Why Green Lantern will not work as a movie

AnorexicBatman

Sidekick
Reaction score
http://www.craveonline.com/entertainment/comics/article/why-green-lantern-wont-work-as-a-movie-80605

BY IANN ROBINSON
JUL 13, 2009

Late last week it was announced that Ryan Reynolds, the man who once breathed life into Marvel Comics Deadpool, had been given the role of Hal Jordan in the upcoming Green Lantern movie. It now seems as if the GL movie is firing on all pistons with a big time leading man donning the ring and James Bond director Martin Campbell assigned to helm the epic sci-fi/comic book/adventure yarn.

I’m a big time Green Lantern fan, have been ever since I was a kid. Outside of Batman and Wolverine there was no other hero I’d have rather been than Green Lantern Of Sector 2814. The idea of a ring producing whatever I imagined was exciting to me as was the idea of being part of a galactic police force. I didn’t discover Alan Scott (the more magic based original Green Lantern) until much later so as far as I knew Hal Jordan was the first and best member of the Green Lantern world. With my devotion to the character so incredibly defined it follows that this movie news would drive me into fits of sheer ecstasy. Sadly though, it doesn’t. In fact I’m actually kind of bummed about it.

I don’t like comic book movies for the most part and I’m fully aware I’m in a minority there. To be honest the only comic book movies I have enjoyed were Superman, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Beyond those three I either hated films based on comics or I was just disappointed. I’m from the Alan Moore school of thinking that there are things done in comics that should be left there and I think Green Lantern tips into that arena. It’s not just a shallow idea that the movie will “suck” but rather an extensive collection of examples that prove why Green Lantern will be a poison pill for Hollywood.

To start Green Lantern is too peripheral a character to really get people excited to see the film. This has long been a DC Comics problem that most of their characters are peripheral outside of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. For those of us who grew up loving comics Green Lantern is as important as any DC character but for the mainstream audience he’s little more than a name they might recognize.

Some folks may claim that Iron Man is also a peripheral character and while that may be true to a degree Iron Man has some things going for it that Green Lantern doesn’t. First off (with the exception of a small War Machine story arc) Iron Man has always been about Tony Stark and his adventures as old shell-head.

After forty plus years people recognize both the name Tony Stark and Iron Man so there’s at least a wisp of interest there. Outside of that it’s just easier to bend and conform the comic book story to fit a movie simply because all you have to do is stick Tony Stark in some kind of adventure and then add Iron Man effects.

With Green Lantern you’re talking at least three separate Lanterns that have been mainstays of DC Comics. Starting with Alan Scott, moving into Hal Jordan and then Kyle Rainer. Most moviegoers don’t know any of those three by name and by default simply don’t care about the back-story. People knew Iron Man/Tony Stark had been a billionaire and a drunk and a flashy ladies man. You ask anybody outside the comic world what Kyle Rainer did for a living or for a brief history of Hal Jordan they’ll probably ask you who the hell that is.

That leaves the comic book and nerd population to fill the seats and there you have splintered dedications about the book. Some say it should be about Alan Scott since he was the first while others say Hal Jordan is the only one a movie should be done about. There’s even a small percentage that want a Kyle Rainer movie, I know it sounds absurd but it’s true. Collectively we couldn’t make Green Lantern a hit so splintered we’d have even less of a chance. This is all of course based on the idea that the movie doesn’t suck.

That brings us to the incredibly dense and interwoven history of the Green Lanterns. Where exactly is a film version going to start? If it goes with the origin of Hal Jordan then it would have to include Sinestro which would mean including the Green Lantern Corps and by that time you have a huge plot line that will confuse the uninitiated while simultaneously boring those of us who know the history cold. The filmmakers could try to do a Parallax (the yellow entity that possess Hal Jordan turning him evil) story line but then they’d have to tell Jordan’s origins and history in flashbacks, which would quickly become too intricate for the popcorn movie crowd.

Remember, people want to go to movies like this to be entertained become incredibly involved in a rich historical tapestry they don’t care about. Besides where would that story end? When Jordan goes into the sun or afterwards when he becomes The Spectre? It’s hard to do one without the other.

