• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Wonder Woman 1984 General Discussion and Speculation - Part 2

@geosphere. I think what a lot of us are arguing is with the arsenal HBO Max has it should have done better out the gate. Its a GREAT streaming service, the content is PACKED with stuff for everyone, acclaimed movies, indie movies, DC content, cartoons, anime, cartoon network, adult swim, Sesame Street, Gone with the Wind and the entire HBO series library—its got tons going for it and it should be doing better.

Help me out here. Is there a rule that a streaming service has to do gangbusters out of the gate in order to be successful in the long run? You guys are treating the subscription rates of a streaming service like box office number reports and they are not the same thing. Unlike a single movie, buzz for a streaming platform can happen later. Its not front loaded like movies are.

No but when there is a glut of them it becomes problematic. Not everything needs to be Disney but you don't want it to be Peacock either. (good god they suck) You run the risk of being irrelevant if you don't hook people. Ask Hulu...

Max shouldn't be in this position...they have TV content that is gangbusters. They should have been consolidating it long before they launched. They kept licensing it out though because it is good money. (Netflix paid a fortune for Friends because it was their most watched content) Disney+ brought most of it home, and makes a lot of it exclusive and until Max does it will not reach its potential.

Plus they market it like crap. No one knows what is on it unless they have it. They should be pushing having Looney Tunes, Sesame Street and Cartoon Network to hook in the kids. They should be pushing GOT and DC/Harry Potter for the genre people not to mention Turner Classic Movies for movie buffs along with HBO's catalogue. They just...don't. They have more than enough content already and just kind of threw it out there and figured people would find it. Terrible strategy. (we wont even get into when they had 3 different apps running and their lack of Roku and Amazon rollout) They started out only six months behind Disney+ and might as well be two years because they cant stop shooting themselves in the foot.

@geosphere. I think what a lot of us are arguing is with the arsenal HBO Max has it should have done better out the gate. Its a GREAT streaming service, the content is PACKED with stuff for everyone, acclaimed movies, indie movies, DC content, cartoons, anime, cartoon network, adult swim, Sesame Street, Gone with the Wind and the entire HBO series library—its got tons going for it and it should be doing better.

Damnit you said it more succinctly than I did ;)

I'm seeing it with family so I won't be able to see it Xmas day, but we're gonna get our IMAX tickets tonight for a few days after Christmas. I have HBO Max too, and I'm honestly not sure I've got the willpower to avoid watching it until our screening, but I'm gonna try. :funny:
Haha same! I'm definitely watching it on HBO Max, but I want to put the movie theaters first.

One thing that would help is to just get rid of stuff like the CW App. That should be part of Max. They are starting to roll the shows over but so much is missing due to licensing and other BS. Stargirl is there but none of the Arrowverse shows are. (outside of Batwoman) That is ridiculous. That is hours of content to watch. Plus none of the old Timmverse cartoons outside of Teen Titans Go. No Batman, No Superman Adventures, no JLU no Batman Beyond. Again that is hundreds of episodes not available.

They werent ready to launch when they launched and so what they have now is sort of a Max Beta which would be fine if that is what it was supposed to be...but this is supposed to be a major subscription service for one of the biggest content providers in the world. I defend it to hell because once you have it you realize it is gold but good lord they botched it.

HBO has 38M US subscribers. Only 8M of them previously was HBO Max but I think you add another 5M because of the transfer of Amazon Fire accounts. But it's a lateral shift. They need new subscribers. HBO was just in a different position than Disney+. It was an established service for decades, was a streaming service before Disney+ (Go and Now) and then decided to be a streaming service with original content.

Star Wars is just a different entity but maybe if they had the GOT prequel ready to go strictly on streaming, or some other type of DC show ready last march, their numbers may have been better. Instead other DC shows are already getting casted and moving forward while shows like JLD & GLC have no news about them.

I agree it's got a **** ton going for it. I just got it a week ago and my roommate and I have been watching nothing but max since getting it. But if it had no buzz and some people have trouble distinguishing HBO Go and other HBO branded platforms from HBO max(an issue apparently they're fixing), then there is no way for people to know about how great the HBO Max content is. I believe Wonder Woman 1984 will fix that. They will come for wonder woman linger on the content that they didn't know HBO Max had and more will come for Snyder. I don't know, maybe I am crazy, but I have a good feeling HBO Max and DC properties in general are going to do just fine. I think they are finally on a good trajectory after all these years. I really see HBO max uniting the DC fandom. The Snyder fans will get what they want. The people who hate Snyder will still get big screen theatrical releases that have nothing to do with him. I honestly think that this whole situation is just what Warner Brothers needs right now. while HBO Max haven't gotten Disney plus numbers yet. Their numbers have not been bad like many posters here have suggested. They are doing decent and they ARE steadily growing. When the dust settles over the "streaming wars" I have a feeling that HBO Max will at least end up in 3rd place. And DC as always will be their cash cow.

I just think everyone here needs to relax. We don't live in a big box office world right now. And nobody knows when we will live in a world like that again. I know many of you are from outside the US so many of you don't realize how bad thing are in the US right now. The theater industry is on its knees and its going to take a while to fix it. I don't want to get too into it but our country has been managed by monkeys over the last four years. People are going to food banks on mass. evictions are on the rise at an incredibly alarming rate. Policy to reverse these trends can not even begin to happen until the end of January 2021 so its not likely that our theater industry among other things will be back anytime soon.

