Deadpool Will This Movie take place in the late 1970s?

Dasher10

I'm like Deadpool IRL
Reaction score
I feel like it probably will as a prelude to Apocalypse. The opening credits should be a parody of the opening of Saturday Night Fever complete with Stayin' Alive playing. Plus Deadpool doesn't age.

Flashbacks might. But the main narrative will more then likely be in the present. Besides tieing Wade to Weapon X there is no reason for it to take place all in the past. This film shouldn't be a prelude to Apocalypse regardless, and I highly doubt they would sacrifice modern pop culture and references for it. The script clearly does not take place in the 70s and I believe Lifeld said much of the script minus the third act hasn't been changed much.

The credits in the script are perfect imo and feature a song from the 80s which is also in the test footage. Can't imagine them changing that either. I think it would be funny if they did a Bond type intro with him, maybe Dazzler is singing and it's full of cosplaying X-gals.

Last edited:
Nah, I think it'll be a present day thing. Gives them a chance to use Cable in some capacity, and crossover with the original cast if need be. Especially makes sense for Wolverine to at least appear (the every film record notwithstanding)

It's interesting as we don't know where things will go in terms of era for this, Gambit or post-Apocalypse X-Men movies. They could all be in the 90s upwards or after Apocalypse they could jump ahead to the 2030s

The script points to this being in the present not past, besides flashbacks.

That sucks I thought this would be connected to First Class cast.
It still could. Deadpool is connected to Weapon X and doesn't age.

Look at it like how they use Wolverine between both films.

Wasn't that script written before FC and DOFP though?

If so it'd likely be altered to fit with where the franchise is atm

Again, Deadpool can flashback to Weapon X. And he's there in the past if they want him, but there's no reason for him to be stuck in the past for a whole movie just cause X-Men is for now. This isn't an X-Men prequel or sequel and those films switch decades every go around. They shouldn't sacrafice what they have especially if he isn't important to Apocalypse. Which I don't think he is, given these films shoot at the same time.

According to Lifeld the thrid act is what saw major changes. The script has many references and jokes relying on current pop culture, songs, movies etc. And also features a modern day X-Men. Those jokes need to be updated to now, not restricted and put in the past. Fairly important to Deadpools audience.

The next X-Men and Wolverine film can also be set in present day for all we know as well.

Last edited:
It's worth noting that in the script
as far as we know there's no explicit connection to Wolverine or Weapon X. The origin offered also contradicts just about everything seen in X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Now that could very well change, especially in light of them going for a more unified movieverse after Days of Future Past, but it didn't sound like they were terribly worried about connecting this to the first Wolverine movie.

It is the easiest connection and since DOFP erased XMOW there should be no issues now. But yeah, they could still leave it out as is.

It almost certainly is. How else do you get Colossus involved?

It could be set in the 90s or 00s when Colossus was younger or just a student.

The script was set in present day. I hope they don't pull off something like this just to have it fit into the 'X-Men' timeline. It should be just about Deadpool, with references to the X-world where needed (mostly the origins), and nothing else. Like I've said, to the amusement of a message board comedian, it should be a stand-alone movie, and tie in just LOOSELY into the grander scheme. Let it just be its own thing, an action-comedy with fantastic and comic book-y elements, and it'll turn out great.

Scipt said about present (before 2023) or not too distant future?

The script was simply set in present times, with (then) current pop culture references.

Easily can be fit into 2016, without any repurcussions to the X-Men films. We don't know what happened in those years after all :)

The script was simply set in present times, with (then) current pop culture references.

And I think if the movie consisted of 80s pop culture references, it won't work as well (this isn't Guardians of the Galaxy afterall ;) ).

Psych worked great with 80s pop culture references...just saying.

And I think if the movie consisted of 80s pop culture references, it won't work as well (this isn't Guardians of the Galaxy afterall ;) ).

Starjammers would fit to 80's, and Corsair wouldn't be older than 60.

start in 70's then each movie will be in different era
so 70's then 80's then 90's then 00's and then make him go into future!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"