Why Green Lantern will not work as a movie

Batman and Wolverine. Good characters that they are, they have become the poster sons for what is wrong with the comic entertainment industry.

Wolverine especially, since he is a massive Gary Stu.

i guess by name dropping "allan moore" he thinks it'll make himself look smart and credible?

I don't understand the focus on how well know comic book characters are.

It really is irrelevant, IF they are made interesting enough in the movie.

Look at all the movies with characters that were just created for their movies. That have no previous source material. They can become pop culture icons. Jack Sparrow springs to mind easily.

The whole "Well know one outside of comics has ever heard of this character so that means it will automatically fail" is the biggest load of bollox I've ever heard.

No one outside of comics has heard of them? Well then you ****ing make people outside of comics hear and know about them by making an excellent ****ing film about them.

And this guy thinks he has a credible opinion? When his two favourite characters are THE most over exposed in existence?

Name (or brand) recognition paired with the right rating can sometimes be more important than buzz. Just take a look at "GI joe: The Rise of Cobra". Although it didn't have a prescreening and relied on what turbed out to be bad reviews on the Internet, the film had a big opening week and almost made $300 million at the box office. This was enough to get the studios to commit to a sequel that may start filming at the end of this year. That is how important name recognition is. I would not expect a character like Nova, for example, to do half as well as Green Lantern due to that phenomena.

Though this does cater to the reason why studios don't do original screenplays anymore, rarely. The character already has to have an established fanbase or it just won't fly. Look at Ghostbusters, Indiana Jones, etc. Those were all original creations and they're pretty much pop culture merchandising blitzes nowadays.

The other thing to consider is that original screen plays can be more costly to develop whereas established or already existing stories come with source material and very little to develop as far as plot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"