The Wolverine Wolverine's Mask

And considering we seem to be getting comic accurate Silver Samurai and Viper (at least in looks) he wouldn't look so out of place with his own costume. At least one that's adapted to fit in the setting.

Well he is around Ninjas who wear masks, doesn't he train with them, makes sense he might have one too, but have his own version later. This would be a perfect time to introduce it ... or even for a scene and dismiss the idea if need be.
I'd be cool with that.
Even here? of course if any place you'd expect to hear complaints about comic costume accuracy it would be on a site like this. However for the 80-90% in the general audience who don't care/are even aware wolverine wears a mask this is not an issue.
If I showed a general audience member a picture of Wolverine with the mask alot of them are gonna know who it is. It's not this hardcore comic nerd only secret that he wears a mask.
Besides Wolverine has such a distinguished look sans mask that even for someone like me who grew up watching the X-men animated series that this is as much wolverine if not more so:

Well saying most fans don't want it is bs,but yeah the GA wont care either way so what they choose to do doesn't matter as long as its a good movie. More people would want to see it then flat out dont. Its gonna cause more attention to the film when they do introduce it. So if given a reason I say bring it. We will have had 6 movies without it by next year. Time to do something different imo. It will show up one of these days....

Last edited:
The mask would be cool, but I can live without it. I just want to see the yellow body suit.

Is that too much to ask for?

I have trouble picturing the suit looking good without the mask.

Not everything translates to film like it does in animation/comics.

Wolverines mask is one of those things. There is no reason for it and wouldn't make sense for him to wear a mask, when he doesn't wear a costume.

Last edited:
I think the only way the costume could work is if it were changed dramatically into some type of ninja suit. I don't see the Wolverine established in the movie universe putting on a yellow super hero costume. He already felt goofy enough wearing the black leather.

I think the idea of using a leather jacket to symbolize the different color schemes of his past outfits is the best route for the films.

I think the idea of using a leather jacket to symbolize the different color schemes of his past outfits is the best route for the films.

That sounds awful. I'd easily take a cheap spandex costume over a multi-coloured leather jacket.

That sounds awful. I'd easily take a cheap spandex costume over a multi-coloured leather jacket.

Hey!

smallville-leather-jacket__63692_zoom.jpg

I could have sworn that, during the production of the original X-Men movie, I saw an image of a comic book artist's rendition of what the movie uniforms looked like, but the artist had added the mask.

It was just Wolverine in the drawing, in the movie uniform, but with a matching mask.

Can't find it for the life of me, but it was one of the first images I saw for the film.

I could have sworn that, during the production of the original X-Men movie, I saw an image of a comic book artist's rendition of what the movie uniforms looked like, but the artist had added the mask.

It was just Wolverine in the drawing, in the movie uniform, but with a matching mask.

Can't find it for the life of me, but it was one of the first images I saw for the film.

I was trying to look for that the other day as I remember seeing it.

Given proper ears that stick up more, its not that bad ... just no yellow.

It could have been done a lot better. Hopefully Bryan has someone take another crack at it for DoFP.

At this point even some recent concepts to show it has being thought of would be nice.

What conceivable reason would this version of Wolverine be wearing a mask and a costume? As far as we know, Fox Wolverine was never a part of Canadian intelligence service and later their first hero, hence the outlandish mask and costume. Plus, Fox's X-men universe doesn't have Superheroes who wear anything close to that over the top. Wolverine was supposed to evoke the iconography of Cap, Spidey and the rest of the Avengers with his look. But they don't exist in Fox's universe.

What conceivable reason would this version of Wolverine be wearing a mask and a costume? As far as we know, Fox Wolverine was never a part of Canadian intelligence service and later their first hero, hence the outlandish mask and costume. Plus, Fox's X-men universe doesn't have Superheroes who wear anything close to that over the top. Wolverine was supposed to evoke the iconography of Cap, Spidey and the rest of the Avengers with his look. But they don't exist in Fox's universe.

I don't see many people asking for it to look just like the comics, but instead to see it adapted so it fits in the context of the films which there has been costumes already. Look back through this thread and you'll see examples of reasons why Wolverine could wear a costume and it be believable.

Also, at the end of the day it's still a comic book series filled with many aspects of the comic book. Wanting certain characters to look the part or wear costumes doesn't have to be about 'hiding their identity' or whatever. The other x-movies never put any over thought explanation to justify their costumes and even Origins had some form of costumes (just not particularly ones from the comics).

Last edited:
I really don't see how the mask could ever work in the conventional way (i.e. as a permanent part of a costume). You might get away with a cameo in the form of a Samurai mask, but other than that...

Honestly, for DOFP I would like to see something like this:

wolvie.jpg

No mask; just a modified jacket, X logos, and his traditional colors. I think that would go some way to meeting fan expectation and yet keeping it believable.

Last edited:
Wolverine%20new%20pic.jpg

Yeah cause THAT looks absolutely horrible. :whatever:

Not quite the multi-coloured jacket you're asking for, but I'm really sure that would look just awesome in yellow and blue. lol

I really don't see how the mask could ever work in the conventional way (i.e. as a permanent part of a costume). You might get away with a cameo in the form of a Samurai mask, but other than that...

wolvie.jpg

No mask; just a modified jacket, X logos, and his traditional colors. I think that would go some way to meeting fan expectation and yet keeping it believable.

That looks nice for an edit, but it would just be underwhelming. If the team are wearing costumes then Wolverine should wear one too and not just his civvies.

wolvie.jpg

I do not like this look at all.

It would be a dream come true to see the mask and uniform in some form. But I'm not sure its possible with this on-screen Wolverine...

That was pretty much the reason they didn't go with giving him a mask in the first movie. Because Cyclops, Jean, Storm - they weren't wearing mask, why would Logan?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"