The Avengers Will there/Should there be only one Avengers film?

Captain America

Civilian
Reaction score
It's a question I keep thinking of. Will we need more then one Avengers film? Thor and Cap are 2011, The Avengers is 2012 - After Avengers, will we need a Thor or Cap Sequel? Should Avengers disband at the end of the film to never return? After Avengers will anyone want to see Thor 2, or Cap 2? or should they just Continue with Avengers and not worry about any more solo films? could there even be multiple threats so immense that they would have to reform the Avengers more then once? I'm really not sure - Personally I'd love to see multiple Avengers films, but I don't want anything to be dragged on more then it needs to be.

There will OBVIOUSLY be more of both. Why would they want to stop making money?

We need an Avengers movie every 3-4 years. Between Cap/Thor, I think one, but not both, will get a sequel in 2014ish.

Keep makin' Avengers and solo films! Keep 'em coming Marvel!!

introduce other Avengers onto the team so Avengers doesnt come off too much as a sequel to IM, Thor and Cap

There probably won't be a storyline reason to continue with another Avengers movie, but there will also likely be sequels.

Yup, just make trilogys while rotating members and have solos simultaneously. The more the merrier.

As long as they keep the quality then make more of EVERYTHING! No limits!!

Ideally I'd like to see a trio of trilogies in Cap, Thor, and Avengers. The Iron Man Trilogy is almost locked in stone, and the Hulk trilogy is almost 100% sure to not happen. Marvel needs all three franchises to be multi-film franchises. These are the only big characters they have the rights to, and they have to make the most of it.

Luke Cage, Iron Fist etc have no chance of being summer tentpoles. Marvel WILL make sequels to Cap, Thor and Avengers as long as their first outtings are successful; not necessarily Iron Man level, but maybe between IM and TIH, somewhere in that 400 million ww range. If Cap and Thor can do that, there will be sequels.

Avengers on the other hand will need something more; I imagine Avengers will realistically have a budget somewhere in the neighborhood of 200-250 million, so it would need to do more to be considered worth the hassle of getting a team together (I'd say it'd have to do at least 100 million more than Iron Man to be considered worth doing again; otherwise why bother?)

So basically to get sequels:

Thor & Cap need to do 350-500 million worldwide.
Avengers needs to do well over half a billion worldwide

Ideally I'd like to see a trio of trilogies in Cap, Thor, and Avengers. The Iron Man Trilogy is almost locked in stone, and the Hulk trilogy is almost 100% sure to not happen. Marvel needs all three franchises to be multi-film franchises. These are the only big characters they have the rights to, and they have to make the most of it.

Luke Cage, Iron Fist etc have no chance of being summer tentpoles. Marvel WILL make sequels to Cap, Thor and Avengers as long as their first outtings are successful; not necessarily Iron Man level, but maybe between IM and TIH, somewhere in that 400 million ww range. If Cap and Thor can do that, there will be sequels.

Avengers on the other hand will need something more; I imagine Avengers will realistically have a budget somewhere in the neighborhood of 200-250 million, so it would need to do more to be considered worth the hassle of getting a team together (I'd say it'd have to do at least 100 million more than Iron Man to be considered worth doing again; otherwise why bother?)

So basically to get sequels:

Thor & Cap need to do 350-500 million worldwide.
Avengers needs to do well over half a billion worldwide

Luke Cage and Iron Fist may not start out as tentpoles, but if each are surprise hits, and Marvel decides to put them together in one buddy flick like Power Man and Iron Fist, then that could be a big crowd draw. If Iron Fist wants to be an audience puller, it better not have the uncharismatic Ray Park in the title role, as fans have often advocated in the past.

Yeah Avengers needs to do around 750-800 at least otherwise they need to seriously scale back future sequels. I'll say Thor does 400ish and gets one more sequel, but I don't see a trilogy. The only way I think Cap gets a sequel is if they merge the SHIELD movie and a modern day Cap sequel into one. I don't see a stand alone Cap sequel, though I hope I am wrong. He's similar to the Hulk in that the character has too much baggage from the typical stereotypes associated with him. Those characters that go outside the box, ala Dr. Strange, Thor, MAYBE Namor if done right, can all be suprise hits.

I'd love to see more than one film, assuming they can do it right.

We need an Avengers movie every 3-4 years. Between Cap/Thor, I think one, but not both, will get a sequel in 2014ish.

