Universal2010062.jpg

Universal2010044.jpg

Universal2010035.jpg

Universal2010034.jpg

Universal2010030.jpg

Universal2010022.jpg

Universal2010018.jpg

Universal2010011.jpg

wow it looks amazing! my friends gone to florida for two weeks and is going there!

ok this is harry potter linked and its royally pissing me off

Universal Studios Florida’s famous Jaws attraction will be closing for good at the start of next year

The news was first broken by “The Jaws Ride” on Twitter and Facebook. The site has always been quite reliable when it comes to news and information revolving around the attraction. Several people also commented on their status confirming this report. One comment stated that the news was confirmed in an employee meeting this morning and that official confirmation should be released around 11 AM EST today.

UPDATE: Universal Orlando has officially confirmed the closure on Facebook. Here’s their official statement:

Hey fans, we want you to be the first to know… JAWS! and the Amity area will officially close on January 2 to make room for an exciting, NEW, experience we’re planning for you.

We know you love JAWS! and we do too. It has been an amazing attraction and after terrorizing the waters of Amity here at Universal Orlando for 20 years, it’s a VERY important part of our history. So, we’ve got a couple things planned to ensure we always remember and honor it. We know it’s hard to say goodbye, but we can’t express how EXCITED we are about the new, innovative & amazing experience we’re going to be bringing you.

Though the news may come as a surprise to many, there have been rumors revolving around an expansion of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter taking Jaws’ place for months now. Not only that, but rumors of the ride simply closing in general have been around for months, if not years.

Jaws was one of the final classic attraction left at Universal Studios Florida following the closures of several attractions such as Back to the Future and Kongfrontation. The attraction also had its own land in the park making this news even more interesting.

At this time, there is no official confirmation on what will replace the attraction, but stay tuned for more updates on the closure.

http://orlandounited.com/2011/12/02/jaws-to-close-on-january-2-2012/

:doh::doh::cmad:

a mod should change this thread to the universal orlando thread

I heard rumors that it was going to become a Transformers land.

So I hear something similar is coming to California now. I wonder what great ride they're going to demolish to put it in. :( I don't know about Orlando, but a new ride/attraction usually signals the death of a classic one.

I heard rumors that it was going to become a Transformers land.

nope bookies favourite is get this potter 2.0. yeah thats right they're going have the harry potter expansion in separate park

I still have not forgiven Universal for taking down Back To The Future in Orlando

I still have not forgiven Universal for taking down Back To The Future in Orlando

Me too. Although as much as I hate to admit it...The Simpsons Ride was pretty fun. They still have the car and the train there, and you can still meet Doc.

Possibilities I've heard for replacing Jaws are:

-Transformers, although not likely, since the ride they're working on is supposedly the same as the Spiderman ride that's already at Islands of Adventure

-King Kong 360. Again, not likely (although the one in Universal Hollywood looks awesome)

-Harry Potter expansion. Most likely. Rumor is it might be a train ride, with Platform 9-3/4 where Amity used to be that takes you to the Hogsmeade Station in Wizarding World.

Which, actually...sounds kind of cool.

Last time I was there, Islands of Adventure was mobbed thanks to Harry Potter, but the Universal side was virtually empty. So they need to do something.

Still hate to see Jaws go, though. :csad:

The original Universal park sounds so dated that I opted to only visit Islands of Adventure when I went to Orlando in the summer. I believe several visitors choose to do the same; as danoyse said, Universal tends to be empty in comparison to IoA, and the Harry Potter area was a madhouse even at 7 AM on a Monday (when only hotel guests were allowed entry!). If they plan on adding more Harry Potter attractions, I'd be game. What they've done so far is really impressive. Hogwarts is beautiful to see, and I've never ridden anything like the ride inside the castle.

On a somewhat related note, the planned Avatar land at Disney World has me singing a whole different tune. :(

While I have to imagine that the Avatar land they're planning has the potential to be amazing, I think they're insane if they think that's the answer to Harry Potter. Especially when Disney Hollywood Studio park so desperately needs a makeover.

Universal could definitely use a boost. Some of that stuff (Terminator 3D, Twister) has been there forever, ET is looking old, and the Disaster show wasn't anything special. I do love The Mummy ride, though.

I totally agree about Hollywood Studios. It's my least favorite WDW park by far, and I'm a Disney fanatic. But I believe they're adding Avatar land to Animal Kingdom, correct? Animal Kingdom is the most beautiful and atmospheric of the four parks in my opinion, so if the same Imagineers are working on Avatar land, at least it'll be visually impressive. But yeah, it's not going to have the same draw as Harry Potter.

I wish they'd add a Star Wars land to Hollywood Studios. I think character dining at the Cantina would be pretty darn awesome. :)

Yep, Avatar land is coming to Animal Kingdom, which is a good fit for that park and I'm sure it will be great.

But DHS is in such sad shape, which I hate, because I used to love that park. The situation with the Toy Story ride is ridiculous. If you're not there by rope drop, you have to wait over an hour to ride it, if you're lucky. My cousins skipped it completely when they were there last month.

