Why does Peter work at the Bugle?

Picard Sisko

Prepare to be Assimilated
Reaction score
Someone was making a good point about Peter Parker selling photos of Spider-Man to the Daily Bugle. Why doesn't he just go to another newspaper that won't trash him so much, and would give him a bigger pay.

I think he was always trying to prove to JJ that Spider-Man was a good person.

I guess that was just never explored in the Raimi films.

But that's actually a perfect explanation. :)

I don't think it's anything to do with proving something to Jonah. In the movies the Bugle was the newspaper that was offering cash for photos specifically of Spider-Man.

Actually, it makes sense in the comics too I supposed...Betty is Peter's first gf, isn't she?

Hmm...I guess I always figured the Bugle is supposed to be the biggest paper in town in the Raimi films, since it seemed like Peter's dream job. So maybe regardless of the crap pay, he figures it looks on the resume or w/e.

He wanted a job as a photographer, he said that to MJ before Flash flashes his car to her
And the Bugle offered a reward for a photo of Spider-Man, he took his opportunity to cease a job at Jonah's office
If you care for it when it comes to storytelling in general, there's no need to introduce extra characters, and J.J is the biggest newspaper man in MU, beside the fact Peter worked for him all those years

In comics he took the job for laughs, the idea of selling J.J photos of the guy he hates the most taken by that guy himself is too precious an opportunity to let go of, and he needed money to support his home

The Daily Bugle seems like kind of a rag in the films doesn't it? In part 3 Hoffman mentions to JJ how they are pretty much being outsold by almost everyone and in the scene when Peter first views Brock fake pic in the Bugle I believe,in the corner of the paper,the cost to by an issue was something like 10 cents? But they make it seem like NY's best selling paper.

The Daily Bugle seems like kind of a rag in the films doesn't it? In part 3 Hoffman mentions to JJ how they are pretty much being outsold by almost everyone and in the scene when Peter first views Brock fake pic in the Bugle I believe,in the corner of the paper,the cost to by an issue was something like 10 cents? But they make it seem like NY's best selling paper.
Classic price
I want some

Maybe by the time Spider-Man 3 came out, the sales were dropping?

Maybe by the time Spider-Man 3 came out, the sales were dropping?
I can't remember where I heard this or if it was even true,but I recall a rumor that for Spider-man 4 Jameson would have to sell the Bugle because of dropping sales,possibly to a villain. I think it was supposed to be either Kingpin or Quentin Beck. Anyone hear about that?

I can't remember where I heard this or if it was even true,but I recall a rumor that for Spider-man 4 Jameson would have to sell the Bugle because of dropping sales,possibly to a villain. I think it was supposed to be either Kingpin or Quentin Beck. Anyone hear about that?
I didn't
Another guy losing his business in Spider-Man 4? What if both Jameson and Ditkovic met? That would make an interesting aspect in this universe
Doubt Fisk is the one to buy it

Seems like a plot point from Superman IV.
They did take the power loss point from Superman II and used it in Spider-Man 2.
The idea in Spider-Man 2 felt fantastic the first time, unfortunately, the more I view it in recent years the more absurd it feels
Losing the Daily Bugle has potential to make a great story if done right. losing the Planet was not done well in Superman IV, cause Perry doesn't really own the Planet, unlike Jameson with the Bugle, and the owner of the DP was never shown on film

If you want to make a crazy connection...

Origin Movie -> Superman The Movie -> Spider-Man -> Batman Begins
Hero has doubts about his mission/Loses powers -> Superman II -> Spider-Man 2 -> The Dark Knight
Hero faces an evil version of themselves -> Superman III -> Spider-Man 3 -> The Dark Knight Rises

They did take the power loss point from Superman II and used it in Spider-Man 2.
The idea in Spider-Man 2 felt fantastic the first time, unfortunately, the more I view it in recent years the more absurd it feels
Losing the Daily Bugle has potential to make a great story if done right. losing the Planet was not done well in Superman IV, cause Perry doesn't really own the Planet, unlike Jameson with the Bugle, and the owner of the DP was never shown on film

Spider-Man 2 was inspired by Amazing Spider-Man #50. I think its just mere coincidence.

Back to the main topic, maybe other newspapers aren't as interested in photos of Spider-Man. The Daily Bugle is the only one to get them, and it doesn't look like its helping their sales. Jameson is probably the only one buying them because of his hatred for him.

I do recall those rumors as well, and believe it was suppose to be Toomes who take over the Bugle...

this was during the whole the Vulture and the Vulturess rumors lol with Felicia being Toomes daughter or something like that

Now I appreciate the reboot even more. SM4 probably would have been the Batman & Robin of the franchise. Well... maybe not THAT bad.

I do recall those rumors as well, and believe it was suppose to be Toomes who take over the Bugle...

this was during the whole the Vulture and the Vulturess rumors lol with Felicia being Toomes daughter or something like that

Toomes,that's who it was! I knew I heard that somewhere. lol

If you want to make a crazy connection...

Origin Movie -> Superman The Movie -> Spider-Man -> Batman Begins
Hero has doubts about his mission/Loses powers -> Superman II -> Spider-Man 2 -> The Dark Knight
Hero faces an evil version of themselves -> Superman III -> Spider-Man 3 -> The Dark Knight Rises
Wonder what would happen if Batman had a fourth movie in Nolan's series

Spider-Man 2 was inspired by Amazing Spider-Man #50. I think its just mere coincidence.
Losing his powers comes from other issues, like the first annual. But even with that it's not a fun adaption
I doubt it drawing similarity to Superman 2 is coincidence

They specifically pointed out that it was inspired by The Amazing Spider-Man #50 in several interviews on the DVD. The most obvious proof is that they take the same exact shot of Peter walking away from the costume in the garbage pan. Also, the title of that comic is called "Spider-Man No More," which is a line Peter says a couple of times in the movie.

spidermantop.jpg

Now THAT is not a coincidence.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"