WonderCon Part 1: DC Nation Panel

Binker

Superhero
Reaction score
From Newsarama:

Kicking off at 4:00, the DC Nation panel at Wonder Con played to a packed room of DC fans. Joking at the fact that some of the assembled panelists had just done the same panel exactly one week earlier in New York, DCU Executive Editor and moderator Dan Didio joked that they would pretty much repeat themselves, though there was plenty of new information offered up for consumption.

Didio kicked off the panel by going over the rules, specifically the “quid pro quo” format, that is, in order to ask a question, the individual has to answer a question.

Opening the panel with a mention of Countdown, Didio asked how the audience liked weekly comics, and asked if anyone was burnt out yet – “As long as you keep it the same price!” came a voice from the audience. To answer, Didio pulled fifty cents out of his pocket with a chuckle, plopped it on the table and said, “I’ve got your first one covered, you’ve got to get the rest.”

Didio then introduced the rest of the panel members: Bob Wayne, Editor Jann Jones, Superman Editor Matt Idelson; and Green Arrow, Outsiders and Trial of Shazam Judd Winick.

Didio then reiterated the Countdown information from last week’s DC Nation panel at New York Comic Con, including showing the five teaser images. “He was not a Justice League International member,” Didio joked when pointing out the “Jimmy Olsen Must Die” image, “So if he dies, obviously I didn’t come up with it.”

Likewise, Didio joked that Winick has nothing to do with the Mary Marvel storyline, “The Seduction of the Innocent” so fans can breathe a sigh of relief.

“Hey – I put her in a coma,” Winick shot back, “You’re taking her out.”
Didio then went on to discuss the upcoming World War III event tied to 52, saying that it’s “Black Adam versus everybody,” as well as pointing out that the World War III specials will address many of the changes in titles seen as part of One Year Later.

“You’re like this over-caffeinated history teacher,” Winick said of Didio after the latter ran through the entire timeline of the DCU of the past three years, and how it leads to Countdown, which will run in real-time, that is, one month of Countdown equals one month of time in the DCU.
“The idea is to keep the universe moving, and keep it moving forward, and there will be events that tie in across the series,” Didio said.

Prompted by Didio to reveal something coming up that’s a tie-in, Winick said that there will be a “June wedding.”

Quickly changing the subject, Didio immediately referred back to last week’s question in New York about the Flash in the Countdown teaser image being Barry Allen, and Jason Todd being Red Robin. Didio clarified his previous answer, saying “That’s not the case, at least not completely. When it doesn’t happen that Barry Allen comes running back, don’t come running to me, I wasn’t lying, I was confused.”

Green Arrow will end with #75, Winick said, adding that the very last page of the issue features Oliver Queen offering an engagement ring to Black Canary. With that issue, Winick said, he’ll be off the series and character.

Didio said that the repercussions of the engagement will be felt throughout Countdown and the DCU, and when prodded, Wayne said that there will most likely be a miniseries spin out of the end of the series.
Winick said that “repercussions” seen will involve other heroes throughout the DCU weighing in on the engagement.

Moving on to questions, in speaking of current developments in 52, Didio said of Isis: “I wouldn’t say she’s doomed, but there’s a lot more pain in Black Adam’s life before World War III.”

Other highlights from the Q&A:

The four issue Green Arrow Year One miniseries will begin in July, by Andy Diggle and Jock; at the same time there will be a Black Canary miniseries (which Wayne was referring to earlier) by Tony Bedard and Paulo Siquera. The plan for further year ones will be that they will launch every three months, allowing for a small amount of overlap between them.

There are no plans to put a memorial for Stephanie Brown in the Batcave, Didio said, noting that she became Robin out of her own resort, was never accepted into the full role and Bat-family, and died as Spoiler, not as Robin.

Superman’s continuity and origin issues will be addressed at some time, and there is an idea for it all, Idelson said, they’re just not planning on doing it soon. Adding to this, Didio said that DC wants to add in other large pieces of the continuity and mythology before going back and addressing the origin.

“World War III” Didio said in answer to a question if Supergirl will be returning to the present day from the Legion’s time. There will be a change in the title, he added.

Issues #5 and #6 of All-Star Batman and Robin are done, with #5 being solicited. All-Star Superman is going ahead, and no more All-Star books will be launched without a couple of issues in the can, Didio said.

Back to the Countdown teaser image – is the Batman shown Damien? Didio: “No – but there is a tie to it. You’re in the ballpark.”

