Transformers Should decepticon forces be more divided in their loyalties?

Iceburgeruk

Civilian
Reaction score
I kind of didn`t lihe way in which the cartoon had that everyone but starscream and soundwave was pretty much completly loyal to megatron.

For the movie franchise i think they should have that just a third of the decepticons follow Megatron. A third follow Soundwave. And the final thrid are insupport of Starscream.

This would make sense as you set up that megatron and starscream are equal in influence thereby showing why starscream is unable to overthrow him but also you could then have a subtle alliance between soundwave and megatron with megatron knowing that if soundwave wanted to he could use his influence in starscream`s favor and thereby outgun megatron 2 to 1.

Additionally I always thought that the jet decepticons should have been more in alliance with starscream. Starscream never seemed in the cartoon to be a valid threat to megatron as he had not support at all.

Soundwave was always INCREDIBLY Loyal to Megatron. Particularly in the cartoon...in the cartoon he was more loyal to Megatron than in other incarnations. Even in the comics Soundwave is very very loyal to Megatron (Soundwave once showed up, fought the army, and refueled a non-functional Megatron just to bring Megatron back online).

Not every Decepticon was happy with Megatron, but most knew Megatron was a better leader than Starscream. Starscream proved several times he was a horrible leader. The episode Roll For It comes to mind.

Starscream was obviously never loyal.
Soundwave and his minions were very loyal to Megatron.
Thundercracker had doubts about being a Decepticon, but still followed Megatron.
The Insecticons were never loyal to Megatron.
The Stunticons never cared about following Megatron, but they didn't totally go against him either, knowing how powerful he was.

Heh, I always liked how Megatron and Starscream always bickered.

WalkingDead said:
Soundwave was always INCREDIBLY Loyal to Megatron. Particularly in the cartoon...in the cartoon he was more loyal to Megatron than in other incarnations. Even in the comics Soundwave is very very loyal to Megatron (Soundwave once showed up, fought the army, and refueled a non-functional Megatron just to bring Megatron back online).

Not every Decepticon was happy with Megatron, but most knew Megatron was a better leader than Starscream. Starscream proved several times he was a horrible leader. The episode Roll For It comes to mind.

Starscream was obviously never loyal.
Soundwave and his minions were very loyal to Megatron.
Thundercracker had doubts about being a Decepticon, but still followed Megatron.
The Insecticons were never loyal to Megatron.
The Stunticons never cared about following Megatron, but they didn't totally go against him either, knowing how powerful he was.

Fair enough but i was simply thinking that if starscream has no support and if megatron has all the support then it might come across in a live action movie as being a little bit simplistic. I thought that by throwing more decepticons behind starscream and making soundwave`s loyalties a bit more shaky then it would make the decepticons more interesting and intrigueing for the audience.

Thye could also alter the comics and cartoon soundwave`s unwavering loyalty to simply being a version of him where he plays off both starscream and megatron, silently revellling a little in the power he has over both of them with his crucial third of decepticon support.

Also the movie should probably not have every five minutes starscream tries to take over and fails miserably. It would make him into a laughable figure you see. And very few tf fans want the studio to think of starscream as the comic relief character. What they probably should have is that starscream rarely if ever at all tries to take over and simply does what he does the rest of time in the cartoon. Mocks megatron`s tactics without suggesting a sensible alternative.

(And on a related point glance over at the sequels board. No one seems to have noticed my poll about what should be included in the second film. If you simply don`t care at this point then it doesn`t matter.)

Iceburgeruk said:
Fair enough but i was simply thinking that if starscream has no support and if megatron has all the support then it might come across in a live action movie as being a little bit simplistic. I thought that by throwing more decepticons behind starscream and making soundwave`s loyalties a bit more shaky then it would make the decepticons more interesting and intrigueing for the audience.

Thye could also alter the comics and cartoon soundwave`s unwavering loyalty to simply being a version of him where he plays off both starscream and megatron, silently revellling a little in the power he has over both of them with his crucial third of decepticon support.

