Wonder Woman Costume Suggestions

From Josh McMahon
BDD434F2-8EE9-4467-AEEA-4195494441F4-2236-000003751BB074CD_zpsb3d646b3.jpg

Though I agree 100%, let's remove the sexism from it entirely (simply for the sake of argument*) and look at it just from a style standpoint:

I just don't think it makes Wonder Woman look like a warrior. Especially when she stands alongside others in the Justice League, its pretty clear that the men especially (Superman, Batman, etc) mean business, while Wonder Woman exists as wank material.

I just want her to look more like a warrior. I'm not really sure why there's push-back against that. Warriors, even warriors who happen to be women, don't wear one-piece swimsuits when they're fighting. I don't think there's anything controversial about that point at all...

(*For the record, I'm not disagreeing with you at all. It's just that well... I'll come out and say it. I don't like the classic suit. I think it makes Wonder Woman look like a chauvinistic male fantasy [tying her up makes her weak... could that not be any more obvious?], and makes her look like a joke next to heroes like Batman and Superman... which, sadly, seems to be the fate of every woman hero, since I guess they are never taken as seriously as the men heroes, which really sucks. I want to see WW in a suit that takes her more seriously as an actual hero.)

Fine no one's forcing to fall in love with the costume. But stop with this, she needs to look like a warrior schtick. They are superheroes. Aside from a minute few, they all dress nonsensically, and extravangantly. Its fun, its cool, and colourful. Do you know how boring it would be if superheroes dressed practical. The industry would die in months if not weeks.

Pssh, the men look like they mean business? Their costumes are about as nonsensical as hers is, some even more so. Hal is supposed to be a cop, yet he wears a onesie, and how does a cape help Batman, except imepede his movement? Point case they all dress like freaks.

Wondie's suit is cool, artistically and sexually appealing, but yet even I wouldn't want her to be in live-action with it, but for the love of God stop this "she can't be taken seriously unless she has armor" BS.

Horny adolescent or sexual bigot?

yeah, let's keep "classic", let's pretend that being bound by a man it's still not a stupid and chauvinistic weakness to a strong, smart and powerful example of an heroine.

I see you've stopped being coherent:doh:, and are now just uttering stupid things. When you've decided to make common sense your best friend, then continue.

This was done very quickly but you can see the what I mean by the basic design. I think that something like this would be idea.

Hi :yay:

I came up with this manip as I wanted to materialise Wonder Woman’s original costume ( new 52’s one ) because I think it would look good in the movie:

486370WonderWomannew52Real.jpg

I’ve been noticing lately a lot of suggestions with costumes too much based on a Greek Roman style or looking too much Medieval.

I don’t think that would be a good idea for a Wonder Woman costume in a modern and realistic movie. ( unless they would be eventually needed for some particular flashback scenes or for an alternative ceremonial costume), Wonder Woman is not Xena

Just like for Superman’s costume in Man of Steel which remains modern, faithful to the comics’, and still reminding of his alien origins, I think it would be possible to make a modern Wonder Woman costume by including some subtile elements in reference to her divine and mythological origins ( As in Thor for instance in Thos The Dark World).

As an example here with this costume, I kept the two stars on Wonder Woman’s shorts but the difference resides in the shape as I chose to insert Greec stars instead of American ones (just as in the S of Man of Steel that might be considered as an Alien Shield ).

I think that it is all a matter of balance. The perfectly modern Man of Steel costume prouves that a costume can remain faithful and modern at the same time. Most of all, we should not have a very realistic image of the costume in mind (like the too much Greeko- roman costume for Wonder Woman).
I included some medieval or Greco-Roman accessories in a discreet fashion in order to keep the balance between a costume faithful to the comics and the mythological origins of Wonder woman.

Last but not least, I just wanted to say a couple of things about the rumors going on about Jaimie Alexander. I think she’s a cool actrice, I like her and she’s a beautiful woman.

However, I don’t think she could embody the ideal Wonder Woman (in a faithful way), she looks too young for that. Wonder Woman has to be just like Henry Cavill is for Superman, we need a charismatic actress in her thirties and an actress with a “Femme Fatale” style (without looking trashy), just like Henry Cavill who looks like a very handsome and matured man. I don’t think it would be enough for an actress to have dark hair, blue eyes and to be pretty looking (and even to have a medieval armor as in Thor 1 and 2 with a little bit of red ) to look like Wonder Woman. Some actresses who have not been listed look much more like Wonder Woman than Jaimie does.

So I really hope that Warner Bros won’t be taking the easy route and will choose an actress who will be able to faithfully interpret Wonder Woman.

Some actresses like Katheryn Winnick, Yulia Singir, Tanit Phoenix, or Megan Gale (who was chosen for the George Miller project) would make a beautiful Wonder Woman.

I too am irked by the amount of people who post Xena-like manips of Wonder Woman, dull leather and all.

However, I don't think the bathing suit is the answer. At least not when its that skimpy.

I think the battle skirt can work, as could pants. It just needs to be made with the right materials. Something that is sleek, pristine, and not of our world.

Great manip though!

