Winston Duke IS M'Baku

M'Baku turns out to be one of my favorite characters from the movie. I hope he'll get an even bigger role in the sequel.

I liked M'Baku, but I wish he had more screentime. Hopefully that happens in the sequel.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed M'Baku. Looking forward to seeing more of him in the future.

In this film for obvious reasons, the onscreen talent all brought their A game to get the audience on board with this world so the performances all had a weight to them as well as being engaging, but of all the cast it's Duke that is obviously just having a blast of a time in his part.

Also, while for sure M'baku is used for adding some levity and is a fun character he's also never just a buffoon saying funny stuff to get a laugh from the audience. He's a fun character but he's still an impressive warrior with an imposing presence.

In this film for obvious reasons, the onscreen talent all brought their A game to get the audience on board with this world so the performances all had a weight to them as well as being engaging, but of all the cast it's Duke that is obviously just having a blast of a time in his part.

Also, while for sure M'baku is used for adding some levity and is a fun character he's also never just a buffoon saying funny stuff to get a laugh from the audience. He's a fun character but he's still an impressive warrior with an imposing presence.

They managed to show a serious great warrior with important plot points and combine some comedy without it undermining that aspect. This is something some of the early MCU films have struggled with so it's great to see.

M'Baku turns out to be one of my favorite characters from the movie. I hope he'll get an even bigger role in the sequel.

Yeah, I really want to see more of him and his tribe asap.

It's been said by someone but I had to laugh and agree...M'Baku as played by Duke comes across as a black African Vultan (1980's Flash Gordon).

The idea of him sharing scenes with Drax, Hulk and/or Thor come IW amuses me no end. What a probably shame that we won't see or get that.

It's been said by someone but I had to laugh and agree...M'Baku as played by Duke comes across as a black African Vultan (1980's Flash Gordon).

The idea of him sharing scenes with Drax, Hulk and/or Thor come IW amuses me no end. What a probably shame that we won't see or get that.

Probably won’t happen but at least we get to see Hulk in Wakanda so who knows.

Whoever said that nailed it.

Holy ****, the mental image of those four quaffing mead is now something I want to see onscreen now.

I saw this with a friend from Kenya last night. He was very impressed and went in depth about how accurate Duke's portrayal was to its Nigerian roots. Which made me think back to that poor soul who tried to complain about Duke's accent a couple days back. People really do need to inform themselves before coming on the internet to comment. :woot:

Holy ****, the mental image of those four quaffing mead is now something I want to see onscreen now.

This can be a new hero team. Maybe add Thing too in a few years. Either that or add Drax and M'Baku to the Revengers.

This can be a new hero team. Maybe add Thing too in a few years. Either that or add Drax and M'Baku to the Revengers.

The Illuminati would have to fire all five of them into space to spare the Earth further damage and chaos.

That would be fun, but you'd at the very least have to give M'Baku some of that heartshaped herb as the current Revengers are all strong enough to throw him the opposite way of how Killmonger threw T'Challa. :woot:

The Illuminati would have to fire all five of them into space to spare the Earth further damage and chaos.

Every other planet would be much more worried about this Dream Team landing on them than Infinity Gauntlet Thanos with all the stones and his armies/generals.

Mjölnir;36364911 said:
That would be fun, but you'd at the very least have to give M'Baku some of that heartshaped herb as the current Revengers are all strong enough to throw him the opposite way of how Killmonger threw T'Challa. :woot:

Give the man what he wants. Throw in a BP outfit and reconstructed Mjolnir if it helps get him on the level required to drink with this crew.

Give the man what he wants. Throw in a BP outfit and reconstructed Mjolnir if it helps get him on the level required to drink with this crew.

As long as it's a vibranium Man-Ape costume I'm in.

Mjölnir;36364977 said:

Done! :up::cool:

I saw this with a friend from Kenya last night. He was very impressed and went in depth about how accurate Duke's portrayal was to its Nigerian roots. Which made me think back to that poor soul who tried to complain about Duke's accent a couple days back. People really do need to inform themselves before coming on the internet to comment. :woot:

People on social have been saying Duke's M'Baku sounds like your average Nigerian uncle :funny:

I love his accent!

Mjölnir;36364977 said:

I don't think he is going to wear the Man-Ape costume, I think that has some unfortunate implications that Marvel and Disney would rather avoid and I think making M'Baku a flat out villain next time would contradict what we see in this movie. I do think changing a character's role to fit with what the MCU is doing is sometimes better then trying to force the role they had in the comics, simply because that is the role they had in the comics.

I don't think he is going to wear the Man-Ape costume, I think that has some unfortunate implications that Marvel and Disney would rather avoid and I think making M'Baku a flat out villain next time would contradict what we see in this movie. I do think changing a character's role to fit with what the MCU is doing is sometimes better then trying to force the role they had in the comics, simply because that is the role they had in the comics.

I don't think that will happen either as they already set his look (nothing says that Man-Ape has to be a villain though), but he did wear a gorilla mask in the trial and they made a lot of ape sounds so I'd say that they've already touched on what could potentially have been sensitive.

I think it works if it's set in a context that's clearly positive about African culture.

They touched on the virtue and might of a gorilla and not the racial implications. seeing him running around in his comic costume would be very awkward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"