than Panther.

Purple Man, you are indeed presenting yourself as somewhat ignorant in your post. He wasn't saying he disliked white heroes; simply that he could identify more with black ones. How could that possibly be seen as wrong?

I identify with people whom have things in common with me. It's much more likely that I will be comfortable talking with a latino cop than a chinese one. That's not to say that I dislike chinese people or that I don't have any chinese friends...it's just that people will always more easily identify with someone or something they are familiar with. It's how the human mind works.

Originally I liked what he represented that who he really was. I respected that he was the first serious black hero out there. I admit, that was one of the key things I like about him, because as weird as it sounds, I want diversity out there. I want to see a black man shown a positive light. But then, I actually read about him. And the stories themselves were phenominal. Christopher Priest is what really got me into the character. He kicks all kinds of ass. Unlike a certain Hudlin, he made me see T'Challa as more than a symbol, but a real character. So really, I like Black Panther because Priest showed me that he is a great and very unique character.

Cyclops said:
But they are Leopards, not technically Panthers. Leopard is more specific than Panther.

read my post...there isnt an actual animal called a panther.

Originally I liked him because he was black and there are so few good black characters in comics. I also grew to love the character due to Priests run on the book. He's gone from a character I respected to probally my favorite overall.

He's a strong black man!!!
leader of his own nation
able to get storm
more richer than iron-man, and an avenger!!
but the most under rated superhero in the marvel universe next to blade.

Who the **** is Dre Roughneck?

And I like him cause Priest wrote him awesomly. He doesn't trust anybody and he Joined the Avengers to spy on them.

I actually dont' have a lot of like toward Black Panther. I have nothing against him, but he just never interested me.

Black Panther and Storm are some of the few black heroes who are black and are from africa but don't stress that point until it kills you. They aren't angry or racist or whatever. They're cool and were doing their own thing for years.

Storm for example is part of the team. No one EVER, without having some kind of prejudice or racist thought, has mentioned Storm as the "token black" character. She was just as valueable as Wolverine or Cyclops or Jean. Just a memorable as well. That's why I like her. And she's drawn looking awesome. They don't give her piggish looks because she's black. Which actually happens a lot..Storm is actually hot.

But anyway..BP rocks. Because of all of his skills and talents. And for what he stands for in both the comics and in our world is amazing. He is a testament to the idea that a character of color can be awesome without being a stereotype or a noticeable minority.

You don't think Captain America and think race. You don't look at Spider-man or Daredevil and think of race. But why is it that with most black characters you think "oh they're black"? Ask yourselves where the writers minds are.

I still think there should be more asian heroes, and ones that aren't all about martial arts either. Jubilee is cool, but where is she? Is she even in Ultimate X-men? Namor is like asian or something but that's more of the artist just drawing him weird then them trying to actually make him asian I think.

Nah, dude. Black characters are way more prominent than asian ones.

ChineseFooD said:
Black Panther and Storm are some of the few black heroes who are black and are from africa but don't stress that point until it kills you. They aren't angry or racist or whatever. They're cool and were doing their own thing for years.

Storm for example is part of the team. No one EVER, without having some kind of prejudice or racist thought, has mentioned Storm as the "token black" character. She was just as valueable as Wolverine or Cyclops or Jean. Just a memorable as well. That's why I like her. And she's drawn looking awesome. They don't give her piggish looks because she's black. Which actually happens a lot..Storm is actually hot.

But anyway..BP rocks. Because of all of his skills and talents. And for what he stands for in both the comics and in our world is amazing. He is a testament to the idea that a character of color can be awesome without being a stereotype or a noticeable minority.

You don't think Captain America and think race. You don't look at Spider-man or Daredevil and think of race. But why is it that with most black characters you think "oh they're black"? Ask yourselves where the writers minds are.

I still think there should be more asian heroes, and ones that aren't all about martial arts either. Jubilee is cool, but where is she? Is she even in Ultimate X-men? Namor is like asian or something but that's more of the artist just drawing him weird then them trying to actually make him asian I think.

Nah, dude. Black characters are way more prominent than asian ones.

Wait...Namor's Asian? :confused:

As for BP, I agree. What makes him cool (and apparently what Hudlin looked past in the memo) is that he's a strong black character, but he doesn't force his race down your throat and doesn't come out with an agenda.

Being black myself; it's great to see a great black hero from the motherland.

Because he has a freakin' cool Marvel Legends figure. I know I know, ain't th' best of reasons, but what can I say?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"