Wonder Woman villains: a discussion thread

Silvermoth

Krakoan native
Reaction score
Who should be the villain of Wonder Woman 2? Circe intrigues me especially if Cheetah is involved but Maxwell Lord would be perfect for a modern villain.

Any casting ideas?

Actually Herules would be an interesting one. Wish I had thought to include him. And you know who could play him well? Eric Bana

I don't know if Cheetah is a good follow up to a god.

They might want to follow Donner again and make a General Zod type character.

Cheetah is kind of like a demi-god like Diana. She is blessed/cursed by a God which is a reason why she can go toe to toe with Diana. She is a character that revels in the kill and doesn't hold back compared to Diana. It would be a good contrast.

But the best way to set up Cheetah is letting the audience get to know her before she goes down her dark path. Have her and Diana connect pre-Cheetah. Barbara Minera would be the best version of the character to use since she is an archaeologist which would go nicely with Diana being an antiques dealer.

But I don't think Cheetah escalates the tension with Wonder Woman emotionally.And visually Cheetah isn't intimidating. There's a reason the Wolfman is a character that attacks at night.

Usually to hide the limitations of the costume budget.

A ravenous werebeast is threatening enough, I should think.

Because of the horror aspect allows for nasty stuff to happen and it's silent. A walking, talking cat isn't the same.

Hopefully they read Gail Simone's The Circle for the next villain.

Cheetah for the sequel, then Circe in the third film.

I don't know if Cheetah is a good follow up to a god.

They might want to follow Donner again and make a General Zod type character.

I think the best villains are always the more personal ones rather than just more powerful. Zod was important because he represented a bad version of superman and therefore was supermans mirror opposite

Hopefully they read Gail Simone's The Circle for the next villain.

Agreed!

And if they do cast Circe I hope they get Rachel weisz

Agreed!

And if they do cast Circe I hope they get Rachel weisz
No. I said the CIRCLE not Circe.

http://www.carolastrickland.com/comics/wwcentral/post-C_index/synopses/3_14synop.html

I think the best villains are always the more personal ones rather than just more powerful. Zod was important because he represented a bad version of superman and therefore was supermans mirror opposite
The Circle fits that trope better. It's a story about a group of traitors that think Hippolyta and Diana are unfit to lead so they stage a coupe.

It's a way to explore feminism and dissent without going too deep one way or the other.

Cheetah brings a personal threat and has a striking iconography. Perfect for the middle chapter.

The Circle and an Amazonian civil war would be a hell of a way to cap off a Wonder Woman trilogy. You could even make Circe the leader of the heretics. End the film with Hippolyta's death and Diana taking her place as Queen.

That's what I'd do.

Last edited:
Let's not get ahead of ourselves on a trilogy lol. I think Maxwell Lord makes more sense. That way JL2 could be about Brother Eye.

Cheetah brings a personal threat and has a striking iconography. Perfect for the middle chapter.

The Circle and an Amazonian civil war would be a hell of a way to cap off a Wonder Woman trilogy. You could even make Circe the leader of the heretics. End the film with Hippolyta's death and Diana taking her place as Queen.

That's what I'd do.

Perfect! This is basically what I want. Cheetah as the main threat for the second film and then Circe in the 3rd.

I'm thinking they may save Giganta for a JL movie. Then it just becames WW fighting an evil version of Giant Man.

I don't think so, she's pretty cool in the rucka run and imagine Diana going up against someone with the speed of a xenomorph and twice as nasty

Going to copy and paste what I said about using Cheetah as the main villain for the sequel. You need to remember that sequels don't have to get bigger/be bigger to succeed. I feel like bringing an emotional struggle is where the second needs to go with the villain.

You could easily bring Barbara in as a a friend to Diana Prince, and tie it into her civilian job as a curator. Have Barbara come across the artifact that would turn her into an immortal cheetah goddess but it doesn't go to plan. It'd create a very interesting dynamic since Diana wouldn't want to kill her, but to try and save. You could have the power of Cheetah increase over time to be one of the conflicts to go against since Diana wouldn't want to hurt a friend but she might have to.

"Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it."

Make a sequel that's somewhat smaller in scale (IE it doesn't have to be an "end of the world" plot necessary), but is even more personal this time.

Cheetah is not only Diana's polar opposite in so many ways, but when written correctly she's more than a physical threat to her to. And you can even do some cool and/or creepy stuff with the transformation sequences (other films have done so). Also she's no more silly a concept than say, The Joker, and yet no one mocks him or doesn't take him seriously.

And you can even add some more drama to it potentially if you make Barbara and Diana friends pre-the former going bad, or heck maybe even have Barbara be Diana's new LI, etc.

Here's a narrative throughline to use with the Cheetah:

Barbara Minerva is Evil Lara Croft, doing whatever she wants to find ancient artifacts, and then either keeping or selling them, with no concern for what harm comes. This leads to conflict with Diana, who tries to stop that kind of thing. She does so, repeatedly, but is otherwise fairly gentle with Barbara, because Diana views her as wayward more than malign. This actually irks Barbara, a lot, because she sees it as demeaning. And so she seeks to get enough power to fight back, and actually beat Diana. She does so, merging with the power of an ancient god and becoming the Cheetah.

At this point, she feels like she's free to ignore and disregard Diana. She does her usual routine, only when Wonder Woman show's up to stop her, she transforms into a cat-beast, and fights her to. . . lets say a victorious draw, the kind where Diana doesn't lose, but she is driven away enough that Barbara can continue her business. This emboldens her, and she starts getting even more reckless in her artifact-mongering, since she "doesn't need to fear anyone anymore".

This goes about the way you'd think, as she eventually bites off more than she can chew, and unearths or sells or whatnot some artifact that isn't just evil, but really really disastrously dangerous. She thinks she has everything under control, and then finds out how wrong she is, and stuff she cares about ( whether personal possessions or personal associates ) are the first to suffer for it. She then has to swallow her pride, and outright go to ask Diana for help. Which Diana gives, and while she's uncompromising in her judgement of the situation, she also offers an open hand to Barbara.

At movie's end, the disaster is averted, and the day saved. Barbara Minerva. . . is still the Cheetah. And she's still an amoral artifact hunter. But. . . she shows definite signs that she's not as callous and amoral as she was before. Is she still a supervillain? In the general sense, sure; maybe even end the movie with another clash between her and Diana. However, *Diana* thinks that she's made a major step forward, and approves of this. And hey, just because you haven't fully redeemed doesn't mean that each little step of becoming a better person isn't worthwhile.

I don't think so, she's pretty cool in the rucka run and imagine Diana going up against someone with the speed of a xenomorph and twice as nasty

Except you can't show anything as nasty as what a xenomorph does.

If I were going to do Cheetah, I'd put Priscilla Rich in as her grandmother who Diana befriended after the war and fighting for the right to vote. And that's how she knows about Diana's secret identity, and why Diana wants to save her.

I would have the Barbara Minerva version as a disgraced Amazon who gets kicked out of paradise. Then she gets picked up by Circe who turns her into her cat version

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"