Sticking with the origin story you then have to explain the crux of Green Lantern’s powers. No audience member who isn’t a comic reader is going to care that the green power comes from imagination and will but that yellow light means fear which can counteract the green and so on. When I start explaining that to people they tune out imagine how pissed they’ll be if they’ve paid for it.

You also have no direct well-known villain. Batman has Joker, Superman has Lex Luthor the X-Men have Magneto the list goes on. With Green Lantern, other than Sinestro, you have no real villain and I’m here to tell you that Sinestro is not well known. Wolverine had no real well known adversary to in order to turn a buck Fox threw everything but the kitchen sink into the movie. Green Lantern doesn’t have that many kitchen sinks to throw into it. To solve these dilemmas those in charge would start cutting and splicing the story to fit a film and do we, as fans really want that?

One of the best things about Green Lantern is that the comics slide from one genre to the other. At times it’s a personal drama, then it becomes a straight adventure comic, a sci-fi story, a political intrigue read and so on. You simply don’t have enough time to do that in a movie so Green Lantern would be reduced to a special effects eye candy movie, a fact that does a terrible injustice to the lineage and history of the character.

In movie scripting terms Batman works because the comic was mostly a dark detective story, Superman a sci-fi adventure and Wolverine a badass action comic. The X-Men is a comic title with the same rich history as Green Lantern and look how badly those movies were handled. Huge chunks rewritten or excluded simply to make the film more palatable to movie audiences really hurt those movies. Remember I’m judging them by quality not the box office receipts.

Or course there is the dollars and cents angle of making a Green Lantern movie, a problem that will lead to several mistakes on the part of the movie company. You have to remember that Green Lantern’s primary power is that his ring can create anything his imagination can come up with. This presents a movie problem on a few levels.

The first is straightforward costs. Not only does this ring create whatever it needs to, the creations are always green. Imagine the CGI costs of creating a three-dimensional image that moves and fights but is glowing green the whole time. Even if movie Hal Jordan makes something as simple as a fist it’ll be a major undertaking to execute well.

If the movie is just flying green fists nobody will care so the images the ring creates will have to get more elaborate and thus the special effects budget will climb higher and higher. Superman need only fly or use heat vision, Batman jumps of buildings and throws Batarangs while Green Lanterns create huge green polar bears or roller coasters or machine guns and so on. Creating those visuals and not making them look cheap is a tall order for a movie about a largely unknown character to the 80% of the world that doesn’t read comics.

Then there’s the lack of actual physical battles. For the most part Green Lantern wars are like spaceships having laser battles with lasers that form into visuals. How interested is an audience going to be watching two hours of guys flying around and pointing their fists at each other? Even if Green Lanterns and their enemies do exchange fisticuffs then that’s exactly what they’ll be doing, fist fighting. There’s no super power here beyond the rings and watching two guys beat each other up isn’t going to pack the theaters the way Hollywood needs them. You put a bar fight in space it’s still a bar fight.

Outside of that you have the sheer vastness of the other Green Lanterns and their home planet of OA. To create Killawog (the Green Lantern veteran solider) would be a CGI trick of massive undertaking and he’s one of the easier characters. Even the Guardians, the ones who give a Green Lantern his ring, are tiny and blue. You’re looking at a cast of thousands that are all CGI and must done so well an audience identifies with them and cares about them. This is no easy feat for an effects team with an endless budget which, being the first untested film, this team won’t have.

The next mistake is one Hollywood has already made, casting a star. Ryan Reynolds is a lighthearted romantic comedy actor, the pretty boy guy girls wish they could meet, he’s not Green Lantern. Those of us who were scarred for life by viewing the Wolverine movie remember Reynolds’ seriously lacking portrayal of Deadpool. Funny guy snappy one-liners aren’t going to work here. Green Lantern isn’t Mr. Saturday Night and I just don’t think he can play his roles any other way.