Last edited:
I think JMC got it right. Both times. I've yet to see any other rendition that's surpassed his work.

Wonder Woman isn't Xena but Xena had a damn good outfit that should be morphed into a WW costume. Barely can even take her serious in that outfit, not everything translates to film which is why Batman and Superman don't wear spandex in their films with underwear.

I came up with this manip as I wanted to materialise Wonder Woman’s original costume ( new 52’s one ) because I think it would look good in the movie:

I like what you've got here, however, I would prefer the accents on the costume be gold rather than silver.

I think the reason I like this rather than the armored look is because it just instantly "scans" as Wonder Woman, rather than "Generic Female Warrior."

I would have no problem with WW wearing more than one outfit over the course of a series of films, but I think for her first appearance it would be best for her to look very close to this sort of look which has been more or less standard in the public consciousness for 50 years or more.

The suit in that manip is well-made, and she actually doesn't look too bad standing next to Superman, but I honestly think she'd look better if she wasn't wearing the underwear. My attention is being drawn to her crotch instead of taking in the suit as a whole, which isn't a good thing.

The same costume (New 52) doesn't look skimpy when Chiang draws it, where the bottoms look more like the shape of volleyball shorts than a bathing suit, and the top covers any cleavage.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of doing another one after the recent news.

I really hate saying this but I would really be focused on only one thing if she looked like that.

I'm thinking of doing another one after the recent news.

Will you be keeping the white piping? Aside from that, I really think it's perfect. I like that the white piping eases the design into another material, but I only like that piping on the blue part of the suit, since the blue already has white stars. On the red, it just doesn't work as well, that red section works best when it's solid red. To me, that section of unbroken up red makes the suit look powerful.

Last edited:
Is anyone here familiar with both Jimenez and Perez' runs on the book? There is the inspiration the film makers need. What they both get right is that Diana should have multiple looks. That the red, blue and yellow/gold, stars, eagle and WW symbol are non negotiable, you use them as starting points and motifs for MULTIPLE outfits in her wardrobe though. Yes, in a live action film have at least one or two sequences, however you justify them, of her in the "classic" outfit. But showcase her in many different looks through out that have the identifiable WW signifiers.

Last edited:

I like what you did right here but I think the bottoms are a bit too skimpy…any sort of real fighting or movement and we might be seeing her 'paradise island'

why is giving her pants a bad thing?

Last edited:
I know I am going to get rapped on the mouth for this roach, cuz it's totally non-rational, and I am admitting it as so upfront... But the reason you don't put WW in pants is the same reason you don't take away Superman or Batman's capes. Just saying.

Will you be keeping the white piping? Aside from that, I really think it's perfect. I like that the white piping eases the design into another material, but I only like that piping on the blue part of the suit, since the blue already has white stars. On the red, it just doesn't work as well, that red section works best when it's solid red. To me, that section of unbroken up red makes the suit look powerful.

I'm thinking of doing a complete reinvention because all designs I've done to date have been for a solo WW film. I'd have to do something that suits the Man of Steel world.

I'm looking forward to it. You're the superhero manip master

I know I am going to get rapped on the mouth for this roach, cuz it's totally non-rational, and I am admitting it as so upfront... But the reason you don't put WW in pants is the same reason you don't take away Superman or Batman's capes. Just saying.

I don't think her legs are that iconic...

I don't think her legs are that iconic...

I'd say that the general look of her outfit is iconic and that she traditionally has bare legs. In any case, I think a pure translation of the classic "bikini" look is not ideal. Maybe, in the context of one or two specific scenes you could get away with it, but as THE look for a live action film it poses too many problems, practically first of all and, yeah, there is a thematic wall you just are not likely to get over if you put her in the classic outfit.

It's like no one here has bothered to look at George Perez or Phil Jimenez' body of work on the character. They brought the "realism" while also keeping all the iconic signifiers. That's exactly the approach needed here. They had her in casual wear, (mission specific) battle armors of all types, ceremonial clothing, gowns, all of them with the WW symbol, blue/red, stars and eagle. Some, yes, even covered her legs :cwink: but none ever made you question that this was something WW would wear. Jimenez even made Carter's "Aqua" outfit part of comics' continuity. The movie needs costumes, not just a costume. Whom ever is designated the costume designer needs to look to Perez and Jimenez. Under their pen she always looked cool and never exploitive.

Last edited:
^So is underwear over spandex but that didn't stop them from changing it.

Is anyone here familiar with both Jimenez and Perez' runs on the book? There is the inspiration the film makers need. What they both get right is that Diana should have multiple looks. That the red, blue and yellow/gold, stars, eagle and WW symbol are non negotiable, you use them as starting points and motifs for MULTIPLE outfits in her wardrobe though. Yes, in a live action film have at least one or two sequences, however you justify them, of her in the "classic" outfit. But showcase her in many different looks through out that have the identifiable WW signifiers.

This is what I'm talking about. This would be awesome. Something that takes from the classic suit as her basic fighting suit, but with additions for different kinds of fights, leading to a full warrior outfit for the climax/major fight. Everyone gets what they want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"