Will the character of Chloe on Smallville be pulled into DC continuity? Idelson: It’s something we’re trying to do next year.

Will Jack Knight appear in 52? He was supposed to… Winick: “A lot of things were supposed to happen in 52

Didio added that after each issue in the coming 52 trades, there will be a commentary about the issue, and as Didio said, after he wrote his for issue #2, he was able to look back and see how much the story had changed from the original plan. Jack Knight, Didio said, was something that fell into one of the changes and didn’t make it in as the story morphed from the original plan.

Winick joined in saying that the original plan for 52 was that the changes reflected in the DCU titles in One Year Later were to be specifically addressed, but that changed as the story grew, and the main viewpoint characters’ tales began to grow and overtake the other stories. He then praised the 52 writers for their work, saying that they lived and burned themselves out for the story that ultimately came out.

“And this is why all our books are late,” Idelson said in exasperation as the question posed by Jones of “What are you more scared of, fast-running zombies or vampires with machine guns?” turned into a full-room debate, joking that they have had meetings that have gone about that very question for hours.

“We want Dick Grayson to be older than Bruce Wayne,” Didio joked back when asked about the real time “year-by-year” length of DC’s events such as 52 and Countdown and the age of their characters.

Didio said that there is hope for another solo Power Girl series.

“Come back when you’re older, and I’ll fill you in,” Didio answered a young fan’s of if Chris in Action Comics could become the new Superboy. It is widely believed that the “Superboy” character is in a legal gray area due to the activities of the Siegel family in attempting to regain the copyright to the name of the character.

A new Metal Men miniseries will be coming, written and drawn by Duncan Roleau.

Alan Burnett will write Superman/Batman arc with Dustin Nguyen which will feature a New Gods character that is rarely used.

Will Atom Smasher be joining the JSA again? Didio: “No. He will be joining another team.”

Didio reiterated that Manhunter will be continuing and will begin again with issue #31, starting in July.

Didio hinted that, in terms of Batman storylines, that Terry McGuiness (Batman Beyond) may be showing up somewhere in the DCU soon.

“It was so experimental that even I didn’t know about it,” Didio said of Grant Morrison’s recent issue of Batman which featured a prose story.

Didio said that as DC had a couple of other Joker stories going, he wanted to make his experimental and different, and stand out.

Pointing to the dead Question image in the Countdown teaser image, Didio said that’s his only appearance that will be coming out after 52.

James Robinson does have a story in mind for more Jack Knight stories, and the door is open, Didio said, now, scheduled just need to match up.

Will Booster Gold stay as Booster Gold, or assume the Supernova identity? Didio: Wait until 52 #52 comes out.

A collected edition of the O’Neil/Cowan Question series? Wayne: “We’ll see.”

Jerry Ordway has a Superman project coming, Idelson revealed.
What’s going on with the Monitors? Didio: Countdown – trust me.
Lightning Round:

The Firestorm series: can it be saved like Manhunter? Didio: Not right
now.

Are lesbians the only ones having sex in the DCU? How about some boy on boy action? Didio: See those two guys chained together in the Villains Defiant Countdown poster? Wayne: Cold nights out there on the run…

A Krypto/Beppo All-Star series? Wayne: If they can get it out on time, sure.

Are there hopes that Captain Atom will not become Monarch? Didio: I think the answer is too late.

Will the Bleed be addressed in Countdown? Didio: Yes.

Captain Carrot and the Final Ark will begin in August.

Will Swamp Thing go back to the original DCU? Didio: We ask every day. We really do.

Anything planned with Alex Ross after Justice? Idelson: Sort of.

Is Legion of Super Heroes going to end at #30? Didio: No.

Will Detective Chimp ever have its own series? Didio: I hope so.

Anything going on with the Crime Syndicate? Didio: Yes. (not clarified if questioner meant Earth-3 or the Crime Syndicate from the JLA hardcover)
Will there be more materials coming out for kids from 10 and up? Didio: Stay. Tuned. Seriously.

Didio hinted that, in terms of Batman storylines, that Terry McGuiness (Batman Beyond) may be showing up somewhere in the DCU soon.

Goddamn it.:huh: :cmad: :csad: :whatever:

I was there! I sat in the second row from front, totally within javelin distance of the panel. If I had a javelin, I could have skewered them.

