Why Judge Dredd is an underrated gem..

Kevin Roegele said:
You're joking.

Judge Dredd is NOT SUPPOSED TO HAVE ANY CHARACTER. He's the physical embodiment of a facist state. he doesn't take his mask off because he doesn't have an identity. Judge Dredd comics are all satirical, they are not supposed to be taken at face value.
The only reason why he unmasked was to show off the big name actor playing him.

Horrorfan said:
They took a potentially good character and sci fi world from poor writers and made it decent- I don't see the crime.

:confused:

:eek:

Judge Dredd is not even about sci-fi! It's satire! And it's had superb writers and artists.

People really crapped on this movie and I never understood why. I liked it a lot.

A while later I went to a stand up comedy act and the comic said "I just saw Judge Dredd. What a piece of shit that movie was huh?" Of course he didn't give any reasons why. Nobody ever does.

The voice Sly used wasn't what i had imagined. But then I knew the character was based on Clint Eastwood. Yeah the Lawmasters flew, which they didn't in the comics, but I thought that was cool.

Let's hope those 2 new movies which are supposedly being made are cool too. What happened to them, does anyone know? Did they get scrapped?

Danny Fingeroth (Remember Him?) Said That The Movie Never Seemed To Know Whether It Wanted To Be Serious Or Satirical.

Fettastic said:
People really crapped on this movie and I never understood why. I liked it a lot.

A while later I went to a stand up comedy act and the comic said "I just saw Judge Dredd. What a piece of shit that movie was huh?" Of course he didn't give any reasons why. Nobody ever does.

The voice Sly used wasn't what i had imagined. But then I knew the character was based on Clint Eastwood. Yeah the Lawmasters flew, which they didn't in the comics, but I thought that was cool.

Let's hope those 2 new movies which are supposedly being made are cool too. What happened to them, does anyone know? Did they get scrapped?

They couldn't get financial backing and so are on the back burner. Good thing too really, they would have been a big screen equivalent of RoboCop Prime Directives.

Kevin Roegele said:
They couldn't get financial backing and so are on the back burner. Good thing too really, they would have been a big screen equivalent of RoboCop Prime Directives.

I just wanted to see Judge Death onscreen. That would have been really cool.

Fettastic said:

Me too. So much better than Rico. :o

Kable24 said:
I saw this piece of garbage in theaters. God, what a waste. I didn't mind Stallone as Dredd, but the story was just played out.

This is what happens whyen they base a "story" on surveys. Surveys showed that Audiences in general like to see a stallone character hit the bottom and claw his way up. so thats what they did.

Great Pity, cos Stallone was perfect for the part, IMO. Visually, it was stunning. Mega city one looked incredible when they showed the firast real shot of it. dredds costume looked good (though leather would have been better, imo), although having the eagle shoulder pad looked odd as it wasnt on the others.
they really missed a chance for some decent satire on the idea of a totalitarian state....in a way, the best judge dredd movie was robocop.

Judge Dredd is a gem, it allows me the opportunity to exceed the posted speed limits. When the passenger remarks, "slow down! You're breaking the law!!!!" I slowly turn my head towards them and scream..."DA LAW!!!! I AM DA LAW!!!!!

if judge dredd isn't shown killing someone for littering then he's not judge dredd.

The movie is so cheesy and stupid, you have to love it. :up:

Fettastic said:

"Gaze into the face of Death!"

"Gaze into the FIST of DREAD!!"

:D:up:

Kevin Roegele said:

:eek:

Judge Dredd is not even about sci-fi! It's satire! And it's had superb writers and artists.

Yeah, I bet this guy hates the hell out of Dr. Strangelove. :o

I love this movie, I thought Sly portrayed Dredd to perfection and I liked how he slowly humanized him in the context of the script.
All in all it was an exciting action movie with humour. Great fun.

the film was alright but they ruined so much of the book

dredd is just hershys friend if he must end up with anyone its anderson

fregie in film 5,5 whiny b**ch, fergie in comic 6,5 muscle bound baseball bat swinging king of the big smelly

the angel gang where the hell was fink and his rat

the rico story was tore apart

and where the hell was even a teaser of the dark judges

dredd doesnt take his helmit off cause of some statement its cause he's as ugly and scarred as hell. the few times he has taken it off the preps have screamed in terror and the image has been censored

the film is fun and is a decent dumb film, but strays to far with all the changes

the_ultimate_evil said:
dredd doesnt take his helmit off cause of some statement its cause he's as ugly and scarred as hell.