It’s also that Reynolds is a massive celebrity and that’s just the wrong move to carry a comic book hero. People need to see a “Green Lantern” on the screen not a famous person dressed as a “Green Lantern”. Christopher Reeves was an unknown before Superman and even Batman’s Christian Bale and Wolverine’s Hugh Jackman were under the radar when they were hired. Hiring Reynolds or any other big star means Hollywood is instantly thinking marketing and open weekend returns a fact that doesn’t bode well for a superior film.

Again people may bring up Iron Man stating that Robert Downey JR is a big star and Iron Man was a good movie. Even if the latter were true Downey JR had long since doused his star with the cold water of controversy. Downey JR needed Iron Man more as a comeback, a way to show he could carry a big film on his own.

Moviegoers didn’t associate Downey JR with any one role or genre a fact that’s not true with Ryan Reynolds. He’s the date movie guy and putting him in a superhero role just doesn’t work. The same would be true for Justin Timberlake (who also tested for GL). Perhaps Hangover star Bradley Cooper would have been better in theory because he’s not too well known but having seen his movies I don’t think he’s up the challenge either.

So there you have it, budget issues, actor issues, content issues and story issues. This is a movie filled with problems before scene one is shot. Green Lantern is a vast and layered story that encompasses a huge cast of characters, multiple worlds and incredibly visual conflicts.

Those elements work in a comic book because they have room to breathe and time to grow. Cramming all of that into a two-hour movie will most likely bleed out everything that makes it so special. This is story telling on an epic level and it belongs in comic books and maybe in animated films but not as flesh and blood.

We’ve already lost Wolverine, X-Men, The Incredible Hulk, Daredevil, Swamp Thing, Steel, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four and others to the world of bad movie making why sacrifice yet another. Let the Green Lanterns remain on the page giving us year after year of great stories instead of burning out on screen in a vile attempt to sell tickets.
:dry::cmad:

I can't begin to explain how wrong this guys is. I read the 1st draft. It flowed wonderfully and everything was explained. It was almost perfect and as far I as know the 3rd draft is longer and possibly better.

About the multiple Lanterns, they seem to already have set it up. Alan is the retired hero who one day may once again be called into action, Hal is the current hero and Gardner is the rival. Sinestro is the mentor who turns evil, we saw this already in Batman Begins.

Yeah, I lost count of the ways the guy is just utterly wrong, and talking out of his ass. But it's a waste of time trying to take this apart point by point, it's not like he's here to answer back.

Ryan Reynolds isn't a "massive" celebrity, he's just perceived that way because he's married to Scarlett Johannsen. He's not A-list yet, but he's getting there. And what's wrong with using an established actor as opposed to an unknown? Both alternatives can work beautifully.

I just can't believe this guy... an absolute asshat. If Campbell pulls it off, he probably won't publish a retraction or say "Okay, I was wrong."

lol, i had no clue who tony stark was, i always thought ironman was a robot.

I always knew what a green lantern does, and his powers. I may not know the history etc, but isnt that part of the movie that would make it so great?

He isn't "big" enough to copy his origins exactly, and probably allows a lot of creative thinking. As long as I get the jist of what a GLs philosophies, enemies, and purpose are. I'll be content with this movie, luck for the director they don't have really anything to compare it too, to me this movie can only do nothing but win.

oh boy what to say i dont know. That just seemed to be one long hate rant.

Who the hell are "Killawog" and "Kyle Rainer"?

And I thought the vast majority of fanboys enjoyed Reynold's portrayal of Wade and were pissed at the movie's handling of him. Was I wrong?

Last edited:
even though the dude doesn't like Spider-Man, it doesn't mean it was a bad franchise so i don't get his last point.

When people claim to be "Big fans!" then can't even spell main character names right. I can't take them seriously anymore.

There's people like that everywhere. Where I work at, there's a dude that I don't like (that nobody likes) because he talks big but doesn't know what he's talking about.

For example, we were talking about Superman Returns and I said I didn't like how Lex was portrayed. Then he told me that he's a Superman fan and that Kevin Spacey's Lex Luthor was accurate to the comics.

That's when I layed down my verbal assault on him. haha.