Kind of would like to see:

2013: IM3
2014: Captain America and SHIELD (a modern sequel with Cap and SHIELD)
2015: Thor 2
2016: Avengers 2
2017: Captain America and SHIELD 2
2018: Thor 3
2019: Avengers 3
2020: Hopefully they'll have F4, SM or X-Men back.

I agree with you about merging Captain America and SHIELD into one franchise; SHIELD needs a big player to make their movies interesting; that would be Cap. They share TONS of villains, and Cap's love interest is a SHIELD agent. Fury, Agent 13, The Falcon, and Black Widow would be all the supporting cast Modern Cap would need.

The first 17 or so issues of Brubaker's run was essentially Captain America and SHIELD, and that run brought Cap back to the forefront of comics (The only comic book printed that's sales are up 30% from 5 years ago.)

I'm definitely part of the more the merrier crowd but don't really care for the shield spin-off more than once. Thor , TIH , and Captain America all deserve seperate sequels as well. Iron Man can stop at IM3 and hopefully Avengers turns into a franchise and we get three of those . Hopefully they rotate some members for each sequel and we get something like Black Panther in Avengers 2 replacing Hulk's presence , something to that affect.

I agree with you about merging Captain America and SHIELD into one franchise; SHIELD needs a big player to make their movies interesting; that would be Cap. They share TONS of villains, and Cap's love interest is a SHIELD agent. Fury, Agent 13, The Falcon, and Black Widow would be all the supporting cast Modern Cap would need.

The first 17 or so issues of Brubaker's run was essentially Captain America and SHIELD, and that run brought Cap back to the forefront of comics (The only comic book printed that's sales are up 30% from 5 years ago.)

That would be amazing!

The problem with it is that the SHIELD/Cap merger just has a cheap Avengers ripoff written all over it. I am not saying it can't be a tentpole, but it just may seem like a money grab. There is obviously tons of story and overlap there, but I am against oversaturating every other summer with Captain America, even if First Avenger/Avengers are smash hits. If they don't use Cap in every single Avenger sequel, then it might work. If there is an Avengers sequel, it needs to have a completely different feel to it.

And Marvel needs to get off their asses and give Heroes for Hire a shot. Not sure about a Black Panther movie unless it is a really cheap, low budget throw away done with some reverence. Dr. Strange can also work.

Last edited:
I think you need to be consious of RDJ's age when making these. I hope there's more than one, but he will be 47 when Avengers comes out. Now Sean Connery played Bond well into his 50's, and Roger Moore I think until he was 60, although Moore looked rediculous in View to a Kill jumping into bed with a girl who could have been his daughter.

In any case, I think Downey could play Stark at 50, but you need to play it carefully so it doesn't look like an old dude jumping into his suit of iron.

The problem with it is that the SHIELD/Cap merger just has a cheap Avengers ripoff written all over it. I am not saying it can't be a tentpole, but it just may seem like a money grab. There is obviously tons of story and overlap there, but I am against oversaturating the every other summer with Captain America, even if First Avenger/Avengers are smash hits. If they don't use Cap in every single Avenger sequel, then it might work. If there is an Avengers sequel, it needs to have a completely different feel to it.

And Marvel needs to get off their asses and give Heroes for Hire a shot. Not sure about a Black Panther movie unless it is a really cheap, low budget throw away done with some reverence. Dr. Strange can also work.

Black Panther and "really cheap" don't work together. BP should at least have a 50 million dollar budget.

Heroes for Hire on the other hand, you can make for peanuts. Granted I don't give a **** about Luke Cage, so I wouldn't want any serious money diverted into a film centering around him. He's just a really uninspired character to me.

Last edited:

By 2020, I'd want a complete reboot of the series so we can see a complete MMU. Hopefully, they wouldn't retread what we've already seen.

I say there should be an Avengers trilogy.
1st movie- Hulk & Loki
2nd- Ultron & Kang
3rd- Skrulls

Yes, there should be sequels and there will be sequels.

There probably will be. If this sucks, then no. But if it's awesome bad place yes! Either way, if it makes alot of money we will be getting sequels.

I'm not sure. I think after Avengers they should go back to their solo movies. Like the comics. They meet up for some big event (Avengers) then they are back in their solo comics with less emphasis on SHIELD/Avengers and more emphasis on their own villains and mythos.

In Iron Man 3 focus on Mandarin for instance.

Thor 2 introduce Beta Ray Bill or something.

RDJ won't be in for the sequels. I think he will quit after Iron Man 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"