Also the movie should probably not have every five minutes starscream tries to take over and fails miserably. It would make him into a laughable figure you see. And very few tf fans want the studio to think of starscream as the comic relief character. What they probably should have is that starscream rarely if ever at all tries to take over and simply does what he does the rest of time in the cartoon. Mocks megatron`s tactics without suggesting a sensible alternative.

(And on a related point glance over at the sequels board. No one seems to have noticed my poll about what should be included in the second film. If you simply don`t care at this point then it doesn`t matter.)

I never said to make Starscream comic relief, that's not a good idea. That's blatantly crap. He should be cunning and treacherous. I assume he might even wait until Megatron is weak and attempt to take him out during the final moments of the 3rd Act. That is something Starscream would do. Starscream shouldn't agree with Megatron's tactics. He should in fact go against them...Screamer cares about guile, speed, and fighting with more grace. Megatron is about brute strength, tyranny, and terror.

It's fine if Screamer has Decepticons behind him, supporting his ideals, but the thing is there are only about 6-7 'Cons in this first movie. That's not really much of an army to get behind you for now. Maybe hint that 1 or 2 'Cons aren't totally for Megatron, but not really against him either.

Soundwave is an opportunist, but he's never been one to take command totally. I guess it's fine if they change his loyalties and make him more of an opportunist who wants to lead. But they don't want to have him and Starscream come off as too much alike. Also with only so small of a Decepticon Army in this first film, it's really too much to try to have 3 slowly dividing 'Con Armies. That's my biggest problem with both Starscream and Soundwave being against Megatron...not very many Decepticons and being too much for the first film, let the characters breathe a bit more.

WalkingDead said:
I never said to make Starscream comic relief, that's not a good idea. That's blatantly crap. He should be cunning and treacherous. I assume he might even wait until Megatron is weak and attempt to take him out during the final moments of the 3rd Act. That is something Starscream would do. Starscream shouldn't agree with Megatron's tactics. He should in fact go against them...Screamer cares about guile, speed, and fighting with more grace. Megatron is about brute strength, tyranny, and terror.

It's fine if Screamer has Decepticons behind him, supporting his ideals, but the thing is there are only about 6-7 'Cons in this first movie. That's not really much of an army to get behind you for now. Maybe hint that 1 or 2 'Cons aren't totally for Megatron, but not really against him either.

Soundwave is an opportunist, but he's never been one to take command totally. I guess it's fine if they change his loyalties and make him more of an opportunist who wants to lead. But they don't want to have him and Starscream come off as too much alike. Also with only so small of a Decepticon Army in this first film, it's really too much to try to have 3 slowly dividing 'Con Armies. That's my biggest problem with both Starscream and Soundwave being against Megatron...not very many Decepticons and being too much for the first film, let the characters breathe a bit more.

Yeah i agree entirely. I was meaning if the first film is successful the split within the decepticons loyalties should be mainly expanded upon/ established in the sequels. In the first film it really should just be decepticons vs autobots.

Make Starscream as treacherous as Tarantulas was in Beast Wars and that'd be pretty good by me.

Starscream being traitorous towards Megatron is almost like an inherent character trait for him at this point. it would suck if he WASN'T like that in the movie.

As far as Decepticons not listening to Megatron though, another biggie is Shockwave. In the comics, Shockwave has taken over the Decepticons from Megatron like half a dozen times now. I'm amazed that Megatron keeps letting him live!

Starscream is like the only Transformer that most people recognize on personality alone. You mention him and people are like, "yeah, the one that's the backstabber, right?" It's basically a must that his persona is kept intact.

WalkingDead said:
Even in the comics Soundwave is very very loyal to Megatron

Well, except toward the end of the UK series, where he showed his true colors and partnered with Starscream to overthrow Megatron and Shockwave as leaders of the Decepticons.

But those weren't particularly good stories, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"