Yes, but that's only in the context of the story to justify Dredd keeping his helmet on all the time.

You can't have Dredd actually say in the comic, "I'm never taking my helmet off because it represents my lack of identity."

I never understood the hatred of the film. It's not perfect, but dammit if it wasn't fun, exceptionally well-made for the time (1995, right?). The production design was fabulous, costumes were superb, great action sequences, and the score fits the tone and setting of the film perfectly. I had no problem with the story, and I thought Rico was a great villain. Armand Asante playing him really helped.

I thought that all the actors did a pretty good job with a subpar script.

One of my favorite lines was that automated food vendor selling recycled food. I think that it was something like "eat recycled food, its good for the environment and its okay for you". :)

I always thought the comic satire could be silly anyway. 'OH NOES!!! THE LAW IS FACIST! THOSE POOR LIL CRIMINALS SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO DO WHATEVER THEY WANT :( :( :( :( :('. You could call pretty much anything facist. I mean policeman are facist, so are judges, so why bother with the law at all? Make everyone be allowed to do whatever the hell they want! Scrap the law! Yayness! and everyone will be happy and free and the world will be perfect :rolleyes:

Even though Judge Dredd was Clint Eastwood's "Dirty Harry" character taken to it's logical conclusion.

So you don't like Judge Dredd because it's satirizes law enforcement?

You do know everything in the world is open grounds for satire.

Addendum said:
So you don't like Judge Dredd because it's satirizes law enforcement?

You do know everything in the world is open grounds for satire.

Yeah, I don't say they shouldn't be allowed to, but it's very stupid.

Yeah I'd much rather society run amok with no laws, wouldn't you?

These people don't think things through.

So satirizing law enforcement means you want no laws?

Sorry. I don't buy that.

The role of law enforcement is to enforce the laws. "To serve and protect". Some people in law enforcement are corrupt. Before the slow kids complain, "Some" does not mean "All". They give everyone a bad reputation. Some take their role too seriously, and lose the spirit of the law while enforcing the law.

Those that I described deserve to be satired, mocked and demand nothing but contempt.

Horrorfan said:
I always thought the comic satire could be silly anyway. 'OH NOES!!! THE LAW IS FACIST! THOSE POOR LIL CRIMINALS SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO DO WHATEVER THEY WANT :( :( :( :( :('. You could call pretty much anything facist. I mean policeman are facist, so are judges, so why bother with the law at all? Make everyone be allowed to do whatever the hell they want! Scrap the law! Yayness! and everyone will be happy and free and the world will be perfect :rolleyes:

The film Judge Dredd takes all the meaning, all the satire, all the substance of the comicbook - and disgards it. Judge Dredd the movie only takes the visuals and basic characterisations from the comics (2000AD by the way) and nothing else. It turns it into a dumb action movie, while 2000AD many times parodied dumb action movies.

And you're happy about that? You prefer it that way?

Kevin Roegele said:

The film Judge Dredd takes all the meaning, all the satire, all the substance of the comicbook - and disgards it. Judge Dredd the movie only takes the visuals and basic characterisations from the comics (2000AD by the way) and nothing else. It turns it into a dumb action movie, while 2000AD many times parodied dumb action movies.

And you're happy about that? You prefer it that way?

The movie does have substance...did you read the first post of the thread?

READ IT AGAIN, SLOWLY.

If you ask me, taking the piss out of law enforcement is pretty stupid in the first place. So they make fun of the idea of law enforcment, but what alternatives do you have to it then?

The comic mocked the idea of law enforcement, not some corrupt individuals. It's not SYSTEMS that are corrupt, its the people behind it that become corrupted (which is what the movie tries to say, if you watch it with your brain on), which is far more intelligent and thought out than mocking the law and all that it stands for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"