Wonder Woman 1984 General Discussion and Speculation - Part 2

Or it is cause the protests were outside and many of the protesters wore masks. But we should probably end this here...

So is this still coming out next month in August? Because if so, the pandemic is still at large and August is only a few days away.

WW84 fan poster by Bosslogic.
source

116018055-339861790514213-154506817489276236-n.jpg

Is WB going to be the only studio to release movies theatrically in 2020 (after COVID started)? AQP2, Top Gun 2 & Snake Eyes recently moved to 2021. No Time To Die is rumored to be moving soon also. Mulan has been taken off the 2020 schedule. That leaves TENET, WW84, DUNE and BLACK WIDOW as the only blockbusters left for 2020. Three of these are WB movies.

I dont see it happening in the US but internationally that seems to be what they are going for. Nolan is really holding their feet to the fire with TENET. Personally I think he is nuts though I do want to see the film badly.

I dont see it happening in the US but internationally that seems to be what they are going for. Nolan is really holding their feet to the fire with TENET. Personally I think he is nuts though I do want to see the film badly.

The notion of "Nolan saving theaters" makes no sense. How exactly does TENET coming out save theaters when nearly every other 2020 movie has moved to 2021? What happens if some of the other movies (Black Widow, No Time To Die) move to 2021? What is going to play in theaters for the rest of the year once TENET is finished its run? The whole thing is just so stupid.

Theaters opened in my area yesterday so I decided to check how many people can sit in an IMAX showing. A whopping 25 people are allowed per showing. I don't know if the same rules apply for other countries, but if so, no way in hell can any of these movies make money by selling only 25 tickets per show.

I guess they don't want it to be filled beyond 33% of the seating capacity, I don't know how it normally is in the US, but here we usually have only 15 % seat occupancy for Imax theatres on all days except weekdays. (when it gets filled upto 80% if the movie is popular)

Which results in average occupancy of only 33% per day and they're still doing reasonably well, so the theatres should commercially viable but with low profits.

Also, I suspect WB will release the movie on VoD sooner (like say after 5 weeks in theatres) as was the case with BoP, which would add to collections.

Last edited:
Well I tend to go to movies in off peak times (work from home and have AMC Stubs subscription) but IMAX is usually at best 50% filled unless it is a Friday/Saturday night at my theater. (usually WELL below that though)

I think any studio that releases any film in the next 6-8 months is doing so knowing it is just not going to make as much as it should. Any studio that releases next year will know they will probably not going to be as big as normal because of the slate changes and lots of cannibalism from other films. Its a double edged sword.

I am not saying they will, or they should, but if theaters in the US are screwed for the year (and if Fall is as bad as expected with COVID they will be) one way to up those HBO Max subs is to make WW84 available on there right away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"