• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Will The new Hulk movie be a failure???

As long as this film adds more action without sacrificing a competent script, everything will take care of itself. The Hulk is still a hugely popular character, and whether people think it's a sequel or not won't matter much with a kickass trailer complete with SUPERB CGI! And make no mistake, the cgi will be the deciding factor behind this movie. I thought Ang's film had great f/x with a few shoddy areas, but the general consensus among regular audiences was that the story was too slow and the Hulk looked too fake. I can almost guarantee if the cgi isn't spectacular, this movie will not fare well at all. That may be shallow, but I think that's the reality of this film...

I actually thought the Hulk was quite well animated in "The Hulk"

I didn't like certain creative choices ( like the size and bana-ish face), but I think the actual CGI was very good.

^I did too, as did many other people, but many member of the general audience didnt seem to unfortunately, for whatever reason.

I fear Doc Samson may be right in his assumption.

I do agree that the film can't succeed without superior CGI. That is one of the many worries for me, since it is being produced in such a short time frame.

Most big budget, fx laden films have at least 2 years of production behind them.

Maybe the new Hulk movie will be a failure at the boxoffice... But there's no doubt that this movie will be A LOT better than the first!!!

Domestic: $132,177,234 53.9%
+ Foreign: $113,183,246 46.1%
= Worldwide: $245,360,480

So this is what it has to beat??? It can be done, in fact the movie could be really terrible, but if it has action scenes and all that nonsense it could outperform the original Hulk.

The original Hulk was not what people expect from a comic book film - a pretentious self obsessed art flick - substituting for a comic book movie does not work box office wise. I mean sure it was a beautiful little movie... but most superhero movies (not all) people see for the entertainment value - not to star and marvel at the beauty of it.

This film is already tracking that it may be able to overcome the stigma of the first film and surpass it. Once we get closer and get some demographic tracking - we'll know much better.

As long as this film adds more action without sacrificing a competent script, everything will take care of itself. The Hulk is still a hugely popular character, and whether people think it's a sequel or not won't matter much with a kickass trailer complete with SUPERB CGI! And make no mistake, the cgi will be the deciding factor behind this movie. ... I can almost guarantee if the cgi isn't spectacular, this movie will not fare well at all. That may be shallow, but I think that's the reality of this film...

I do agree that the film can't succeed without superior CGI. That is one of the many worries for me, since it is being produced in such a short time frame. Most big budget, fx laden films have at least 2 years of production behind them.

Speaking of CGI, has anyone watched the trailer for Dragon Wars? Like wow. I didn't even know they were making the movie and, whadayaknow, I click on the banner ad at the top of SHH! and it looks like Transformers all over again - but with dragons instead of machines and a fairy-tale-like element to it. Needless to say, I agree that the quality of TIH's CGI is going to play a bigger role than most people probably think. Transformers has set a new bar - if not signaled the beginning of a new era of CGI - and anything less, I think, will be disappointing. Especially when we're talking about a main character whose sole occupation is smashing things. Click here for the Dragon Wars trailer.

Domestic: $132,177,234 53.9%
+ Foreign: $113,183,246 46.1%
= Worldwide: $245,360,480

So this is what it has to beat??? It can be done, in fact the movie could be really terrible, but if it has action scenes and all that nonsense it could outperform the original Hulk.

The original Hulk was not what people expect from a comic book film - a pretentious self obsessed art flick - substituting for a comic book movie does not work box office wise. I mean sure it was a beautiful little movie... but most superhero movies (not all) people see for the entertainment value - not to star and marvel at the beauty of it.

This film is already tracking that it may be able to overcome the stigma of the first film and surpass it. Once we get closer and get some demographic tracking - we'll know much better.

It should wipe out those #'s.

I thought Dragon Wars looked like cheese.

Some of it does, yeah. But the sheer volume of shots and the overall quality, at least what is discernible in the "Large" version of the trailer, appears pretty good. But you've said this thread is ridiculous - twice - so I don't know why you're posting.