“We want Dick Grayson to be older than Bruce Wayne,” Didio joked back when asked about the real time “year-by-year” length of DC’s events such as 52 and Countdown and the age of their characters.
This question was mine! Didio totally didn't even let me finish, too; I just wanted to know if Tim Drake was gonna graduate from high school if we keep having these yearly continuity thingies. But I really phrased the question badly, anyway. And then Judd Winick jokingly said I was being selfish, 'cause when he read Green Arrow he was much younger than Ollie and now he's older than him. It was funnier in context. I felt so proud:O.

I also asked during the lightning round if Piper is sort of a villain now again; apparently newsarama missed it. Didio's answer was yes.

Overall the vibe as cool and jokey, but I was surprised at how *****ey some audience members could be at these things; if you just read these articles, you have no idea, 'cause they leave that part out. Someone asked if Mia was going to die of AIDS, some else shouted out "no one cares" when Didio asked the audience if they wanted to see Conner (Superboy) back, and someone else asked specifically when Blue Beetle and [another title that I don't remember now]were to stop being boring. I mean...yeah, sure, "ha ha," but come on. Way to be *****ey.

I also went to the spotlights on Phil Jimenez and Winick. Jimenez is so gay. It's awesome. Practically half the discussion was over his work on Wonder Woman, with some tidbits on Infinite Crisis. One minor noteworthy thing he said was that, when asked about the collaborative efforts between writers and artists, he said that there was this one thing about Wonder Woman he really didn't agree with in IC#1. And then considering that later on in the hour he mentions he doesn't like vengeful, bloodthirsty, trigger-happy characters, it's not real hard to figure out just what he disagreed with.

It's funny that during the DC Nation panel Judd was reluctant to reveal any Connor Hawke plans and whether or not he's going to use him again, but during his own spotlight (which was earlier in the day), he confirmed that he Connor is coming back -- not immediately, but at some point -- and that Dragon's Blood continuity is going to factor. Oh yeah, and he says Shado is coming back too. Probably to cause much drama and angst prior to the proposal, I'm guessing. Winick gave the impression that he was ending his run pretty much because he was just fresh out of steam.

Anyway it was great, there's totally more interesting stuff that I don't remember right now, probably involving lesbians or something, and I'm going tomorrow and Sunday too.

F**K YOU DAN DIDIO FOR CANCELLING ALL MY FAVORITE BOOKS :cmad:
dude dont worry .. Green arrow issent beeing canceld its just changing its name

and ahhh a June wedding.. how nice with the summer and the stuff and stuff..

Green Arrow will end with #75, Winick said, adding that the very last page of the issue features Oliver Queen offering an engagement ring to Black Canary. With that issue, Winick said, he’ll be off the series and character.
About time.. he has been good and all but DANM he has been on that book for a long time now
i just hope that there is a new artist as well..
and looks like the wedding will be in a tie in miniseries..

Green Arrow needs to come back in some form. It's some of the better mainstream titles Dc has right now, and Ollie needs his own book.

Has anyone heard what plans there are for the title after #75?

I read somewhere that the title was being changed to Green Arrow/Black Canary. After the wedding, of course.

winnick's green arrow really blows. im glad he's getting off the book, i hope someone more exciting takes over.

and green arrow needs to stay solo, the hell with black canary.

Remember, if GAH hates it, its a good idea. :up:

Somewhat related
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=103614

Readers will see Shado, Connor Hawke’s mother in the series soon. Winick said that he likes the complicating dynamic that she brings to the title, that is, adding a mother to the father and son relationship of Ollie and Connor.

WTF? that WRONG! Shado is NOT! Connors mother.. Shado is Roberts mother
i shuuuuuuure hope it wassnt Winick who said that just the dud who wrote the stuff that got it wrong..

Day 2 from Newsarama:

Dan Didio introduced the DCU: Great Expectations panel at WonderCon on Saturday afternoon, and brought the panelists up on stage: Bob Wayne, Jann Jones, Matt Idelson, Adam Beechen and Judd Winick.

Didio then opened the discussion portion of the panel with a recap of Countdown for audience members who missed Friday’s DC Nation panel.

Note – as usual, DC panels are a chaotic, rollicking time with many asides, off topic comments, and occasional off color comments. This panel was no different. Despite what may come across in the text virtually every answer was said with a laugh, and in a spirit of fun.

“We’re counting down to a really, really big event,” Beechen said when asked by Didio what Countdown is counting down to. It was then announced by Didio that Beechen and along with Tony Bedard and Jim Calafiore have signed exclusives contacts with the publisher.

