Infinity War Why Terra/Earth?

Y0nder

Civilian
Reaction score
I know this has been talked about before. But it still bothers me how all the Infinity Stones just happen to gravitate towards earth, with such a vast universe to explore and look into. Do you think the movie will give us a satisfying explanation why? Should it? Discuss.

Probably not, it's just one of those "we wouldn't have a movie otherwise" thing. You need everyone congregating somewhere, dramatically.

Another point...........

why did thanos give the scepter with mind stone to loki if his main goal was to consolidate all the infinity stones for his gauntlet at the first place ?

I'm guessing that's where the Eternals story will come in, they are rumored for Phase 4. Would also obviously involve the Celstials which have already been introduced in Guardians.

Hey I’ve never been anywhere else but I think earth is very nice! Why wouldn’t he want to come here?

Another point...........

why did thanos give the scepter with mind stone to loki if his main goal was to consolidate all the infinity stones for his gauntlet at the first place ?

That was pretty incompetent of him....Also why is Thanos attacking now? After he said he will do it himself a while ago? Does the recent deaths of the Ancient One and Odin have anything to do with it?

The reason: the Avengers are a largely Earth based team and they are the stars of the movie.

Yes, no stones on Earth no movie
But for fun....
Blame Odin, he sent the Space Stone/Tesseract to hide it on Earth in the first place. Had he sent it anywhere else, Red Skull doesn't find it, it doesn't end up on the sea floor, Stark/SHIELD find it....fast forward - Loki doesn't come looking for it with mind stone via Thanos
However, the time stone got placed here at some point so there is that to consider too, so maybe Thanos still would have came?

Marvel comics has an underlying explanation as to why Earth seems to be at the centre of everything: the biological life has capacity for mutation, innovation and evolution that doesn't exist on other more advanced planets, and therefore merits their interest; in the MCU, this is alluded to by things like the Inhumans, the need for Asgardians to protect Earth as one of its "realms," the visitation to Earth by one Celestial and likely even more, etc. So just by being a high-traffic area it makes it likely that the stones have passed Earth's way at some point. And our inherent need to possess and exploit resources we don't quite understand means that should a stone pass our way, it's going to be kept here (i.e., the space, mind and time stones).

I know this has been talked about before. But it still bothers me how all the Infinity Stones just happen to gravitate towards earth, with such a vast universe to explore and look into. Do you think the movie will give us a satisfying explanation why? Should it? Discuss.

Well its not like they gravitated to Earth on their own. And at this point, only 2 were on Earth prior to the start of the MCU: The space stone, which we know Odin hid on earth and the Time Stone which we don't know how it ended up there...though its possible Agamotto brought it to Earth from another dimension or planet. The rest never originated on Earth.

Another point...........

Gotta spend money to make money :tmm:

Marvel comics has an underlying explanation as to why Earth seems to be at the centre of everything: the biological life has capacity for mutation, innovation and evolution that doesn't exist on other more advanced planets, and therefore merits their interest; in the MCU, this is alluded to by things like the Inhumans, the need for Asgardians to protect Earth as one of its "realms," the visitation to Earth by one Celestial and likely even more, etc. So just by being a high-traffic area it makes it likely that the stones have passed Earth's way at some point. And our inherent need to possess and exploit resources we don't quite understand means that should a stone pass our way, it's going to be kept here (i.e., the space, mind and time stones).

That kind of make sense...I think?

That kind of make sense...I think?

From what we've seen of the other planets, it seems the worlds more evolved than Earth are either in a state of decay, or are becoming complacent and stagnant (Asgardians spend all their time fighting and drinking, Xandarians can barely defend their own people, and the Kree can't keep a lid on their own genocidal maniacs). I can see why there'd be so much interest in Earth, where so much change (wise and unwise) is happening. Basically a relatively weak and primitive simian species invented a formula for creating a physically perfect soldier, and within 60 years managed to turn that into a method for creating an unstoppable mutated humanoid that can beat the strongest Asgardian with his bare hands. Even if humans didn't start collecting and poking at every infinity stone they could find, that itself would merit attention.

From what we've seen of the other planets, it seems the worlds more evolved than Earth are either in a state of decay, or are becoming complacent and stagnant (Asgardians spend all their time fighting and drinking, Xandarians can barely defend their own people, and the Kree can't keep a lid on their own genocidal maniacs). I can see why there'd be so much interest in Earth, where so much change (wise and unwise) is happening. Basically a relatively weak and primitive simian species invented a formula for creating a physically perfect soldier, and within 60 years managed to turn that into a method for creating an unstoppable mutated humanoid that can beat the strongest Asgardian with his bare hands. Even if humans didn't start collecting and poking at every infinity stone they could find, that itself would merit attention.

Ah good one. I'm reminded of Thor's dialogue in TA: "Your work with the Tesseract is what drew Loki to it. It's a sign to the other realms that Earth is ready for a higher form of war."

Not to mention the rise of other superhumans, as Vision said "Our very strength invites challenge."

To my knowledge only TWO stones are on earth at the start of Infinity War. The Mind and Time stones respectably.

The others are off earth.

The same reason a magical collection of balls that grant any wish ever happened to be on Earth.

As already stated, only two stones were actually on Earth at the start of all this - assuming that the soul stone isn't in Wakanda, in which case three of them are here.

As for why now; I would imagine Thanos needed to amass an army; he seemingly isn't in any rush here - at least until he decides he's had enough of failure. He had counted on Loki conquering Earth with the Mind Stone once before; presumably he'd of then acquired the Time (and Soul?) Stone(s), and he expected that Ronan would deliver on the Power Stone. He'd already be three or four up at this point.

Thanos probably needed the Reality Stone to be released before acquiring it; considering how long it's been dormant (the age of the dark elves), it's quite likely he simply had no way of finding it.

I would imagine Asgard [did] play a part in protecting the universe from cosmic threats, but now with Odin - and more importantly, Asgard, gone, Thanos probably saw an opening. He probably couldn't directly invade Earth without Odin and the Asgardians getting involved, especially if it was through universe-altering events. Maybe Thanos had signed some sort of agreement (if you'll humour the concept), and Loki (and the Chitauri) army may not have been recognised as under Thanos, so he could have claimed ignorance (if confronted).

Hope that last bit makes sense...

I havent watched Thor - Dark World in quite some time - is the Aether on earth, or is it in another realm? I know it infects Jane via that wormhole/loop thing but i dont remember all the details of it.

I havent watched Thor - Dark World in quite some time - is the Aether on earth, or is it in another realm? I know it infects Jane via that wormhole/loop thing but i dont remember all the details of it.

Jane brings it to Earth, but it was elsewhere. She got to it due to the Convergence.

I'm hoping Thanos orchestrated this somehow because he thought Earth would be an easy place to conquer.

I think some unfortunate events lead Thanos to earth. Infinity stones were never meant to be on earth, may be with the exception of time stone.

Powerstone is on Xander, Mind stone was with Thanos himself, reality stone was hidden somewhere at unknown place(not earth, there was dimensional opening on earth that led to ether), Space stone was in Odin's vault and soul stone is still hidden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"