Also, among one of the many, many inaccuracies on display here, I'd like to remark on his comments on Robert Downey Jr. It's a popular misconception that RDJ was plucked straight out of Hasbeenville and dumped in the midst of Iron Man to make a miraculous comeback. In fact, Robert Downey Jr has been clean and sober for the best part of a decade now, and even before Iron Man had been steadily rebuilding himself as a stalwart supporting player in numerous films, even taking critically-acclaimed leading roles in films like Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. Iron Man was just the final step on his road back to the top.

And anyone who suggests that filmgoers have no expectations from a Robert Downey Jr performance, and don't associate him with any particular kind of role, clearly hasn't seen enough of his movies.

This article is over two months old and is written like an opinion editorial (although clearly this guy works for Crave Online). If he is who I think, Iann Robinson is a former MTV VJ, and, in my opinion should stick to critiquing Heavy Metal bands. First of all he informs the reader that he has a bias by indicating that he doesn't like comic book movies. That alone should disqualify his opinion as far as I am concerned. Next he makes a number of claims about Green Lantern without any basis supporting it. For instance, he says that Green Lantern is a peripheral character. Fact be it know is that Green Lantern has been known as a character for almost 70 years, had his own title for more than 40, and has had several titles out in the past 5 years alone including, the "Rebirth" series and the current crossover maxi-series, "Blackest Night". He then indicated that the GL mytos is interwoven with many characters that it would be difficult to write a storyline that would grasp all fans. The truth of the matter is that the fact that Green Lantern does have such a rich mythology gives writers a lot of source material to draw from. In addition, the fact that the Silver and current age Green Lantern mytos is rooted in space-based science fiction/fantasy , it lends it self to attract a larger fan base than comic-book fanboys and girls. Yes, Green Lantern has the potential to lure in both Star Wars and Star Trek fans due to its similarities (outer space, aliens, different worlds, et. al.). There are a lot more fans in the space-based sci-fi/fantacy genre than there are in the comic-book superhero world as well, and that is a big point that he is missing. All of this is without mentioning the fact that Green Lantern also has the potential to become a TV series. Then he trys to justify why Batman works. Look if the guy admits to not liking comic book movies, why should we be looking to him to find out why Batman worked? Green Lantern is not in the same subgenre as Batman so it shouldn't necessarily be written that way.

Last edited:
Also, among one of the many, many inaccuracies on display here, I'd like to remark on his comments on Robert Downey Jr. It's a popular misconception that RDJ was plucked straight out of Hasbeenville and dumped in the midst of Iron Man to make a miraculous comeback. In fact, Robert Downey Jr has been clean and sober for the best part of a decade now, and even before Iron Man had been steadily rebuilding himself as a stalwart supporting player in numerous films, even taking critically-acclaimed leading roles in films like Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. Iron Man was just the final step on his road back to the top.

And anyone who suggests that filmgoers have no expectations from a Robert Downey Jr performance, and don't associate him with any particular kind of role, clearly hasn't seen enough of his movies.

Nicely put Soze, and i have to say Downey was awesome in kiss kiss bang bang

I stopped reading after, "Outside of Batman and Wolverine there was no other hero I’d have rather been" and "To be honest the only comic book movies I have enjoyed were Superman, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight."

Aaaaand we're done.

:hal: :hal: :hal:

you all bring up good points. This guy is just a fool with what he said.

If you asked me who Tony Stark was before the Iron Man movie came out, I would have drawn a blank face. I didn't even know he had a mustache until I saw pics of Robert Downy Jr. on set.

I stopped reading after, "Outside of Batman and Wolverine there was no other hero I’d have rather been" and "To be honest the only comic book movies I have enjoyed were Superman, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight."

Aaaaand we're done.

:hal: :hal: :hal:
Ha, that's where I stopped reading, too.

Well, to be fair, Superman, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are all really good.

I am also cautious of self-proclaimed Wolverine fans.

Batman and Wolverine. Good characters that they are, they have become the poster sons for what is wrong with the comic entertainment industry.

i think it's just the fans who ruin it.

I've met people who are fans of the usual (Batman, X-Men) who are so close minded to new things like "The Walking Dead" or "Fables".

"What's that? That's a no name title", says the ignorant fool.

i am up for anything if it peaks my interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"