^ I'll admit it looks good for a film that popped up out of nowhere. I never even heard of the movie until I saw the trailer. That's usually a bad thing.

^Same here. I don't make a point to see every movie as soon as it comes out - or at all, for that matter (still haven't seen 300 or Bourne Ultimatum) - but the trailer was a complete surprise for me also, and now I'm thinking I'm gonna call up a friend to see if he wants to see it this Friday. A rare occasion that a movie piques my curiosity like this... but it'll probably suck.

I believe it will be, most people just didn't like the first movie at all.

No, I think he was getting this thread back on-topic, talking about the first Hulk movie. Although, I really don't understand his logic: He believes TIH will be a failure because "most people just didn't like the first movie at all." :huh: Conventional wisdom suggests that if people didn't like the first movie, then they either a.) won't show up for TIH or b.) only stand to have their opinion changed for the better if they DO show up. But the two movies are autonomous of each other, otherwise. If he thinks TIH will be a failure because of the first movie's poor reputation, then he needs to adjust his statement because it's fallacious as it is.

That's why Marvel distanced itself from the 1st film in every way possible. :)

Sorry to say but I had my fill of deep emotions in Ang's Hulk, Now I want to be entertained.

The real failure would be if they emphasise on non-impotant hulk elements such as rage and brawls...

human characters are pretty much the most important element to this story, the hulk and his antics shoudl take a back seat, epsecially any large cgi battle scenes, they are boring
A movie about a big green guy that has the strength to lift an aircraft carrier....rage and brawls not important? Don't get me wrong...the whole movie shouldn't be a smash-fest. ...But it is a movie about a big green guy.

Over-thinking this thing is what almost killed the franchise with Ang Lee's movie. We saw what happened when the "human characters" were the dominant element. (The Hulk wasn't even allowed to speak.) It wasn't pretty. The world yawned. We get movies focusing on human characters every week in theaters. I don't think the world needs another one with a special appearance by the Hulk.

Seems to me it's the Hulk's turn this time. Let's have a movie about the title character for a change instead of one about Bruce Banner.

Shouldn't this thread be titled:

Will Hulk movie Succeed or Fail?

with a poll. :)

I can defintley see this Hulk film having the same mix if not worse reaction than the last one. With Lettier (sp?) directing it and Norton hands on approach, there could be some clashes. But that's not the issue for me. The issue would be if the crew decided to put more of an emphasis on smash em action. Now that's great of your Hulk fan, however look at like this...

If your someone who liked Ang Lee's Hulk, you may feel you have a watered down film with this follow-up.More importantly the general public might have already made there minds up about Hulk beforehand and think its just a typical no-brains action movie with bad CGI.

I'm not saying that's how the film will be, but I could definetly see people thinking like that.
None of this should be a problem. Since so few people liked Ang Lee's film, if this one is seen as different it will be a big plus. Not enough people liked Ang's mess to make a difference at the box office. The more this one is thought of as different the better. As much as I hated Transformers, it made a ton of money with all that mindless action. I would like to see a Hulk movie that could walk the line between Ang's bore-fest and Michael Bay's frenetic paced mess. There must be a happy medium there.

Actually, the marketing of the first one wasn't an issue. That's why it had an excellent opening weekend. Terrible word of mouth afterwards killed the film.

Based on the marketing, people expected a fun action filled movie. Instead they got a very deep, and very slow psychological thriller with some fantasy elements.

I still remember seeing the film with my two nephews (7 and 9). They were so excited to go based on the commercials and toys.

Poor little guys were practically asleep before the hulk made his first appearance an hour into the movie.

The marketing of the first film was actually quite good. That's why it's going to be so hard to convince the general public that this character deserves a second chance.
Very very true. Same thing happened with my nephew. He was practically dragging me to go see it. The theaters were packed. It had a great opening weekend. Unfortunately, people told other people what they had seen. D'oh!!

I honestly knew nothing about this film before this week. I looked it up, saw the concept art for Hulk and he looked fantastic! Then I learned that the director of my favorite martial arts film is directing this and I love Tim Roth. I can't wait! I hope it does good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"