DC Films Wonder Twins movie no longer in the works

I would have picked this over Batgirl. Batgirl got $70 Million & its very risky putting everything on Michael Keaton being in a few scenes. As at least if The Wonder Twins worked its new & more rewarding if it worked. The Michael Keaton thing could easily blow up in Discoveries faces

Well, Batgirl was much further along — greenlighted before the belt-tightening, currently in post production and already paid for. The only question is whether switching to a theatrical release is viable. :shrug:

I am more excited for Batgirl than I have been for any other project that DC has in the hopper. The only thing that I felt this had going for it was the casting so far. Apa is a legit star in the making. Hopefully he latched onto a new project in the near future.

Doesnt bother me at all that this thing was cancelled. The casting felt completely uninteresting, when I was younger I always thought that they should cast maybe japanease or indian actors if they they ever did a "Wonder Twins" movie.

Some time ago, I talked about a possible reason to why Wonder twins got axed, and mentioned that something/someone brought Warner Brothers back to reality. The way the studio handled the characters was going to be too bland for the film to work.
David Zaslav seems to be that guy.
The budget being too high is likely a fake explanation. The real issue was that Warner Bros didn't do an actual effort here. It was going to be a failure with the choice of leads and director. Zaslav saw that miles away.
Fortunately, the disaster of a film was shelved.
The studio will never admit they did something wrong, that their so-called "vision" was a stinker. Hence, claim it's for budget reasons!

I would like to really push for a second try, the studio starting working on a new Wonder Twins adaption. This time as a theatrical film.
And with a better creative team behind it.

Last edited:
Doesnt bother me at all that this thing was cancelled. The casting felt completely uninteresting, when I was younger I always thought that they should cast maybe japanease or indian actors if they they ever did a "Wonder Twins" movie.
The choice of leads was so unspired and uninteresting on a high level. I could hardly believe my eyes.
I mean, where do they find such boring actors? It's almost worth an applause, lol
How is it actually possible to fancast a project better than the studio?????

Is it important to you that Wonder Twins are played by asians?
Could latinos also work? Why, or why not?

Well, "Wonder Twins" are not important to me in general, but I just always felt like if they did a live action movie, they would probably should cast non-white actors in the part. Yes they are something like from the "ancient Exorian race" or something in the cartoon and its tie in comics. Most thinks have the potential to be good, even "Wonder Twins".

This just seemed like one of many completely uninteresting and unneeded projects that WB has tried to puke out with a DC label on it.

Last edited:
This just seemed like one of many completely uninteresting and unneeded projects that WB has tried to puke out with a DC label on it.
I have a hard time understanding why Warner Bros thought their vision of Wonder Twins was going to work. The film had *crap warning" all over it.
Did they even think it was going to be any good? If that's the case, they're delusional and truly need help with understanding reality. Professional help, I mean. It can't go on like this anymore.

The choice of leads was so unspired and uninteresting on a high level. I could hardly believe my eyes.
I mean, where do they find such boring actors? It's almost worth an applause, lol
How is it actually possible to fancast a project better than the studio?????
Interesting. I really liked the casting of KJ Apa (or at least I like the idea of casting him in a comic book movie, admittedly maybe not this one). I thought he was really solid in a relatively smaller role in The Hate You Give and he showed a lot of charisma in I Still Believe. Songbird is a bad film but I actually thought he gave a good performance in it.

Interesting. I really liked the casting of KJ Apa (or at least I like the idea of casting him in a comic book movie, admittedly maybe not this one). I thought he was really solid in a relatively smaller role in The Hate You Give and he showed a lot of charisma in I Still Believe. Songbird is a bad film but I actually thought he gave a good performance in it.
We all have our own opinions :)

I can see several different actors for the twins, but the ones I wanted the most were Odeya Rush & Gavin Casalegno. They would have given the characters a latino vibe. I think it's just as good as casting asians, something that many people seem to prefer.

I feel kinda angry that Warner Brothers mistreat us fans like this. It's almost like I want to demand that the studio takes Wonder Twins up again, and do better this time.
One suggestion for director is Gabor Csupo. I'm sure I can come up with others quite soon.

Agree about KJ. There's definitely a role for him in a CBM, but I'm not sure Wonder Twins is it lol.

Cooler heads probably prevailed. Perhaps his agent or manager advised him to hold out for something more substantial. He seems to be working steadily so he can afford to wait for a Hal Jordan or X-Men or something like that to come along...

Agree about KJ. There's definitely a role for him in a CBM, but I'm not sure Wonder Twins is it lol.

Cooler heads probably prevailed. Perhaps his agent or manager advised him to hold out for something more substantial. He seems to be working steadily so he can afford to wait for a Hal Jordan or X-Men or something like that to come along...
I sort of think he could be the new Human Torch.