A Star Wars land would be great. That Indiana Jones show has been there for more than 20 years, it either needs an update...or a replacement. They should bring the ride from Disneyland there - I know it's the same thing as the Dinosaur ride at Animal Kingdom, but it's such an awesome ride who cares?

Maybe they can even back some of those early plans they had for The Muppets (The Great Muppet Movie Ride, the Swedish Chef restaurant) now that they officially own them and the movie is doing well.

And they finally have to stop screwing around and build that Monsters Inc coaster. Just build it already!

Animal Kingdom is gross and hot. I hated that park. It smelled like poop too.

I mean, I can get the appeal for it. But I felt like i was in Africa the entire time. Very strange feeling too.

Universal has always been my park of choice. So cool. Love their rides, as well as gift shops. ;D

I mean, I can get the appeal for it. But I felt like i was in Africa the entire time. Very strange feeling too.

Universal has always been my park of choice. So cool. Love their rides, as well as gift shops. ;D
that's kind of the point of it...

The situation with the Toy Story ride is ridiculous. If you're not there by rope drop, you have to wait over an hour to ride it, if you're lucky. My cousins skipped it completely when they were there last month.

Indeed! I went in August 2008 and we tried three times during the week to ride Toy Story Mania. It was just my husband and myself, no kids, so you'd think two adults could manage to get to the attraction just once. Nope! FastPasses were gone by 10AM and the queues were hours long. We didn't get to rope drop at DHS, so we were just out of luck.

There are many people who strongly dislike Animal Kingdom and think it's little more than a zoo. I was really taken by the theme work in that park, though-- I felt like I was in Africa, too, but in a good way! I'm also an animal lover, so I really enjoyed the safari and animal exhibits.

I would never want to go to Africa. I loath heat. Hence why I moved away from Florida. It just bothers me.

But there's nothing wrong with the park. It just didn't appeal to me.

I. Am. Speechless.

I really am.

**** you universal studios. Seriously.

I am inclined to agree. Jaws may be a cheesy ride.....but it was still awesome! :D

Indeed! I went in August 2008 and we tried three times during the week to ride Toy Story Mania. It was just my husband and myself, no kids, so you'd think two adults could manage to get to the attraction just once. Nope! FastPasses were gone by 10AM and the queues were hours long. We didn't get to rope drop at DHS, so we were just out of luck.

I was last there about a year ago, and it was still that bad with Toy Story. We got there when the park opened, and everyone heads right for that ride as soon as the rope drop is over. I went right for the Fastpass line and got everyone's fastpasses, then I met up with my friends who were on the standby line. That way we got to ride it twice. The Fastpasses were gone after we had ridden the ride the first time.

There are many people who strongly dislike Animal Kingdom and think it's little more than a zoo. I was really taken by the theme work in that park, though-- I felt like I was in Africa, too, but in a good way! I'm also an animal lover, so I really enjoyed the safari and animal exhibits.

I like the safari. Last time we saw a baby elephant and a baby rhino, and a giraffe came right up to our car, which was awesome. I like the Dinosaur ride (although the Indiana Jones ride in Disneyland is so much better), and the Finding Nemo musical is cute.

My favorite part of Animal Kingdom is Expedition Everest. I went on that 11 times in a row when I was there a few years back. :awesome:

I don't see why they just can't buy more land and make new rides instead of tearing down the classics.

While I have to imagine that the Avatar land they're planning has the potential to be amazing, I think they're insane if they think that's the answer to Harry Potter. Especially when Disney Hollywood Studio park so desperately needs a makeover.

Universal could definitely use a boost. Some of that stuff (Terminator 3D, Twister) has been there forever, ET is looking old, and the Disaster show wasn't anything special. I do love The Mummy ride, though.

i would agree with you about mgm, it seems to be becoming pixar land. the main icon the great movie ride desperately needs a lot of tlc, for god sake last month the head of the cheetah animatronic fell off, all they did was turn off the movement and stick it back on

I don't see why they just can't buy more land and make new rides instead of tearing down the classics.

I don't think they have the room to do that.

i would agree with you about mgm, it seems to be becoming pixar land. the main icon the great movie ride desperately needs a lot of tlc, for god sake last month the head of the cheetah animatronic fell off, all they did was turn off the movement and stick it back on

I wouldn't mind if they turned it into Pixar-land, as long as they added more attractions to it. Right now it's just a Toy Story ride that has unbearable wait times because it's the only family ride in the park (Star Tours is hit-or-miss depending if you like simulator rides and 3D).

Add that Monsters Inc coaster that's been rumored for years. Add stuff from The Incredibles, Wall*E, and even Up. Start building up The Muppets like they were supposed to years ago. Add a Star Wars/Indiana Jones land. They have stuff that's been there for 20 years that looks like it hasn't been touched in 20 years (apparently the cheetah definitely needs help :wow: ).

A Monsters Inc. coaster would be amazing. I would be 100% onboard with turning Hollywood Studios into a Pixar park and letting Magic Kingdom serve as the park for classic Disney animation (they could move Buzz Lightyear and Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor over to DHS). I don't think many kids are enamored with the old Hollywood theme at Hollywood studios. Thinking about the whole park being filled with Pixar characters and attractions makes me a little giddy, to be honest. I wish I could go to Disney World more often!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"