Before moving on to questions, Dido showed the Countdown teaser image again, nothing that it has been said that a picture is worth a thousand words, and this one is worth a million, given everything that’s going on in it. To stress his pint, Didio noted that everything in the image is important – how the characters are colored or lit, where they’re standing, how they’re looking, and what they’re wearing. Didio then recognized and thanked Phil Jimenez who drew the image and was in the audience for the panel.

The panel then moved to questions from the audience as well as Didio asking panelists questions. As per our usual format, the paraphrased fan question or comment is followed bythe panelists’ responses. ghlights included:

Is the event Countdown is counting down to occurring in June of 2008, which is Superman’s 80th anniversary? Didio: No – we’ve got large plans for Superman, but Countdown will end in April, not June.

Will DC be bringing back Earth -3? Didio: Is he talking about the multiverse? Wayne: It would appear so. Didio: There are stories that are coming down the pipeline. Not that I want to give anything away – not that I’m conforming or denying anything.

The last two pages of 52 #43 – that was harsh. Didio: Those characters were created just for that moment – that was always going to be the end of that story. The gruesome death was always the plan from day one.

Will the two page origin stories be back in Countdown? Didio: I cannot state if there will be origins in the back of Countdown, but if you like origin stories, weekly comics would be the place to look.

What made you decide to replace the Question? Didio: That was always set from the beginning of 52.

Which Flash is in the Countdown teaser image? Beechen: The fast one. (note – Didio has already said that he was mistaken when he said that the Flash shown was Barry Allen)

Will we see more of Terry McGuiness in the DCU after his appearance in Superman/Batman? Didio: We are considering it. Imagine if there was a multiverse where there were many worlds where there would be one where Terry McGuiness was Batman…

Didn’t Grant Morrison already do World War III in JLA? Didio: The event was led up to, but it never happened – the League prevented it. What’s coming up in 52 will become what the DCU will know as “World War III.”

Will we see Animal Man again? Didio: His story is not over. He will be seen in 52 coming up.

Pointing out the Amazons Attack slide, Didio asked who was reading Wonder Woman, which was answered by cries of “When it comes out.”

“We deserve that,” Didio said, and then outlined the coming plans on the ongoing Wonder Woman series, with Idelson adding that they are hoping to have the Wonder Woman Special with the conclusion of Allan Heinberg’s “Who is Wonder Woman” coming out in September.

“Hey – you – you want to come up and talk for a while, we’re talking about late books,” Didio interrupted, pointing out Jim Lee in the back of the room. Lee then joined the panelists, saying, “All of [ASB&R] #5 is done, colored and penciled; all of #6 is done. We’re trying to stockpile the issues before they start coming out again.”

Lee added that Frank Miller has written the series through issue #8.

Asked about his previously stated desire to kill Nightwing, Didio said that Winick was also involved in the idea as well; and the idea originally got rolling because he felt that Nightwing was slightly redundant in the DCU, “not quite Batman, not quite Robin.” Nightwing’s death, originally, was supposed to be the death that would pull Wonder Woman, Batman, and Superman back together.

The New Gods as they appeared in Firestorm and Grant Morrison’s take on them in Seven Soldiers were different. How can readers reconcile them? Didio: The disconnect between the versions was done on purpose there.

Is Frank Miller’s Holy Terror, Batman! still in progress? Lee: I’ve seen pages, and think it’s expanded in scope from its original plans.

Dido: There are pages that were drawn, but I’m not sure of the timeline that it’s on. It’s on Frank’s timeline.

Matt Idleson will be the new editor on Supergirl, Didio announced.

As a membership roster been settled on for the new Suicide Squad miniseries written by John Ostrander? Can at least a name be given? Didio: I can give you many names: Multiplex.

In terms of the future of Batwoman, Didio said that he hopes to expand upon the character and continue using the character after 52.

Is there any hope for seeing a Sean McKeever-written all-ages Supergirl comic? Jones: Stay tuned, we’ll have some stuff coming up shortly.

Idleson: And the Supergirl series will become a little more user-friendly.

What’s going on with the Superman continuity in regards to his origin? Didio: At the end of the day, we’re discussing things like what did the rocket look like? What did Krypton look like? Those are part of the backdrop, not what define Superman.

But what about Smallville, and was he Superboy, etc? Didio: There’s a window that we’re leaving open that we can work in if we need.

