Sequels Wizard Says It's Officialy On For 2010

TKMStuff05 explained it in detail for me from the finance boards how the Sony rights with Marvel work:

Sony's rights are in perpetuity, so long as it continues to make all necessary payments and follow through on making the pictures. Rules are different for films and television.

For films, Sony has to make a rights extension payment within nine months of the date of initial theatrical release of each new picture - in the case of SM4, the payment to retain those rights is due Feb 2, 2008. Sony then has three years from the date of that payment to commence principal photography on the next installment, and must release the picture to theaters within five years of the rights expension payment date.

There is no limit to the number of sequels Sony can make.

So the 3 years is for commencing photography . So No later than 3 years and nine months from the release of the prior film Sony must start filming the next film, and they have a total of 5 years and 9 months from that same date to release the film in theatres.

That's really interesting stuff. I had no idea Marvel would do a deal like that with Spider-Man. That basically means, Sony has a James Bond type franchise with Spider-Man, as long as they keep their part of the deal going. Marvel never ever have to worry about a Spider-Man film NOT being made. Who the hell would want to lose the rights to make Spider-Man films?

It's no wonder why Sony said, it'll continue making Spidey with or without the cast/director, they don't have a choice.

I think 2010 might be too early. Seriously, no one really seems like they care for another spiderman movie. They should wait until atleast 2012 and not re-boot the franchise, but just kinda start fresh with new actors and directors and it would have nothing to do with Raimi's films. It wouldn't be a direct sequel. Sony wouldn't even need to call it Spiderman 4. Go with The Amazing Spiderman or something.

WTF? So you're just going to ignore the billion of dollars that these films have made, and say that nobody seems to care for another Spidey movie. Okay. Although I do think 2011 is a better release date.

The spider-man films maybe a multi billion dollar franchise but people for the most part, I hope aren't stupid. I think that BB was far from perfect but to date, its the only 21st century comic book movie that takes itself seriously as a movie and a comic book-inspired movie. TDK looks awesome and unlike the spidey movies, what you see in the trailers with Nolan's batman flicks, you actually get and more.

With the likes of TIH, Ironman and of course TDK that are shaping up quite well and look set to distinguish itself from the mediocre quality that came before it, the next spidey movie really needs to step up its game. All the silliness and absurdity with the characters need serious re-evaluation. If sony plan to actually move foward with the stories and characters, it actually helps if they did exactly that, move on from what we've already seen. That means no more stupid, socially inept, mushy-mouthed peter parker. Give us a parker that is mature and intelligent enough to apply the scientific theories he has studied over the years to help over come certain obstacles, among many other things. The romance needs a major overhauling too. The romance just got stupid and pointless from the moment we saw peter almost crash into mr Aziz at the start of sm2.

Although, I would love for the writing and direction to be stronger in Spider-Man, Nolan's Batman doesn't thrill me in the least of the direction which all comic book films should follow, like Bat-Geeks would have you believe. Maybe because I don't find BB anywhere near great, actually, I don't find any icon comic book film great. I've seen both IM and TDK trailers, and they both look like common comic book films, that I've grown accustomed to seeing, and watch as people over hype the hell out of them. :cool:

Well, I for one won't be over hyping said movies because I've faced way too much disappointment and that's why I said, they're shaping up quite well and look as though they'll be awesome. Whether that happens or not is another story but, I honesty feel that, the spidey movies boast an enormous amount of potential to the point, it leaves me furious at how they messed up so bad on 3 different occasions. The writing is dreadful and for the sake of the film frachise's longevity, sony or any other studio who ends up with the rights, need to either step up their game or get out of it and pass the torch onto someone else.

Well, lucky you, I feel the same way with Batman films, except I see enormous amount of potential on 5 different occasions. Remember, we all have a Spider-Man, Batman, X-Men, etc. movies running inside of our heads. And mine wouldn't be even close to what we've seen thus far from either film.

No. Actually I hope the next director is great. I hope my favorite villain Lizard is done justice. For example, I'd love to see Joss Whedon do it, if Raimi is gone.

But I suspect that it will LIKELY be a rush job director who would come into an installment with 4 in the name and a hack like Ratner or Tim Story will take over and fans will be discontented...okay the last part never changes but the first part would.

As it stands I hope SM4 is the best because it will likely have my favorite villain, but I'm just waiting for all those who are saying "I CAN'T WAIT FOR RAIMI TO LEAVE!" to be praising his name in 3 years.

If Tim Story ever touches Spidey...heads will roll.

I'd rather see well...anyone direct Spider-Man than Tim Story.

Nolan's Batman is all right.

Burton's was 40 times better, but whatever.

As for Spidey, I think the first two Raimi films were spectacular; the last one sucked...but whatever. Even Orson Welles made some ****ty movies.

Ahem... Joel Schumacher.

I'd rather have Joel Schumacher direct Spider-Man than Tim Story. it was Schumacher's love of campy dialogue and total lack of respect for the Batman comics that made Batman Forever and Batman & Robin. It was the studio's desire to sell toys, which Schumacher simply went along with. Look at Schumacher's other movies. It's a mixed bag, but it's not as if he's an incompetent director. Tim Story is just ill-suited to directing.

WTF? So you're just going to ignore the billion of dollars that these films have made, and say that nobody seems to care for another Spidey movie. Okay. Although I do think 2011 is a better release date.

Most people could use a break, so it doesn't get repeative. Not to mention they need some time to get Spiderman 3's poor taste out of their mouth.

Most people could use a break, so it doesn't get repeative. Not to mention they need some time to get Spiderman 3's poor taste out of their mouth.

Or they can hurry and put out SM4 and make people forget all about the crapfest SM3 was.

And who the hell are most people, and what comic book film isn't repetitive? SM3 made 890M, seriously now, there's always disgruntled geeks/critics (whom both mean absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things), because they seem to show up in record numbers for every Spider-Man film released. You don't see them doing this for Superman or Batman.

So for those who wish Spider-Man to take break, it's not happening anytime soon...deal with it.

What do you do to get a bad taste out of your mouth? Let it sit and fester or put something better in there? SM4 as from the information in this thread will be out in 2010 no matter what.

hey how does something like this sound for spider-man 4:???????

have the movie recast and started at a point later in pete's life. make him around 30 or so....he's done being a photographer and done wioth the whole school thing. he's now a science teacher or something, working with kids and helping them find direction and trying to make an impact the way uncle ben made an impact on him.

mj and him are not together, or it's a VERY long distance type relationship thing. she's in hollywood making a movie or something. he's still in nyc.

from here you can go 3 routes: he is still spider-man and having a hard time (because who wouldnt) being spidey as well as a teacher -----OR----- he has quit spidey to be more "grown up" ------OR-------- he is spidey and a teacher and does it with complete ease until a new villian takes advantae of his complacency

maybe introduce a new love interest while MJ is gone...maybe continue a gwen or focus on someone new.....(i dont really care)

since they were talkin about making 3 more, you could have the end of this movie include some sort of cliffhanger where the sinister 6 is eluded to so that by #6 it falls into place naturally.

for #4 i think we need to give lizard a shot. he's "been" in 3 movies only to not have been in 3 movies.

i dunno..just some random thoughts i had the other night haha

^You lost my interest on the first paragraph.

Secondly, what the hell kind of a Spider-Man movie would it be where Peter Parker quits being Spider-Man to become more 'grown up'. Is it forever? Plus, we have already seen that route. And him being a teacher and we are suppose to relate to him cannot happen.

I'm glad 2010 seems to be the date they are waiting for, its not too soon and it isnt too long. But they will need to get the ball rolling pretty quick once the strike ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"