Why Judge Dredd is an underrated gem..

Oh noes. They mocked law enforcement. Do you need shelter while the universe explodes?

Addendum said:
Oh noes. They mocked law enforcement. Do you need shelter while the universe explodes?

I think they should scrap the law, it's facist. Make everything legal, rape, miurder, etc. At least its not facist, right?

Dude, it's just satire. It's not the writers fault that it goes over your head.

Horrorfan said:
The movie does have substance...did you read the first post of the thread?

READ IT AGAIN, SLOWLY.

If you ask me, taking the piss out of law enforcement is pretty stupid in the first place. So they make fun of the idea of law enforcment, but what alternatives do you have to it then?

The comic mocked the idea of law enforcement, not some corrupt individuals. It's not SYSTEMS that are corrupt, its the people behind it that become corrupted (which is what the movie tries to say, if you watch it with your brain on), which is far more intelligent and thought out than mocking the law and all that it stands for.

I've never read the books but nonetheless you seem to have the IQ of a peanut or some other inanimate object. I mean I haven't even read the book and I can tell you that your an idiot who can't even grasp the obvious meaning. It's not saying that you shouldn't have law, it saying that things if taken too far, too strict this is what you get. You obvious don't get the point of satire, satire is taking the extreme and seeing the humor in it. That is a far more intelligent piece of satire than what your trying to put out, the idea you put out is not satire it's merely common sense. Of course people corrupt systems, systems are made up of people. Nonetheless Judge Dredd when I saw it when I was a kid I loved it for it's visuals and cheezy plot, I'd probably still love it for those same reasons. Also you don't **** with Judd Nelson!

Addendum said:
Dude, it's just satire. It's not the writers fault that it goes over your head.

Satire = you making fun of ideas and stuff you don't agree with. I don't recall anyone using satire for something they love and agree with. I could be wrong, but look at all the people who make fun of Bush and his government with satire....I doubt they are saying 'only kidding, he's a great prez really LOLZ!!!"

Movies: shut up, C*ckmunch.

Judge Dredd is a satire of Dirty Harry Callahan and other so-called "dirty cops", taken to it's logical extreme.

The band Laibach is a satire of fascism and totalitarianism taken to it's logical extreme.

ooo, some kid said cockmuch. wow

Horrorfan said:
Satire = you making fun of ideas and stuff you don't agree with. I don't recall anyone using satire for something they love and agree with. I could be wrong, but look at all the people who make fun of Bush and his government with satire....I doubt they are saying 'only kidding, he's a great prez really LOLZ!!!"

Movies: shut up, C*ckmunch.

I don't make fun of your opinion, I make fun of your ignorance...

I think they should scrap the law, it's facist. Make everything legal, rape, miurder, etc. At least its not facist, right?

Society is not perfect, Life isn't perfect, and from that derives humor. SImply because something is insulted or is not perfect does not mean it should be thrown out completely.

I been meaning to get into Judge Dredd for a while is there TPB that I should start off with?

Addendum said:
Judge Dredd is a satire of Dirty Harry Callahan and other so-called "dirty cops", taken to it's logical extreme.

The band Laibach is a satire of fascism and totalitarianism taken to it's logical extreme.

ooo, some kid said cockmuch. wow

Like I say, I have no problem with the satire, even if I dont agree with it, I was just glad to see the movie took the message and made it a little more cerebral and less of a joke.

Judge Dredd had some cool stories, so I don't doubt that, but I personally think cops like Dredd kick ass; take no b.s. from criminals, whereas at the moment, in england at least, the law protects criminals as much as it does the comman man.

Why Can't We Disagree Without Resorting To Ad Hominum Remarks?

Chris Wallace said:
Why Can't We Disagree Without Resorting To Ad Hominum Remarks?

Because fighting sometimes is simply just more fun :)

Movies205 said:
Because fighting sometimes is simply just more fun :)

Damn right :up:

I don't think anyone means any harm by it.

Movies205 said:
I been meaning to get into Judge Dredd for a while is there TPB that I should start off with?
Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files.

They're similar in style to Marvel's Essentials series, and DC's Showcase collections. They contain every Judge Dredd story in chronological order.

I just found out about it today, and I've not seen them anywhere

Horrorfan said:
Like I say, I have no problem with the satire, even if I dont agree with it, I was just glad to see the movie took the message and made it a little more cerebral and less of a joke.

Judge Dredd had some cool stories, so I don't doubt that, but I personally think cops like Dredd kick ass; take no b.s. from criminals, whereas at the moment, in england at least, the law protects criminals as much as it does the comman man.

The point of Judge Dredd, from what I gather, isn't mocking law enforcement but showing the logical conclusion to a "dirty cop" like Dirty Harry is a cop that is essentially worse than the criminals he or she captures or kills. It's a warning against it, rather than an cry for the abolishment of law enforcement as we know it.

Horrorfan said:
Damn right :up:

I don't think anyone means any harm by it.

Yeah most def., I mean it's the frickin internet what the hell's the point other than to go full force with what you think, thanks to the anonymity of the internet. ANd plus I think I somewhere along the line misconstrued what Horrorfan actually said... to be honest :(

Its no problem.

I love Judge Dredd, I just dug the movie did it differently.

There was a Judge Dredd mag for young kids (about 13 or so) out witht he movie which I loved but I have only read a 'real' dredd story once or twice, one where he beat up batman and i have judge dredd vs aliens on order (its supposed to be awesome.)

does anyone know good judge death stories? i love the videogame, and I heard judge dredd nuked a city once...whats the story behind that?

Addendum said:
Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files.

They're similar in style to Marvel's Essentials series, and DC's Showcase collections. They contain every Judge Dredd story in chronological order.

I just found out about it today, and I've not seen them anywhere

Apparently I have to import that which kind of sucks but whatever, cool :up:

Movies205 said:
Apparently I have to import that which kind of sucks but whatever, cool :up:
Volume 1 is on Amazon.co.uk for 10.49 in British pounds, about $19.32 US dollars.

Volume 2 - 9.32 British pounds, $17 US dollars

Volume 3 - same price.

Premeired along with Batman Returns.Me,my brother and my best friend,saw both movies on the same day, thought Judge was better than Batman Returns.

nightwing06 said:
Premeired along with Batman Returns.Me,my brother and my best friend,saw both movies on the same day, thought Judge was better than Batman Returns.

You mean Batman Forever.

Horrorfan said:
I have only read a 'real' dredd story once or twice,

Well, there you go then. I doubt you could really concieve what Dredd is all about after reading a couple of stories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"