Will DC being doing anything with more political elements woven in, a la Civil War at Marvel? Didio: Great question – but you can’t go spot on with a direct approach, because you don’t want to trivialize things in the real world. We bring a lot of reality to your books, but there are things we can’t bring in because the heroes just don’t work well in those aspects. There are certain places to tell those stories, but I’m not sure if that’s something that interacts well with the DC Universe.

Do the characters on the post-Infinite Crisis Earth remember their old lives? Didio: 52 #52.

Will Superboy Prime be coming back? Wayne: Maybe.

Are there plans for Ambush Bug? Dido: Keith [Giffen] is involved in Countdown, so we always find ways to work his favorite characters into his work.

What about an Ambush Bug collection? Wayne: Maybe.

Is Red Robin in the Countdown teaser Jason Todd? Didio: That was a mistake! [laughs] There is a dynamic with the Red Robin character not only with who he is, but his relationship with all the other characters.

After Trials of Shazam, Howard Porter will most likely move back to the Johnny Quest series he was working on previously.

Will there be more annuals coming? Didio: Yes – the Nightwing Annual in April which explains the proposal between Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon; and Outsiders Annual.

Winick: That will wrap up the One Year Later story, and be drawn by Scott McDaniel.

Didio: And a Wonder Woman Annual too.

Will DC keep Batman’s son Damien around, or get rid of him like last time? Didio: We can neither confirm nor deny that is Batman’s son. There are a lot of things that point toward it being his son, but that has not been confirmed. That will play into storylines in Batman coming up later this year, and maybe into Detective.

Where will see more of Ion? Beechen: He’ll be showing up big time in Countdown.

Who are the two smartest men in the DCU in front of Mr. Terrific? Wayne: He’s just very modest, so he’s saying he’s the third.

Will you be keeping Supernova or Booster Gold? Didio: Wouldn’t it be nice if we kept both?

Are Mark Waid and Alex Ross involved in the changes that seem to be turning the DC Universe into the direction of Kingdom Come? Didio: Maybe. Alex is involved with the plotting for the Justice Society which involves the Kingdom Come Starman.

Will we be seeing more gay men characters? Winick: I can only write three books a month.

Didio: We’ve got Pied Piper, and Obsidian will be returning to the pages of Justice Society.

Green Arrow #75 – Ollie asks Dinah to marry him, but Countdown teaser suggests that Black Canary rejects him? What’s going on there?

Winck: Green Arrow and Black Canary have had a very tumultuous relationship, and those can be awesome…or - maybe she’s pissed because there are these dead people got here, and Ollie got here late.

Binker said:
Will we see more of Terry McGuiness in the DCU after his appearance in Superman/Batman? Didio: We are considering it. Imagine if there was a multiverse where there were many worlds where there would be one where Terry McGuiness was Batman…

It wasn't Terry, it was Tim. :huh:

Huh? Didn't "Batman Beyond" show up twice? I dont recall him being Tim.

beyond.jpg

Didn't they admit later that was a typo?

So Red Robin is not Jason Todd??
Barry Allen is not coming back.
Am I correct that Didio said this?

Pretty much, meaning they are exactly who he originally said they are.

Aw, they missed my questions this time around. To be fair, mine weren't really that interesting anyway...a bit about why Green Arrow was ending instead of just continuing under a different writer, I don't even really remember what their response was by now. I had about 3/4ths of a mind to ask him about Linda Danvers, but I already knew what his answer was going to be anyway.

I'm surprised at newsarama not including a big bit in the middle where this six or seven year old kid got up to the mic and was like, "Is Wally coming back?" making the entire room go awwwwww. After a bunch of awkward non-answers from the panel, Dan invited him up to the desks up front (which incidentally had some loose beer bottles and Winick made a show of taking them away from the kid) and said that since you're part of the panel now, you get to answer the question, choose carefully. Of course the kid said "yes." It was hilarious.
Somewhat related
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=103614

WTF? that WRONG! Shado is NOT! Connors mother.. Shado is Roberts mother
i shuuuuuuure hope it wassnt Winick who said that just the dud who wrote the stuff that got it wrong..
Okay, completely out of context. Judd did not at any point imply that Shado was Connor's mother. He said that there was going to be interesting dynamic that will happen with her around, like [jokingly]"Dad, son, bad mom." He was talking about the dynamic, not the actual blood relationship. I don't understand how the guy possibly got it wrong.

and again.. where you there . if not where did you get that from?

Read the sixth post down from the top:dry:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"