Well, Batgirl was much further along — greenlighted before the belt-tightening, currently in post production and already paid for. The only question is whether switching to a theatrical release is viable. :shrug:

Its also entirely likely that the Batgirl project *started* as a theatrical project, and only got switched to streaming as part of the general flailing midway through development. It wasn't only created to provide content for the streaming service.

Do I understand you correctly? Do you mean that KJ was adviced to turn the project down?
Wasn't he already cast, with him agreeing to play Zan?

Do I understand you correctly? Do you mean that KJ was adviced to turn the project down?
Wasn't he already cast, with him agreeing to play Zan?

Sorry if I was unclear. I meant that KJ probably isn't too broken up about this, considering there are probably much higher profile CBM roles available to him.

Sorry if I was unclear. I meant that KJ probably isn't too broken up about this, considering there are probably much higher profile CBM roles available to him.
Who's to say that Wonder Twins couldn't have been become cinematic A-list superheroes with a film? :) (GOTG and Ant-Man did it).
Not the one the Warner Brothers people were going to make though, but a better adaption.

Who's to say that Wonder Twins couldn't have been become cinematic A-list superheroes with a film? :) (GOTG and Ant-Man did it).
Not the one the Warner Brothers people were going to make though, but a better adaption.

There are worse superhero movie ideas. *Glances at Sony*

IMHO The Wonder Twins were never good or interesting characters to me. The only time I enjoyed them was when they were being defecated on for those Adult Swim animated shorts.

Just not sure how you do a modern Wonder Twins movie, unless it was like a post-modern James Gunn type take, but I think we've got enough of that already with Suicide Squad and Peacemaker.

I get there's some nostalgic appeal for Super Friends and Wonder Twins, but I always felt both the show and Wonder Twins were rather lame. Super Friends didn't really improve IMO until it got to the Super Powers era and started telling more story-driven, serious stories with some genuine stakes.

What I think would be the best choice is maybe introduce them as minor characters in another film, like say if you were to make a Plastic Man film, and see if they get any traction there. Plastic Man lends itself to wackier storytelling, so Wonder Twins and Gleek would probably make more sense there.

I feel like a Wonder Twins movie would turn out like the superhero version of Alvin and the Chipmunks live action.

IMHO The Wonder Twins were never good or interesting characters to me. The only time I enjoyed them was when they were being defecated on for those Adult Swim animated shorts.

Just not sure how you do a modern Wonder Twins movie, unless it was like a post-modern James Gunn type take, but I think we've got enough of that already with Suicide Squad and Peacemaker.

I get there's some nostalgic appeal for Super Friends and Wonder Twins, but I always felt both the show and Wonder Twins were rather lame. Super Friends didn't really improve IMO until it got to the Super Powers era and started telling more story-driven, serious stories with some genuine stakes.

What I think would be the best choice is maybe introduce them as minor characters in another film, like say if you were to make a Plastic Man film, and see if they get any traction there. Plastic Man lends itself to wackier storytelling, so Wonder Twins and Gleek would probably make more sense there.

I feel like a Wonder Twins movie would turn out like the superhero version of Alvin and the Chipmunks live action.
If done right, Wonder Twins can be better than Alvin & Chipmunks.
I see a possibility to do something that feels a little bit like GOTG.

Maybe the siblings will be interesting characters to you with the right director, script and actors?

If done right, Wonder Twins can be better than Alvin & Chipmunks.
I see a possibility to do something that feels a little bit like GOTG.

Maybe the siblings will be interesting characters to you with the right director, script and actors?

It's not the best comparison to me because I was already a big fan of the Guardians of the Galaxy comics and characters before the movies. I thought the Abnett and Lanning run was the perfect take to go with for a movie adaptation.

Last edited:
It's not the best comparison to me because I was already a big fan of the Guardians of the Galaxy comics and characters before the movies. I thought the Abnett and Lanning run was the perfect take to go with for a movie adaptaiton.
But a story that lends itself to the cosmic angle, since the siblings are alien, could have a somewhat similar cinematic feel. Maybe just a tad more wacky because of the space circus and the twins' home planet Exxor.

But a story that lends itself to the cosmic angle, since the siblings are alien, could have a somewhat similar cinematic feel. Maybe just a tad more wacky because of the space circus and the twins' home planet Exxor.

That does not interest me at all.

That does not interest me at all.
Not even if a good director helms the film and some really good writers are hired....
and the studio will put a lot of effort in the project to make sure its good..... and the characters are treated with respect.... and the actors really fit the twins?
Not even then?

Not even if a good director helms the film and some really good writers are hired....
and the studio will put a lot of effort in the project to make sure its good..... and the characters are treated with respect.... and the actors really fit the twins?
Not even then?

It Alex Hirsch, Olan Rogers, or Parker Simmons get involved, that might interest me.

I liked the rebooted Wonder Twins from the Justice League Unlimited cartoon myself. I think a WT movie could do just fine. It doesn't even have to be like GOTG, or TSS either, ugh. What is with people's obsession with that style of story telling anyway??

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"