Last edited:
Wish some IMAX screens in my area were open again, but will be perfectly fine seeing this on a normal screen. Hoping to get a ticket next week.

That and I would just love to get my hand on one of those posters!

One thing that would help is to just get rid of stuff like the CW App. That should be part of Max. They are starting to roll the shows over but so much is missing due to licensing and other BS. Stargirl is there but none of the Arrowverse shows are. (outside of Batwoman) That is ridiculous. That is hours of content to watch. Plus none of the old Timmverse cartoons outside of Teen Titans Go. No Batman, No Superman Adventures, no JLU no Batman Beyond. Again that is hundreds of episodes not available.

They werent ready to launch when they launched and so what they have now is sort of a Max Beta which would be fine if that is what it was supposed to be...but this is supposed to be a major subscription service for one of the biggest content providers in the world. I defend it to hell because once you have it you realize it is gold but good lord they botched it.

You dont kill your networks profit margins by getting rid of it when you are able to cross stream the content if you want to. CBS was smart that they made a deal where they are able to stream their content alongside Peacock and now Netflix. The Arrowverse shows arent on HBO Max, not because its on CW(seed) app but because Netflix has exclusive streaming rights apart from TheCW having the rights to put it on their app for X amount of days.

But there is no need to license that to Netflix you have your own friggin service. Do that internationally while Max is still small but in the States that is just dumb. That was a built in base who would have tried out Max right away.

AT&T is too reactionary they aren't forward thinking enough. The second they decided to start a service they should have been planning to bring everything under their roof. Notice that Disney cancelled the Marvel Netflix shows because they want content they own on their service. Netflix has rights to those shows so they walked away.

AT&T rushed the whole thing, planned out none of it and are paying for it. Their business choices for most things are mediocre which is why their cell service is mocked endlessly. They just don't think ahead of plan.

But there is no need to license that to Netflix you have your own friggin service. Do that internationally while Max is still small but in the States that is just dumb. That was a built in base who would have tried out Max right away.

AT&T is too reactionary they aren't forward thinking enough. The second they decided to start a service they should have been planning to bring everything under their roof. Notice that Disney cancelled the Marvel Netflix shows because they want content they own on their service. Netflix has rights to those shows so they walked away.

These are old contracts though. They havent renewed the contracts for their Arrowverse shows which is why Batwoman is on HBO Max. They have to wait for these contracts to run their course before they can do anything.

Was it Disney who cancelled the shows or Netflix? Netflix decided they had nothing to gain. They had these shows long enough that they could've produced another season if they wanted but why help your competitor?

Then wait to roll out. The roll out was a disaster anyways how about wait until you have the content to justify it. Then you can also fix the Now/Go issue as well. But nope just decided to roll it out and hope for the best and set themselves more behind and with awful press to boot.

My friend joined AT&T when they had exclusive rights to the IPHONE way back when. That rollout was actually worse than this. Her service was so putrid it was laughable. I had a worse phone and Sprint and it ran laps around her.

They should have planned this all better. They didn't and are paying for it.

Then wait to roll out. The roll out was a disaster anyways how about wait until you have the content to justify it. Then you can also fix the Now/Go issue as well. But nope just decided to roll it out and hope for the best and set themselves more behind and with awful press to boot.

My friend joined AT&T when they had exclusive rights to the IPHONE way back when. That rollout was actually worse than this. Her service was so putrid it was laughable.

While I agree the rollout was a disaster, it was hardly because they didnt have the Arrowverse shows. That's the least of HBO Max's problem lol. DC Universe on the other hand.....

But HBO Max rolling out and not being available on Firestick? Having 2 other HBO apps still active? Having to postpone your biggest seller (Friends reunion)? Having to pay money to run your own franchise lol (Harry Potter) for a month...Those were Max's problem.

That was just an example I used cause I was scrolling the app at that point looking for what is missing. It's honestly low priority :)

(I love the Arrowverse but wouldn't watch it yet...but if the Pandemic does end it is a good space filler)

No Timmverse makes me sad though...

I am praying I get to go as well...stupid COVID Hoaxers!!
Hope you're able to go. :up:

NGL, each member of our family bought their ticket separately just because AMC blocks off the seats around each transaction (and the rows in front and behind are already blocked out) while we're actually gonna sit together, so that basically ensured our group will be hella social distanced from anyone else in that room as the nearest seat for sale is like 7 seats away. :hehe:

I think this movie will be fine but I don't think it'll be as good as the first film. I can see Kirstin Wiigg's Cheetah being divisive. I think the CGI on her is very good but CGI villains can often be hit and miss with audiences. Chris Pine is probably going to return to the dead to try and keep whatever is left of DCEU continuity together.

Pedro Pascal is going to be good I reckon. I love how he's based on 1980's Donald Trump.

People have complained already, but I'll beat the horse dead: HBO Max needs to be available to places outside of the USA. I'm in Canada and I don't think I'll even be able to see it. Also not risking going to theaters at this point.... UGH.

People have complained already, but I'll beat the horse dead: HBO Max needs to be available to places outside of the USA. I'm in Canada and I don't think I'll even be able to see it. Also not risking going to theaters at this point.... UGH.

I have my fingers crossed for you guys they will work out an VOD type deal...

Cinemas are closed until 10th January here :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"