World Why wasn't SkyFire made more of a main character?

Miss Webb

Sidekick
Reaction score
I thought he had the coolest look, plus the controversial history with both the decepticons and autobots. It could have been played up more. Plus, he had lots of potential storylines. Starscream's (ex) best friend, then to the autobots, then Megatron trying to get him back. In fact, I think Megatron would have made him his second over Starscream if he'd gotten his mitts on Skyfire. But after looking impressive in his debut, they kept neutralizing him in a lot of fights. I think they didn't want him to 'show up' Optimus Prime. Before Skylinks, he was the only autobot who could achieve orbital velocity and more. Shoot, they even downplayed his power after he was established. He would have made a great general over the aerial bots.

Then he wasn't in the movie, and I have no idea what happened after that.

Are you refering to the original cartoon? Jetfire got some pretty cool story lines in the comics.

Well, I think it was because he didn't really have a toy to back him up.

I thought he had the coolest look, plus the controversial history with both the decepticons and autobots. It could have been played up more. Plus, he had lots of potential storylines. Starscream's (ex) best friend, then to the autobots, then Megatron trying to get him back. In fact, I think Megatron would have made him his second over Starscream if he'd gotten his mitts on Skyfire. But after looking impressive in his debut, they kept neutralizing him in a lot of fights. I think they didn't want him to 'show up' Optimus Prime. Before Skylinks, he was the only autobot who could achieve orbital velocity and more. Shoot, they even downplayed his power after he was established. He would have made a great general over the aerial bots.

Then he wasn't in the movie, and I have no idea what happened after that.
I've heard a few versions and theories of the back story on this one. Hasbro for various reasons turned Jetfire into Skyfire, in short form.

In long form. Hasbro licensed transforming Japanese robot toys from companies other than Takara. ToyCo (Shockwave) and ToyBox (Omega Supreme and Skylynx) were too. But by far the biggest source of non-Takara G1's were Takatoku. The deluxe insecticons (Barrage, Chop Shop, Ransack, Venom), the autobot deluxe vehicles (Roadbuster and Whirl) and Jetfire were all their products originally. So why the problems, well either at the same time or just after Hasbro went on it's licensing fest of Takatoku molds Bandai bought them out. And an american company, Harmony Gold, dubbed Macross, Armoured cavalry of the southern cross, and some other anime into Robotech. Then made plans to release tie in toys. Jetfire was originally a Macross VF-1S super Valkyrie (some Jetfire's still have the Macross UN air force symbol on them).

These factors all caused problems because. Takara (who was going to launch TF's in Japan) didn't want a character that was their main competitions toy paraded around in the tie in cartoon. Same was true for all the other non-Takara TF's but Shockwave. As he got Japanese release. On the north american side while Hasbro had exclusive license to releasing the Valkyrie toy as Jetfire they didn't have exclusive rights to animation of him, Harmony Gold did.

All these factors led to Jetfire's animation model (which can be seen in his and Shockwaves TV spot) and name being changed. To Skyfire. His lack of a toy in addition to the legal snafu around him led to him being dropped for season 2. A similar fate befell Reflector.

Someone had to do this, and ShadowBoxing didn't want too. So I did.

Are you refering to the original cartoon? Jetfire got some pretty cool story lines in the comics.

Yeah, I was referring to the G1 tv show...just seemed liked they didn't know what to do with this powerful transformer with ties to both autobots and decepticons.

Anyone know good issues in the comics with SkyFire?

Seems kind of crazy to screw up a good character because of toy modelling, but I guess that's how the transfomer line was driven back in the day.

Still is. Just now Hasbro and Takara always work togehter and make all the products. Even if Hasbro always releases more toys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"